Why I'm a Cat Person

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have three cats (now) and a dog. Dozer (the dog) has been driving me crazy for the past two days. I thought the problem was behavioral, but it turned out to be veterinary -- he was basically showing the types of symptoms that I get when my IBS flares up (okay, TMI, sorry!).

I've been very emotional dealing with the constant whining and crying and barking of the dog. I'm just not able to handle it when he gets like this and won't stop. *Finally* he's stopped, now that he's managed to have a huge bowel movement (yes, more TMI!).

Reagan is doing what she can right now to make me feel better, and even though Whisper *hates* me for bringing Molly in (he'll get over it), he's fussing all over me, too, rubbing against me and purring for the first time in days.

I believe that cats, at least as much as dogs, sense our moods and try to make things right when they aren't. It's such a lovely, lovely thing in the behavior of cats!

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a cat person too, for soooo many reasons.

I used to just love dogs, but as I get older and more menopausal, (talk about your tmi) they just get on my nerves and make me feel drained.

The cats do the opposite, make me feel calm and rested.

don't know why, just works for me.

but I'm glad your dog feels better. IBS is no laughing matter.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

IBS is no laughing matter.
Yeah - no
(no pun intended!): I suffer from it too (more TMI!).

I have always been a cat person, too, and always will be, for many reasons!
Dogs are too "needy", and cats are more independent. Dogs slobber all over you
- cats don't! You can train a cat to use the litterbox, but dogs do their business all over the yard, and you end up stepping in it.
Cats are smarter than dogs - think about it: Who "obeys" whom??
Dogs are too hyper, and make me nervous: cats are more relaxed & laid back, and calm my nerves.
Dogs usually have an icky smell about them - especially after they get wet, and stink up your furniture.
- cats never smell icky.

Don't get me wrong: I don't dislike dogs, or any animal!
I just think cats are better!!

~KK~

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These posts truly resonate with me...being a cat person too. My son was allergic to cats so for 19 years I didn't have any but did get two dogs...Shih Tzu (Shih Tzu means Lion Dog) so I guess subconsciously I was getting cat looking dogs! LOL!!

I have three dogs and while I do love them...the do try my patience and my cats are my "tranqulizers"....

My first love was "Clarence the crossed-eye lion" on a show called Daktari in the 60's and I'd chase down all the poor neighborhood cats and proclaim to my mom the followed me home...she would quietly release them while I took my naps...but I so understand cat people!!!!

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Yeah - no
(no pun intended!): I suffer from it too (more TMI!).

I have always been a cat person, too, and always will be, for many reasons!
Dogs are too "needy", and cats are more independent. Dogs slobber all over you
- cats don't! You can train a cat to use the litterbox, but dogs do their business all over the yard, and you end up stepping in it.
Cats are smarter than dogs - think about it: Who "obeys" whom??
Dogs are too hyper, and make me nervous: cats are more relaxed & laid back, and calm my nerves.
Dogs usually have an icky smell about them - especially after they get wet, and stink up your furniture.
- cats never smell icky.

Don't get me wrong: I don't dislike dogs, or any animal!
I just think cats are better!!

~KK~
yeah, and cats don't hump your leg. or bark all day long while tied out (next farm over, ties their dog while they're at work and it barks ALL day long, echo-ing through the valley)

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

yeah, and cats don't hump your leg. or bark all day long while tied out (next farm over, ties their dog while they're at work and it barks ALL day long, echo-ing through the valley)
That's another thing - cats don't keep you up all night long b/c of their yapping! We have the same problem here too: dogs that bark all night long which prevents you from sleeping!
But it's really not the dogs' fault; it's the owners who don't bother to train the dog to shut up!

~KK~

koholint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are like this too. Sparkles with fuss at us when we are being rowdy, and all of the cats will love up on us when we are upset.

I guess they can sense human emotions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Whisper *does* keep me up all night with the head butts to the face, but that's another story.

For example, right now Dozer is angry again. I've had to isolate him in case he continues to have accidents, so that he doesn't make a mess of my carpet. He's not crated, but he is in our basement, which is plenty warm and has a bed for him, but also where any accidents can easily be cleaned up. He doesn't want to be there -- he probably wants to come up here with me and whine and whine and whine (yes, I'm venting
). He's barking his head off, and I'm beginning to lose my cool again.

The cats? Whisper keeps trying to get belly rubs, and Reagan is keeping a careful eye on my overall mood, deciding when to approach. Molly is downstairs in the living room, probably considering the next best way to let off a real stink bomb of a poop (because hers sure smell bad!).

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I don't dislike dogs
I do. Filthy, smelly, noisy, annoying, high-maintenance creatures. My least favorite thing about dogs is that I can't prevent my neighbors from owning them. Living next to the wrong dog owner is like being in a movie theater with a crying baby, but the movie never ends.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan

I do. Filthy, smelly, noisy, annoying, high-maintenance creatures.
Erm, we have quite a few members with dogs here, so that would upset me reading that if i had one.

I'm a cat person, but i certainly don't dislike dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for pointing that out, Rosie. I'm currently having a lot of difficulty with our dog, but I put a *lot* of work into him. I don't find that he smells any worse than Molly does (she has yet to be bathed), and Reagan is usually the dirtiest animal in the house because she gets into things. She's also the most destructive and possibly overall the most high-maintenance.

I love all four of them equally.

I'm still a cat person.

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Erm, we have quite a few members with dogs here, so that would upset me reading that if i had one.

I'm a cat person, but i certainly don't dislike dogs.
Tastes are not to be judged or discussed and you have to respect other people's opinion as well.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I do. Filthy, smelly, noisy, annoying, high-maintenance creatures. My least favorite thing about dogs is that I can't prevent my neighbors from owning them. Living next to the wrong dog owner is like being in a movie theater with a crying baby, but the movie never ends.

MEEEE-OOOWWWWWWWW! *cringe* Dogs are people too, ya know?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I do. Filthy, smelly, noisy, annoying, high-maintenance creatures.
I am laughing with you on this one. I own 2 dogs and am about to adopt a third. They do not need to be any of these traits, if you actually have a clue on how to raise them properly. I'm sorry that you have neighbors without a clue.

Filthy and smelly? bathe them
Noisy and annoying? train them
High-maintenance? more so than cats because you have to let them outside, but other than that, not necessarily so. I spend far more time taking care of the cats than I do my dogs.

I'm a cat person first but a dog person close behind that. I love cats for their independence. I love dogs for their dependence.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, cats have an advantage dogs do not (and I've enjoyed both!)

Cats thrive on being spoiled.

When dogs are spoiled, the consequences can be as bad as neglect. A spoiled dog either tries to take over, and becomes aggressive and demanding, or can't take the implied responsibility, and becomes nervous and insecure.

While a cat takes spoiling in their stride. We can spoil them as much as we want, and what happens?

They become happier, and better behaved.

Seems like a win-win to me.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

To that I gotta say, "amen"

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a cat person to, but I am truly an animal person. Instead of cats over dogs, it's more like cats/animals over people
. I think that we each have different insights and interpretations of our relationships and communication with our pets. I personally have always found a deep connection with cats, Maia being my best friend and as Dependant on me as I on her for different but in the end the same reason, love!

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not the cats and dogs who are independent or dependent. It's the OWNERS.

Owning cats allows you be independent, you don't have to go out or see anyone, you can be in your own world at home. Having a dog makes you dependent, you have to get out in the world and interact with other people and dogs since a dog needs exercise and needs to be socialized.
Some people need the socializing more than the dogs, just look at some of the posts here.

For every story about a dog who barks, is dirty etc, there will be a matching one about cats killing birds or a house that smells like a litter box, etc. it's the owners not the animals.