Greasy fur

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I brought Lexi home last night, and I've noticed that she has really greasy fur. My hands always feel really oily after I've stroked her. She has spent alot of time outside (even though she's only 10 weeks old) by her previous carers. Would grooming help, or will I have to force a bath? She is shorthaired.

Thanks

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read your thread in the lounge, congratulations on adopting Lexi. I really don't have any advice for you, but since Lexi has been exposed to your other cat, I think you should take Lexi to the vet just the way she is and let the vet see the condition of her fur and etc. Congratulations again, and I hope Lexi continues to adjust well to her new home.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I'd give her a bath to get whatever is on her fur off. If the coat remains greasy, it could be the diet that is affecting the coat; so if the bath doesn't help, you know where to start looking

schizek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you should give her a bath. I have rescued a lot of kittens off the street (4 more this past week) and have had to give them all a bath. They go from icky dirty strays to squeaky clean housecats immediately! In fact, the latest two I caught (Josephine and Edward... below) are scheduled for a bath in about 30 minutes. I gave them their Frontline the other day and wanted to wait for it to do it's job. I'm sure they will love it... well, perhaps not.

The easiest way I have found to give kittens a bath (and the least stressful) is to do it in the tub with my detachable shower nozzle. You can put a small harness on them attached to a leash just in case they escape your grasp and then gently scruff them while washing. If they are really scared I take a wash cloth and drape it over their head and they usually calm down quite a bit.

Go slow and make sure they are at the end of the tub that is opposite the drain so they aren't standing in water. She will be so happy to be clean that I'm sure she will forget that you even gave her one.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
try a bath ... but likely the prior food was not a great one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It turns out that she has worms. Could this contribute to this?

I don't have a bath, just a shower tray, and my nozzle doesn't go right to the bottom. But I will try it in a few days as I have treated her ith a worming spot-on.

Also, shes on the same food as Links now, and hes got a lovely soft coat, and Ziggy always did too. So hopefully that will improve things after the bath.

schizek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Try bathing in the kitchen sink.
I agree. A sink would probably be the next best thing... and probably way easier on your back!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always used to bath my persian in the laundry tub with one of those rubber shower hoses attached to the tap.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the bath thing. There is something outside that gets their hair all nasty like that! I had Leya out for trick or treating and she kept rolling around in things and when I took her back inside I noticed that she was all greasy.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

So I brought Lexi home last night, and I've noticed that she has really greasy fur. My hands always feel really oily after I've stroked her. She has spent alot of time outside (even though she's only 10 weeks old) by her previous carers. Would grooming help, or will I have to force a bath? She is shorthaired.

Thanks
Yes, I would have her checked out just in case there is something underlying. But Jake had very greasy fur too. So here is a way to get her coat squeeky clean! Get a can of Goop handcleaner (they also sell groomers goop online but the regular goop is what we all used before they had that). Rub kitty down good with lots of Goop. Rinse and then lather up with Dawn dish washing liquid. Rinse and then lather up with your regular cat/kitten shampoo/conditioner. Rinse with 2-3 gallons of water mixed with 3 Tablespoons of white vinegar. It sounds like a lot but it doesn't take that long if you have everything set up and ready before hand. This method kept Jake's coat grease free for 6-8 weeks. If I left any of those steps out the greasy fur returned much quicker (within a couple weeks). If you feel you can't do all those steps the first time then go with the Goop rub down, rinse and the dawn then vinegar rinse. Good luck!

BTW I always bathe my cats in the kitchen sink. Much easier on the back! Use a rubber mat in the bottom so the cat doesn't skid around and get scared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just bought her a shampoo, which helps with shed control and hairballs. Her paws are still so filthy, she doesn't seem to be grooming properly. I hope this stuff works for her. Her face is dirty too, but I guess I'll have to let er take care of that.

Kitchen Sink tonight Lexi!!!!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet she's too tired from worms to groom properly. She might appreciate a bath (not during, but after)...

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

I bet she's too tired from worms to groom properly. She might appreciate a bath (not during, but after)...
I agree... a bath will make her feel better. You can take a warm, wet washcloth and wash her face. I dunk it in the vinegar rinse water I've drawn up ahead.