Why Do We Bother??

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We spend a small fortune on cat toys for their amusement, and they play w/ something that doesn't cost us a penny - like a tinfoil ball or something as equally goofy..

I just heard a commotion in the kitchen, and got up to see what was going on. There's Geronimo, playing w/ that paper/foil thingy that you pull off the top of the milk jug: not the ring or the plastic top - but the piece that you can never get a grip on to pull off. And he must have about a thousand dollars worth of toys to choose from, but he plays w/ something that didn't cost a cent..

Why do we bother??

~KK~

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've asked myself that question numerous times!
Kojak's favorite toys as of late are my hair ties he likes to steal when i'm not looking....not the basket full of nice toys in the cat room, my hair ties.
(i try to keep them all tucked away in a place he can't access as they are a chocking / blockage hazard...but he somehow found one the other night!
)

koholint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats favorite toy is the rod with a "bird" attached to the end of it. They break it all to often so we quit buying them. Other than that, the simplest piece of garbage will catch their attention.

I can only say they are like us....They have preferences when it comes to toys

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked myself this question just yesterday...Stan was having a real ball playing with a piece of uncooked penne pasta that fell on the floor...

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL! I hear ya!

Frisco seems to be more interested in bottle caps, pencils and closepins/chip clips.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In some ways they are just like small children. Many times when my human kids were little they would play with the box that a toy came in rather than the toy.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just the other day Bakker was playing with something-I went to investigate and it was a leftover piece of rope caulking that I had forgotten to throw away!!

There were perfectly good toys just a few feet away too.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For some weird reason, if I put all of their toys into their toy "bucket", they will fetch them out and play with them. I put all their toys back at least once a week and then later find them all over the house. It's almost like being in the bucket makes it a forbidden thing and therefore more appealing. It's kind of like kids with a toy box.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have asked myself that so many times. I guess the answer is we love our kitties so much that we can't help spoiling them. One of my cat's favorite toys is a wadded piece of paper.
Go figure.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how it is. Popsie won't play with anything that comes designed for cats. He'd rather play with an earplug or the other day he was playing with a little tiny brushed used for cleaning out a beard trimmer.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We made our cats day yesterday. John got a package in the mail and it was full of those packing "peanuts". The cats have been occupied for HOURS ever since!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

In some ways they are just like small children. Many times when my human kids were little they would play with the box that a toy came in rather than the toy.
I remember those days all too well!
My son was always more interested in the boxes & the wrapping paper & ribbons than he was w/ the actual gift.
: But he outgrew that stage soon enough, and then wanted all the "good" stuff - like $100.00 designer shoes or expensive Nintendo games, etc.
And then you would hear, "Well my friend so-and-so has all that stuff - why can't I?!" Because your friend's parents make more money than I do, that's why!
:

A couple of days ago, I noticed the plug for the bathroom sink was missing, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I figured it was gone for good, and had disappeared into the cat "black hole." This morning, I was sorting out the laundry, and came across it in the laundry basket.
I can pretty much figure out who put it in there..

Further proof that there's no point in buying all those cat toys, b/c they'd rather play w/ something else anyway...

~KK~

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is digusting as heck, but when Spaz was a kitten, she used to bring pieces of litterbox tootsie rolls up and bat them around the kitchen floor.

We finially got her to stop doing that, now she steal bows from any wrapped gift.
Vash likes string, so any cat toy with string invovled is a good investment.
The rest of them like stuffed toys and balls, as well as milk jug rings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

This is digusting as heck, but when Spaz was a kitten, she used to bring pieces of litterbox tootsie rolls up and bat them around the kitchen floor.

I once had a cat who played w/ those "tootsie-rolls" too!
I don't recall which one it was, but it used to drive me nuts - especially when I would step on one in the middle of the night if I had to get up to use the bathroom!

Maverick, Geronimo, & Spencer like to play w/ dead cockroaches - not the little ones, but those great big honkin' things that fly.
Living in Texas, no matter how clean you keep your house, it's unavoidable to get one now & again. I don't get too many (thankfully!) b/c I'm a pretty fussy housekeeper, but occasionally one will make an appearance, and the three of them will invariably notice and take turns batting it around till I take the nasty thing away from them - which, of course, will earn me the look of, "How DARE you take our fun away from us!!"
They also love to chase those little lizards around, too. I'll allow it, till it gets out of hand - then I'll take it away, b/c I can't stand to see anything suffer..
:

~KK~