Look what I found.....

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you know that we have been renovating our house. We are finding quite a few older items stuck in the walls....old newspapers, sports cards etc.

We just removed the kitchen cabinet this week and found this stuck in the wall. It's an old McDonald's Valentine card of Officer Big Mac!
I had to look him up on Google to find out who he is.....from the late 70's and early 80's:

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwwwwwwww thats so sweet!

Before we moved into this house, we had new moldings added to some of the door entrances. When they took the old molding off, before they put the new molding on I placed into the wall a newspaper with the date, a letter with Jim and my names on it. I listed our nieces and nephews names, our parents, siblings and of course our kitty cats and dog, their ages and how much we love them.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness!!! That is too neat. Did you happen to find out if it was worth any money???

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

We are finding quite a few older items stuck in the walls....old newspapers, sports cards etc.
How great is that!. I didn't realise you were finding thinks like that

Originally Posted by Pami

Before we moved into this house, we had new moldings added to some of the door entrances. When they took the old molding off, before they put the new molding on I placed into the wall a newspaper with the date, a letter with Jim and my names on it. I listed our nieces and nephews names, our parents, siblings and of course our kitty cats and dog, their ages and how much we love them.
Pam that's made me all warm and fuzzy , because i would have loved to find something like that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

.....I placed into the wall a newspaper with the date, a letter with Jim and my names on it. I listed our nieces and nephews names, our parents, siblings and of course our kitty cats and dog, their ages and how much we love them.
We have found something in each wall and I think each member of the family put one of their items there. We have found the fashion section of an old newspaper, a comic strip, a golf ball (
) a miniature doll and now this card. It gives you a good glimpse of the family's life when they were doing the construction.

Rob and I will be doing the same thing when we finish the walls. A little time capsule.

Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Oh my goodness!!! That is too neat. Did you happen to find out if it was worth any money???
Don't think it would be worth much....I saw another McDonald's card on ebay for $8.

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

How great is that!. I didn't realise you were finding thinks like that
I haven't had time to organize all my pictures but one of these days I'll put a thread together of all the things we have found during our renovations.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few years ago we were renovating the basement and in the walls I found old whole newspapers from the Thirties. They're still in good shape, and I'm sure there are many more in the walls.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

Some of you know that we have been renovating our house. We are finding quite a few older items stuck in the walls....old newspapers, sports cards etc.

We just removed the kitchen cabinet this week and found this stuck in the wall. It's an old McDonald's Valentine card of Officer Big Mac!
I had to look him up on Google to find out who he is.....from the late 70's and early 80's:

That's so cute! Poor Heather, she was so in love with Paul, and Paul just threw her valentine away! *sigh*

Oh! That's so sweet! Who knows when that will be found!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope no one minds me adding my find from my 1920's house to this thread. I was redoing the inside of a hall closet and found this...9 years after I purchased the house. It was hidden in a closet above the door where the inside trim was missing.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Makes one wonder what happened to Paul and Heather.
They are going through a bitter divorce right now.
(hope you get the references)

Seriously though, that is so sweet - I love finds like that. The only thing I have found is an old newspaper from the wartime era.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend worked remodeling some of the old down town buildings during a rennovation a few years ago and found 2 magazines with Marilyn Monroe on the covers. There were a bunch of cool papers and magazines, but those were the best. The guy that owned the building told him to get rid of any old junk like that he found, that he had no use for them.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that is so sweet! I remember when my parents decided to strip the walls to repaint, they found signatures of people that worked on the house in the 1920's (house was built in 1890's).

When we were cleaning out the house, there was a cubby hole in the attic that even my dad didn't explore apparently (yes, we were looking for the bag of money), and we found a parasole (sp?) that dated back to early 1900's. It still opened and closed, but the actual fabric was so rotten no antique dealer was interested. But, it was sooo cool! We also found a few letters written that were dated around 1909. They are packed away in one of the many boxes. I just think that kind of thing is so incredible....a glimpse into someone else's life.