Hmmm would a short fringe suit me?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My fringe has been as long as the rest of my hair for ages now and I'm thinking of chopping it short, but it's kinda scary!! I got my hair cut yesterday which has gotten me thinking about it even more.

I think I just need a change, but if it looks silly, it'll take forever to grow out again!

So here's a couple of pics after my haircut - what do you think? Would a short fringe look silly? If not, do you think a longish fringe (down to my eyebrows), or a short fringe?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your face shape is very similar to mine. Round!

The style best suited for that shape of face is either something long and layered in order to "narrow" the face. Or something about jaw length, again layered throughout with bangs about brow length. Also parting the hair on the side with the bangs swept partly over the forehead instead of no part at all with bangs covering the forehead, helps elongate the face.

Out of all of the hairstyles I have ever had, I've always received the most compliments with my hair jaw length, layered throughout and parted on the side with the bangs side swepts so they don't cover my whole forehead. I've received the least amount of compliments when my hair was longer.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
honestly I think your face shape (round) would not handle short bangs (what I call them!) but I do think that a longer style would suit you very well.

Do you wear your hair middle parted or side parted? if you wear it side parted, I think a graduated cut would look nice, like as it goes up the side it gets shorter and shorter. Does that make sense?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Your face shape is very similar to mine. Round!

The style best suited for that shape of face is either something long and layered in order to "narrow" the face. Or something about jaw length, again layered throughout with bangs about brow length. Also parting the hair on the side with the bangs swept partly over the forehead instead of no part at all with bangs covering the forehead, helps elongate the face.

Out of all of the hairstyles I have ever had, I've always received the most compliments with my hair jaw length, layered throughout and parted on the side with the bangs side swepts so they don't cover my whole forehead. I've received the least amount of compliments when my hair was longer.
that's what I was trying to say!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture of my usual hairstyle. It can be worn either straight, fluffed wtih the fingers and a hair dryer to give the "scrunched" look as in the picture, or even curled with a curling iron.

http://fashiondevo.files.wordpress.c...7/06/wavy1.jpg

Plus you have not only lots of hair, but it's also thick hair which tends to be heavy and hangs. Layers will lighten that up and give it some volume.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do short bangs!
I think Linda's suggestion might look really cute on you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My hair is VERY thick, and it looks "soft" at the moment because they straightened it. If I do a side part it just completely poofs out on the side with all the hair and looks odd.

I actually normally have it up in a pony tail or half up. I thought maybe with a fringe it would soften it a bit. And it is layered at the moment, it's just hard to tell in those pics.

Blah maybe I'll just keep with the same boring style. My hair and "fun" apparently don't go together...

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

My hair is VERY thick, and it looks "soft" at the moment because they straightened it. If I do a side part it just completely poofs out on the side with all the hair and looks odd.
Actually, I totally agree with layering and side part. My sister has the same hair, very thick. She had long hair forever, which weighed her hair and face down. She then went to a stylist who cut it at her jaw line, side parted and layered. It looks really good. You don't want too short, probably just past the eyebrow.

In order for thick hair to not 'poof' out, the stylist 'undercuts' the hair (basically thinning out around the crown/sides of head) so the layers fall properly. If you find an experienced hairstylist who cuts thick hair, they will have no problem.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

Actually, I totally agree with layering and side part. My sister has the same hair, very thick. She had long hair forever, which weighed her hair and face down. She then went to a stylist who cut it at her jaw line, side parted and layered. It looks really good. You don't want too short, probably just past the eyebrow.

In order for thick hair to not 'poof' out, the stylist 'undercuts' the hair (basically thinning out around the crown/sides of head) so the layers fall properly. If you find an experienced hairstylist who cuts thick hair, they will have no problem.
Exactly! My hair is super thick too and bobs just wind up making me look like a mushroom (but I have a oval/long face to act as the stem
)

Could you take a magazine with hair styles you like, cut out the models faces and insert yours (from a picture)? Perhaps that will help. You can also consult the hairdresser. The hairdressers I see love me because I tell them to do whatever they want as long as I look good in the end.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

The hairdressers I see love me because I tell them to do whatever they want as long as I look good in the end.
Ditto! It's hair and it grows back so I'm never concerned about bad cuts. I just sit and tell my stylest to have at it, LOL Sometimes I've left with jaw length hair, other times jaw length with a perm and colour, other times with super short pixie type hair.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarah, you're so pretty! I understand the desire to change something, but... you're absolutely lovely just as you are. At least promise you won't ever let anyone color your hair -- it couldn't possibly be any more beautiful!

HOWEVER -- about your "fringe." I'm going to go against the conventional wisdom. My face is round, too, but the best I've ever looked is right now, with a really good layered cut. The layers are long -- no shorter than five inches or so at the crown, and the ends brush my shoulders.

And despite what they always say about round faces, my stylist gave me a very thin, wispy fringe of bangs cut at a slight angle from about bridge-of-nose-length on the left to about mid-ear-length on the right, blending back into a curve that swings lower around the back... and it's very flattering!

It seems to me that the standard advice of "beauty experts" is always intended to play down what makes you unique... to try to make you look more like some generic standard of supposed beauty.

But you are a unique individual, and you are beautiful in your own right! Your face is round and filled with warmth and gentleness -- why try to look less like who you are?

If you want to try a "fringe," go for it! I really believe you'd look lovely!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Sarah, you're so pretty! I understand the desire to change something, but... you're absolutely lovely just as you are. At least promise you won't ever let anyone color your hair -- it couldn't possibly be any more beautiful!

If you want to try a "fringe," go for it! I really believe you'd look lovely!
Aww thanks!!!! I actually got tears in my eyes reading that. I've had a really crappy, emotional week and needed to hear something like that as it turns out...

I think I will give it a go. I'm keen for a change, and am interested to see if it works. If not, then who cares - it'll grow out.

I'll have to get a pic tomorrow of my hair once it's washed - it looks very different to how it does straight after the hairdresser.

As for the colour - I used to colour it regularly and hairdressers always said they loved my natural colour and that people would kill for my natural colour. I always coloured it though because that's what everyone else did. But I finally realised that I actually quite like it now, and it's in much better condition now I don't colour it at all and I haven't put any colour in for ages, last time was some light highlights to brighten it up in summer time 2 summers ago.

Thanks