How do I give meds to a non-willing feline!

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering a mama and her four kittens. One of the kittens had a runny nose and eyes so the shelter gave me two types of antibiotics for her and her littermates and mama. I can administer to the kittens just fine but mama...oh boy! I've tried wrapping her in a towel...hiding in wet food...any suggestions?!? Both meds are in liquid form...

THANKS!!!!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about those pill covers for cats? I haven't used them so I don't know if it would work for liquid in the middle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

How about those pill covers for cats? I haven't used them so I don't know if it would work for liquid in the middle.
That something I haven't tried..thanks bunches! I'll look for some of those in the morning...

tsorcus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me syringes with antibiotics for the two kittens this week, which is the first time I've ever had to inject anyone. It's far easier than giving an unwilling cat a tablet! All you do is lift up the loose skin at the neck and inject the antibiotics under the skin. You can't even see the needle going in because of the fur and it's over before the cat knows what hit it with no lasting pain. Much less stress all around. The only downside is that you do need two people to do it - one to hold the cat and one to inject.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get an antibiotic in pill form that you can crush, I've had success mixing it into a small bit of food which my holy terror then eats. You have to make sure they eat every bit of the food though - so what I end up doing is putting the last bit on my finger for him to lick off. Alternatively, if he won't do that, I smear it on his paw or whatever part of him I can get, and he licks it off his fur.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most of the meds I gave Seamus this summer with his giardia I was able to mix in a little bit of food. Liquid antibiotic, liquid anti-vomit and powdered for the giardia. When he was being fussy about eating it the first couple days, I'd sit and hand feed him. He liked being babied and he ate it all. I also made sure that the dosing times were the only times he ate, so he'd actually eat.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tsorcus

My vet gave me syringes with antibiotics for the two kittens this week, which is the first time I've ever had to inject anyone. It's far easier than giving an unwilling cat a tablet! All you do is lift up the loose skin at the neck and inject the antibiotics under the skin. You can't even see the needle going in because of the fur and it's over before the cat knows what hit it with no lasting pain. Much less stress all around. The only downside is that you do need two people to do it - one to hold the cat and one to inject.
Originally Posted by erinca7821

Most of the meds I gave Seamus this summer with his giardia I was able to mix in a little bit of food. Liquid antibiotic, liquid anti-vomit and powdered for the giardia. When he was being fussy about eating it the first couple days, I'd sit and hand feed him. He liked being babied and he ate it all. I also made sure that the dosing times were the only times he ate, so he'd actually eat.
Originally Posted by Misty8723

If you can get an antibiotic in pill form that you can crush, I've had success mixing it into a small bit of food which my holy terror then eats. You have to make sure they eat every bit of the food though - so what I end up doing is putting the last bit on my finger for him to lick off. Alternatively, if he won't do that, I smear it on his paw or whatever part of him I can get, and he licks it off his fur.
Thanks for ALL the great suggestions!!! Wish me luck!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give my semi-feral cats their medication this way (regardless of pill form or liquid):

Kneel on the floor with your ankles crossed under your behind. Place the cat between your thighs with the cat's head facing away from your body (I just walk up to the cat from behind and kneel over them). By putting the cat in this position, they cannot back up (your ankles hold them in place) and they can't move side to side. You only need to control their forward movement. Have the medication ready to administer (either fill the dropper or place the pill into a pill gun).

Assuming you are right handed: Place your left hand over the top of the cat's head with your thumb on one side of their mouth and your fingers on the other side. Lift their mouth open and insert the dropper/pill gun into the right side of their mouth, somewhere between their front canines and their back teeth. Make sure it is coming in at an angle towards their throat. Inject the medicine, drop the dropper/pill gun and place that hand under their chin and left the face skyward. Stroke their throat until they swallow.

It is much easier if you have treats handy and give them a treat once done. I like to do this when they are having their wet food and often they will just lower their head back to the bowl when you are done.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I give my semi-feral cats their medication this way (regardless of pill form or liquid):

Kneel on the floor with your ankles crossed under your behind. Place the cat between your thighs with the cat's head facing away from your body (I just walk up to the cat from behind and kneel over them). By putting the cat in this position, they cannot back up (your ankles hold them in place) and they can't move side to side. You only need to control their forward movement. Have the medication ready to administer (either fill the dropper or place the pill into a pill gun).

Assuming you are right handed: Place your left hand over the top of the cat's head with your thumb on one side of their mouth and your fingers on the other side. Lift their mouth open and insert the dropper/pill gun into the right side of their mouth, somewhere between their front canines and their back teeth. Make sure it is coming in at an angle towards their throat. Inject the medicine, drop the dropper/pill gun and place that hand under their chin and left the face skyward. Stroke their throat until they swallow.

It is much easier if you have treats handy and give them a treat once done. I like to do this when they are having their wet food and often they will just lower their head back to the bowl when you are done.
Thank you MomofMany..this is something I can really try today...since I already have the antibiotics in liquid form! Thank you for the steps!!!

katbud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i hope this doesnt come off sounding mean-spirited, but take up the momma cats food and let her get hungry. you can tease her by picking up her food bowl and putting some food in it then pouring it back in the bag and set the bowl down to let her smell the bowl. when she gets hungry she'll eat the medicine mixed in with a dab of chow.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you weren't thinking in a mean manner at all.. this is a nursing mama and a foster cat and I don't want to stress her in the least especially with witholding food from her..she eats constantly. She was homeless and had to scour for food so food is one think I don't want her to fret about....But in another cat this might work perfectly!!!