Probably Fostering Kittens

nneessaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I'm thinking of fostering kittens. This may be quite long, sorry! My room is where the kittens would stay. I am at school from 7-2 so they would be alone during that time. It seems like a long time, but when I'm home I'll usually be in my room. I've been wanted to foster kittens for years now and finally my parents are starting to think of it being alright (they think I will not want to give them away). Sorry about all the questions, I really want to be a good foster home.

I have a hutch above my computer and I'm wondering if I have to take off the little things that are on it. I do have them double sided and they are hard to move. The first level of the hutch is 20 inches from my desk, then 9 inches to the next level and the top is 14 inches higher than that. I can get a picture if needed.

I was wondering:
1. Do you need two litterboxes or one?
2. I was thinking of getting a cat tree for the end of my bed, is it worth it?
3. How many beds/blankets do I need?
4. What are some cheap toys I can buy/make?
5. Do I need to buy a baby gate so they don't run out of my room when I open it?

I have had two cats before that we got as kittens so we have one cat since one passed away. We also have a cat-friendly dog. Oh, they supposed to stay in one room right? I think that's about it.

Thanks,
Vanessa

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nneessaa

I was wondering:
1. Do you need two litterboxes or one?
2. I was thinking of getting a cat tree for the end of my bed, is it worth it?
3. How many beds/blankets do I need?
4. What are some cheap toys I can buy/make?
5. Do I need to buy a baby gate so they don't run out of my room when I open it?

Thanks,
Vanessa
Hi Vanessa~

Welcome to the world of fostering kittens. You will never regret doing it! I'm going to answer your questions and then add a few tips and I'm sure you will get tons of advice from others...

1. One if fine Two is Better!!! And I would suggest getting two litter boxes. I am fostering a mama and her four kittens now and OMGOSH...they do fill a litter box up quickly!! Be sure to get a scooper because you will have to clean it several times a day and change the boxes a couple times a week at LEAST!

2.I have a cat tree and while kittens and cats will do fine without one...mine LOVE once they get around six weeks old or so. EBay has some great ones at really great prices so check that out. So, if you can afford one get one...to me they are worth it.

3. Beds and blankets depend upon how many you are fostering...ages etc. I personally use tons of towel. Go to a thrift store or ask friends and neighbors to donate any unused towels for you. I use landry baskets and a good ol cardbox box cut low enough to have the mama and older kittens move in and out of....

4. Straws, toilet paper rolls, rolled up paper, anything they can bat at are fun and free...Also boxes for them to crawl in and out of and climb up on....mine also like those pom pom balls made of tinsel and the ones make of yarn...

5.I use a baby gate because I keep mine in a spare bedroom but mostly to keep my dogs OUT of the room. Kittens will in no time master the gate and climb right over it...so that's just an option that you have to decide if it works best for you.

The time you are away from school will be fine unless you are fostering little one that you must bottle feed. They will need to feed every 2-3 hours or so...but for older kittens or those with mamas a few hours away is fine. Just make sure you give them lotsa your time for human bonding and such..

Get a heating pad because kittens need to be warm and will have to have one eventually....make sure you place it on low and keep a towel over it but also allow room for the kittens to crawl off the pad if they get too warm

Many kittens will have fleas so I'd recommend a flea comb and fine other safe methods of removing fleas from kittens...in a safe manner for their age.

Familiarize yourself with basic kitten care and first aid care and learn symtoms to watch for for emergencies...colds, diarrhea, non-thriving etc...

Never be afraid to call the rescue or shelter and ask questions or get advice!!!

RELAX and HAVE FUN!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nneessaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for all the info! I found a free cat tree on craigslist I'm trying to get, but otherwise I will probably get a cheap used one. After all, I'm not keeping the kittens so I don't want to spend too much money. I'm going to make several toys for them. I cant wait for the little buggers! I read online that it was not good to get a heating pad but I will research some more. My room is upstairs, so it is warmer. Unless I get really little kittens (which I wont), I don't think I need one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again,
Vanessa

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck on the cat tree! Regarding the heating pad...if you aren't comfortable using one that a hot water bottle (wrapped in a towel) or rice packets heated in the microwave will work too. It does depend on the size and age of kittens. The number killer of small kittens is getting chilled. Your rescue or animal shelter will guide you as well if you will send a heat source!

Be sure to post pictures of your foster family once you start!!!

nneessaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more question! Do I get the litter boxes that have the covering or the open ones?

Like this:

Or this:

nneessaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It isn't working I have tried editing my last post twice so I'm double posting. Sorry, I know this is bad to do. My parents changed their minds and I cant foster. It stinks. They just are not animal lovers like me and they don't care about all the animals that are killed in the shelters. When I get my own house after high school I'll foster some kittens. Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate your help.

Vanessa

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It isn't working I have tried editing my last post twice so I'm double posting. Sorry, I know this is bad to do. My parents changed their minds and I cant foster. It stinks. They just are not animal lovers like me and they don't care about all the animals that are killed in the shelters. When I get my own house after high school I'll foster some kittens. Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate your help.

Vanessa
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that
Fostering is a great thing to do in college if you live somewhere that you can do it after you graduate from high school. The reason I say this is because college students have much more flexible work/class schedules than most adults out of college and can probably be home more. I'm in grad school and we're trying to get more people to do foster care for pets (because they might want to help but don't want to have pets for long-term periods).

There are lots of ways you can help without being a foster parent right now. Do you live by any animal shelters? They are always looking for volunteers to do all sorts of things. For example, bringing the pets to local elder care homes for pet therapy, socializing the dogs and cats, feeding, cleaning, answering phones, that sort of thing.

You can also find a foster care network / rescue group in your area and volunteer to sit with the kittens and cats and do adoption days at pet stores. I know that my local rescue group does this. They bring all the kittens and cats into the pet store on Saturday and they are always looking for volunteers to sit with the animals and talk to potential adopters.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Vanessa
Vanessa, I am soooo sorry to hear that your parents changed their minds. My mom wasn't an animal person either and my dad is a crazy cat person like me! LOL! You will find a way to help out animals I just know it until you get your own place. And you never know maybe with some subtle education your parents might reconsider!

Good Luck...you rock, sweetie!!