feeding...what's the best??

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I am getting a Devon Rex (Murfie) next weekend....super excited by the way!!
I asked the breeder what she is feeding her already and she said Royal Canin (which I already feed my Shih Tzu as they have specific biscuits for her) and roo mince. I have never owned a cat before and want to give my little girl the BEST. As far as I know there's a limited amount of "dry" food where I live. Pet stores pretty much just stock royal canin, nutro, nutrience, advance, science diet, eukanuba ect

Any help would be GREAT

THANKS

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're big Nutro fans here, but I also feed other premium brands including Natural Balance, PetGold, Optimum Nature's Recipe, Triumph, Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken, Trader Joe's, and ProPlan, though I'm phasing the last out as it upsets my eldest's digestion.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's been lots of info on the net about feeding wet food only to cats as they say dry does nothing to clean their teeth but apparently the wet does. To do with enzymes or some such? I intended getting Blossom used to eating raw chicken bones, but have been slack in that department. When she was a baby she would have a go at them but now will only eat raw chicken or lamb meat. As with dogs I think its important that they have the chance to knaw on raw meaty bones. Its good for their teeth & jaws. Good exercise too.
Having said all that, Blossom gets Whiskas pouches, Purina One, Fancy Feast dry & Optimum. Of the supermarket brands they all have meat/meat by-products as the 1st ingredient.

litterboxqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The "mince" (ground meat to us americans) is a great addition! Anything raw is great, especially raw meaty bones for her teeth.

I reccomend a high quality canned food, with dry as snacks. Out of the ones you listed, I would only touch Royal Canin or Nutro, althought both are, in my opinion, are mid quality food.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you decide to give her raw meat make sure its suitable for human consumption b/c I've heard bad reports about pet meats with the additives they put in. To start off with you'll have to give her the same as she's used to from the breeder & switch slowly to prevent stomach upset. If you get her used to raw meaty bones its great for her teeth, keep an eye on her & take it off her when she's finished with it until you're sure she can handle them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kalikat

If you decide to give her raw meat make sure its suitable for human consumption b/c I've heard bad reports about pet meats with the additives they put in. To start off with you'll have to give her the same as she's used to from the breeder & switch slowly to prevent stomach upset. If you get her used to raw meaty bones its great for her teeth, keep an eye on her & take it off her when she's finished with it until you're sure she can handle them.
Pet Raw mixes are actually often SAFER than much of the super market meats ... Some are ALL natural( ie veggie feed and no antibiotics) and others are fully organic at better than human prices since they use the organs and bones

USE what the breeder did for at least 3 weeks then slowly mix to what you want ... I am a PM away

Of the ones listed RC and Nutro... I use Nutro with GREAT results

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kalikat

If you decide to give her raw meat make sure its suitable for human consumption b/c I've heard bad reports about pet meats with the additives they put in.
Don't get the supermarket pet mince or roo, it's full of preservatives. Most pet food shops will have preservative free meats, I feed human meat from the butcher and cut it into chunks myself. Get her used to chicken necks or wing tips young, most breeders I know already feed that anyway so you shouldn't have much trouble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I definately want to get her used to chicken necks/wings early as my dogs get those type of things and they have the whitest of white teeth and no bad breath!!!

Im leaning towards mainly giving her a high quality mince as her main food and as Litterboxqueen said, just having the biscuits as a snack.

As the breeder is already feeding her RC I will stick to that for at least a month, then if I find its not really the food for her I'll change it up.

Also this is a little off topic but does anyone know how I can find out about my breeder other than what she has on her web page?