mmmm...yummy NOT!!!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that I have a defective cat

When we tried the WBCL (which I love), we noticed that there wasn't much of a tracking problem. This is because of two things, it doesn't track very well, and the pieces the did end up on the floor got munched up by Darcy

She had never eaten litter bits off of the floor until we tried the corn litter, but now that we are using clay clumping litter (we had 40lbs left that had to be used up) she is nibbling on the little bits that she finds on the floor.

From what I have observed, she only nibbles the few pieces that are on the floor and she doesn't snack on the stuff in the box. She is not acting ill, but is this really bad for her? I try to keep the pieces as picked up as possible, but I can't be on patrol 24/7.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not think it is safe for her to be eating the clay litter.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The WBCL is just corn and will pass through her system. Clay on the other hand attracts the moisture from their bodies and can cause clumps in their systems. Clay litter scares me so I don't use it. I especially wouldn't use it on young kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she isn't a little kitten. She is about 7mos old, so I would think that she would know better. I hope that one or two pieces a day won't hurt her

As soon as the clay litter is finished, I will be going back to the corn litter.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

The WBCL is just corn and will pass through her system. Clay on the other hand attracts the moisture from their bodies and can cause clumps in their systems. Clay litter scares me so I don't use it. I especially wouldn't use it on young kittens.
I have never seen mine eat it but it makes me feel better knowing the corn is safer for their systems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so for those that are interested, I got the final word from my vet. She said that if Darcy is eating only a few pieces (like under 6 per day) that the litter pieces will be swept along by her food. The chemicals on the litter (fragrances and such) are not the greatest, but won't do a whole lot of damage. The thing that she was most worried about was that I mentioned that Darcy crunches up the little pieces before swallowing them. The vet was worried about chipping the teeth and such. Final opinion was that if Darcy's appetite for food wasn't affected and she seemed to be feeling alright, then it isn't terrible, just undesirable.