maybe normal, maybe not?

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the new stray, who has become very lovey with me is doing something kinda strange.
you know how when you pet a cat it will go round your legs rubbing it's face on you ?

well, this cat does this extremely fast! I mean, he's almost frantic about it.

is this normal?

it's almost like he's in fast forward!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's happy to have a Meowmy, that's all!!

One of the strays I used to have would get this way, too. He was a big, tough, strong tomcat, and just about knocked me on my butt a few times b/c he would rub up against me so hard!

Your stray is just showing you how much he loves you!!
He probably never had anyone who cared about him, and is just appreciative!

~KK~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, let's just hope he still feels that way after Monday. Getting neutered.

I'm glad it's a love thing, I thought "any minute now, he's gonna go berserk on me"

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

well, let's just hope he still feels that way after Monday. Getting neutered.

I'm glad it's a love thing, I thought "any minute now, he's gonna go berserk on me"
He won't like getting neutered, that's for sure, but he'll be so glad to see you again that he'll "forgive" you soon enough!
But don't be surprised if he "pouts" a little, first..

~KK~

schizek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like to me he is just very happy to have someone who cares about him and pays attention to him. Much like a starving cat will get excited and ravenous about getting a bowl of canned kitty food, cats need love too and can act just as ravenous about it. I'm glad he found you! (I'm sure he is as well)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds as if you have a very affectionate cat! My Sonic goes nuts when I get home from work, climbing all over me, rubbing over everything, and headbutting me in the face.

As you're his new human, he also wants to make sure that you have his scent on you, and he's marking you as his property

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second and third everything people are saying here. Many of my shelter cats are overwhelmingly glad to see me when I come in. They are frantic for attention!! One of them stretches out on her side and pulls herself along the sides of the cage almost like a pinwheel... others jump on me and climb up to be near my face, and will rub and groom my hair. Another one - a great big tom cat, would wrap himself around one of my ankles and hang on!! He was like a furry, 15 lb ankle weight!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had 2 cats like that in my life (OTB Sebastion and Eightball). My poor DH gets tired of me saying "settle down Eightball". He is 10 years old and constantly in motion.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
....making up for lost time.

I've seen cats just get out of a shelter that are overly affectionate for the first few weeks or months revert to a more normal state after they're secure in their new environment.

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Pooka-Mari was like that! She was a stray brought home by my Father-in-Law and whenever I went over to their house Pooka wound literally climb me to be able to run all over my face and head butt me too! She has calmed down now but is still just soooo affectionate!!
She always greats me with a head butt! and will sit on my chest if I let her (although she is really too big to do it now!!
) Give him some time, but he does sound like he will always be a very loving cat!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

As you're his new human, he also wants to make sure that you have his scent on you, and he's marking you as his property
Yeah, that too!
Heaven forbid it some other cat comes along and tries to take HIS Meowmy away from him!

Geronimo, who's as "stuck up" as they come, will make it a point to mark HIS territory, whenever he sees one of my other furbabies rubbing up against HIS Meowmy!
: He'll also come and sit on Mewomy's lap, whenever Maverick is there: otherwise, he could care less.
:

~KK~