Goodbye little mice.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I feel so guilty right now I don't know what to do.

This morning I woke up to find one of my little foster mice, Pumpkin, dead. The little guy was well over a year old so I figured it was just old age.

Tonight I went to clean the cage for the remaining mouse, Dizzy, and I found him in his little house, barely moving. I am holding him right now, keeping him warm. His eyes are barely open.

I don't know what happened. I think it's my fault and I am completely overcome with guilt. Those poor little creatures were completely relying on me for everything and I know I wasn't a very good mom to them.

I pray that little Pumpkin is at peace and that Dizzy will soon find peace also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Dizzy is gone now. He died about a minute after I wrote the original message.

That was just about 10 minutes after I found him too. He never really liked people, or being held, bu I still decided to hold him and keep him warm. I hope it brought him some comfort.

Goodbye little one.

To Pumpkin and Dizzy:
I know you are not really gone. Your bodies will soon turn to soil and you will continue to exist all around me. You are no longer in my care but will forever be with me. In your own little ways, you have taught me forgiveness, care and patience. I will do my best to keep these lessons with me always. I know I did not always live up to being the best caretaker for you two, but this is part of the lesson... I need to forgive myself too.
Thank you.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Don't beat yourself up over it - They don't have long life spans and I'm sure you had nothing to do with what happened to them.

They are now running around the Bridge annoying all the kitties

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's any comfort...

I don't know if mice are much like rats in their emotions and their behaviors, but I once had a pet rat who died of a broken heart within a week of us losing her sister to an ear infection. It's very possible that you did nothing at all wrong, but the two were simply bonded, and Dizzy didn't want to be without Pumpkin.

They are together now at the Bridge, like Jane said, annoying all the kitties.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

If it's any comfort...

I don't know if mice are much like rats in their emotions and their behaviors, but I once had a pet rat who died of a broken heart within a week of us losing her sister to an ear infection. It's very possible that you did nothing at all wrong, but the two were simply bonded, and Dizzy didn't want to be without Pumpkin.
I doubt that's what happened because they weren't living in the same cage anymore. They originally lived together (with 3 other mice) but then fighting broke out and they killed two of their siblings. If I had left them together, they would have killed each other.

I'm thinking more along the lines of something contagious they might have caught.

jiggypaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm sorry about your mices,I was just reading your memorial and it just reminded me when i thought my mices died, but I didn't know they were hibernating untill a friend told me.
I took them to the vetnurse and she checked their heartbeats with an earpeice and they were hibernating.Their hearts only beat once every few minutes and can seem like they are dead.
sometimes they hibernate and sometimes they don't,it depends if the temperature drops to below,I think it was 20 degrees if i remember rightly.

Do you think your two could be hibernating,It is very unusual for the two to die within hours of each other,I know it's really hard to tell

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jiggypaws

Hi I'm sorry about your mices,I was just reading your memorial and it just reminded me when i thought my mices died, but I didn't know they were hibernating untill a friend told me.
I took them to the vetnurse and she checked their heartbeats with an earpeice and they were hibernating.Their hearts only beat once every few minutes and can seem like they are dead.
sometimes they hibernate and sometimes they don't,it depends if the temperature drops to below,I think it was 20 degrees if i remember rightly.

Do you think your two could be hibernating,It is very unusual for the two to die within hours of each other,I know it's really hard to tell
Gee.... I sure hope it's not the case because I put their bodies in a freezer.
I doubt that's what happened. I don't remember with the first mouse, but the second one's body went rigid a few minutes after he died.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

I doubt that's what happened because they weren't living in the same cage anymore. They originally lived together (with 3 other mice) but then fighting broke out and they killed two of their siblings. If I had left them together, they would have killed each other.

I'm thinking more along the lines of something contagious they might have caught.
I'm so sorry
Rodents are susceptible to so many contagious illnesses. You never know how long they can and will live. I've had a pet rat live for seven years once before. Who would have known?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sooo sorry about your little mice!
I lost my hamster about a week ago. They may be tiny, but they still have a special place in our hearts and it always hurts to have to see them grow old so fast. Rest in peace little ones.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry, no matter what size all animals have love to offer and it soooo hard when they pass. They kind of take a piece of us with them. They're all better now, and in a better place!

RIP little mice!