Opossum is Interferring with my Feral Trap...help...

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So much for thinking this was gonna be a "piece of cake"...
I found a vet hospital that will neuter and immunize my feral fella. So I had all systems go and have found that an opposum is now nipping into that cat food so I've been not leaving it out until I know Butters (my feral guy) is out in the yard for certain and concerned the I'll only catch the opossum in the humane trap.

So I called the vet hospital and they will take him in a front loaded kitty crate as well as a human trap. I can't seem to get the feral near the carrier and I have to be around so I can sneak up and close the door.

Any advise on how to approach catching him with a kitty carrier? OR how to not catch the opposum??

Thanks bunches!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a thorny one all right! Well, covering the carrier with a towel helps "disguise" it, and I know sitting on a trap takes a lot of patience, but you may have to (remain close and out of sight to monitor who is going close/into it) in order to get your guy. GOOD LUCK and hopefully some other TCS members will have some good advice for you, too. Or you may try GoodSearching/Googling "humane trapping feral cats without trapping opossums" or some such, and seeing what you get? Keep us updated, won't you? I love possums, and having had many such friends, I know they do love cat food!

conbrio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My thought is to trap the opossum and then release him somewhere else far from your location and then you can get the kitty. That or get two traps, trap the opossum in one and put the trap with the opossum in it somewhere else, neighbors house, garage. And with the second trap hopefully get the cat. Then release the opossum as soon as you get the cat.

sham

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We always just go ahead and catch the possum, coons, whatever and release them elsewhere. Only thing I try to avoid are the skunks. I don't really want to move and empty that trap.
Also if possible depending on the size of the cat and possum get a slightly smaller trap. A full grown possum doesn't fit in a trap that just fits a cat. Unfortunately skunks still do though.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
domestic cats can get bigger then the biggest opossums its coons that outsize cats...

Doesnt re locating the animal ruin its chance on surviving? I know MANY MANY people HATE poor opossums, coons and skunks and will kill them soon as they get a chance, kill them in hoRRIFIC WAYS, please keep that in mind when you re locate another animal, saving one animal could lead to the death or misery of another and opossums, coons, skunks all have just as much right to live as cats

another thing to remember when u re locate an animal they are at greater risk of being attacked by the resident animal and being killed

For example I know someone that re located a opossum only to have it quickly killed by a coyote (remains found the next day) Animals tend to wander around when they get lost, wondering can often lead to them either getting killed by a preditor (USUALLY A HUMAN) or being attacked by the resident animal that lives in that area

Kinda like if we go drop one of our cats off in an area that is staked out by a feral tom cat, our cat would be in big trouble

sham

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen adult possums well over the size of any cat and if the cat isn't full grown it would easily be smaller than an adult possum. They may not be as tall due to short legs but their body is much fatter. Many can't fit width wise into the smaller traps and while a cat can lower itself a possum is already pretty close to the ground so cats often fit through much smaller openings than possums.

Not relocating them means I kill them. I'm not interested in trying to get a bale of hay for the horses in the evening only to have a possum or coon suddenly growling at and biting me in the dark. When my grandma lived in town she used to have them break into her basement and come up through the cat door to eat cat food and destroy the house. We ended up hauling a possum out into the country about monthly. If we didn't they'd just keep coming back so it was that or death. I apply the same rules now that I'm living out in the middle of nowhere. If it returns to my house and is in my buildings enough to be trapped it faces death or relocation to prevent injury to myself, my pets, and my property. If you live in town they are also at high risk for getting hit by cars or killed by even animal control for destroying things. Better off trying to make a life farther away from humans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I appreciate ALL the suggestions....

I would want to relocate the opossum as an extreme last resort. I don't want to stress another animal if I don't have to. I've never had any problems with the opossum and feel responsible since I've kinda lured it with food I've been setting out for the feral cat since July...he just an innocent bystander so to speak!

Getting a second cage might work...but I have to put a $65.00 cash deposit on each cage I rent from the shelter and this time of year CA$H is kinda scarce!!!

I think I will just have to kinda "sit" on the carrier and watch for the cat to come...and try to get him that way. He is slowly developing some trust with me and will answer my calls in his squeaky little voice and will let me sit close by him as he eats as long as I don't look at him for long or suddenly move or something...

He is a HUGE cat and so is the opossum so it's kinda hard for me to determine who is bigger...they both square off pretty equally...

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the opossums & coons here are nice creatures fun to look at, sure they will bite you if you corner it but so would a feral cat

I think opossums especially are very sweet creatures and i hate the way so many people treat them
just because they look like overgrown rats

Is the possum around at night? maybe you could do it at a time when the possum is not around and you know the cat will be hungry?

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I don't think I even know what an opossum even looks like (I'm a city girl). I just wanted to say good luck on catching Butters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

the opossums & coons here are nice creatures fun to look at, sure they will bite you if you corner it but so would a feral cat

I think opossums especially are very sweet creatures and i hate the way so many people treat them
just because they look like overgrown rats

Is the possum around at night? maybe you could do it at a time when the possum is not around and you know the cat will be hungry?
He (the opossum seems to be very docile and sweet) Yes, he is only around at night but sadly so is the feral cat. Which I have found out is typical feral behavior...hiding during the day and coming out at night to eat. So both are my night time visitors that I've never seen by the light of day!!

I didn't realize that opossum have a history of being treated so cruely but am finding that out. *sniff* Poor little fella- so yeah I just don't want to stress this guy out. I will figure something out here! Thanks for all these awsome suggestions, moral support and good VIBES!!!