Litter - what is the best?

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

I'm sure this has been an on-going never ending topic. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that can help answer my question so here it is.

I am looking for the following in litter:

1. natural and environmentally friendly
2. excellent clumping
3. excellent at odor control
4. dust free or close to dust free
5. less tracking

Background:

I have used the following:

Arm & Hammer multi-cat - dusty, clay (not safe), clumps well, less odor, tracks!
Tidy Cats multi-cat - less dusty compare to A&H, clay (not safe), doesn't clump as well (it crumbles), less odor, tracks!
Scoopy Away multi-cat - less dusty compared to A&H and Tidy, clay (not safe), clumps well, less odor, tracks!

Feline Pine pellets - dusty when turns to saw dust, natural (safe), only clumps when it turns to saw dust, strong odor with #2, tracks when in saw dust
Yesterday's News - no dust but this is TERRIBLE, no clump and no odor control
Miracle extra strength odor control (currently using) - not dusty, natural, clumps, stinks!, tracks!

I plan on buying World's Best litter tonight.

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated here.

burbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I just got my new kitten 1 month ago, and I was in the same position as you were trying to find the right kitty litter. Well, for me it was down to two brands:
1) World's Best Cat Litter

2) Arm And Hammer Super Scoop/ Blends

I was afraid of getting anything made of clay because I heard some stories how if kittens injest it, it can expand in their stomach and cause serious problems. So I went with the WBCL and absolutely loved it, despite hearing rumors about your house smelling like stink corn. I find the smell of corn not too strong at all. It clumps extremely well, and does a great job of controlling the odor. Also, there is no dust. It does track, but what litter doesn't? I also like the fact that it is 100% safe and natural.

A week later, I decided to get a second litter box, and thought of trying Arm & Hammer's litter based on all the rave reviews... What a mistake! It doesn't clump well, has a ton of dust, and the litter box reeks of odor! Everything that the box claims to do was a complete lie... at least in my experience. With WBCL, I can go for 3 days without cleaning the litter box, and it won't smell... SERIOUS!

I say go with the World's Best Cat Litter. This is currently my Holy Grail (HG). Hope this helps!

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am currently using the target brand of litter. It probably does not meet any of your criteria but it is cheap and it clumps well and since I just throw it away anyway I would rather spend the money on her food.

schizek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried so many different types of little for my boys that I can't even list them all. My favorite out of all of them is Tidy Cats Small Spaces. I was hesitant to use it because I didn't like the normal Tidy Cats Scoopable, but this stuff is amazing. It clumps like a DREAM and it scoops very easily. I used to have to scoop and then jiggle a lot to get out the loose grains caught in the scooper, but this stuff just drains out like quick sand and what is left on the scooper is a hard clump just waiting to be tossed out. I have had less problems with dust than other litters although there is still some. It also helps the smell. I have had several visitors say they were shocked that I even had a cat (let alone two) because it didn't smell like it.

Hope this helps!

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaKitties

Feline Pine pellets - dusty when turns to saw dust, natural (safe), only clumps when it turns to saw dust, strong odor with #2, tracks when in saw dust
I don't think that "strong odor with #2" can be avoided, but if you buy a Feline Pine litter box, there will be no problems with dust, and wood pellets will be very low-maintenance. I use the FP box with inexpensive stove pellets, scoop whenever I smell #2, and I wouldn't think of switching to anything else. One (minor, IMO) downside with plenty of upside.

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by burbabies

Hi,

I just got my new kitten 1 month ago, and I was in the same position as you were trying to find the right kitty litter. Well, for me it was down to two brands:
1) World's Best Cat Litter

2) Arm And Hammer Super Scoop/ Blends

I was afraid of getting anything made of clay because I heard some stories how if kittens injest it, it can expand in their stomach and cause serious problems. So I went with the WBCL and absolutely loved it, despite hearing rumors about your house smelling like stink corn. I find the smell of corn not too strong at all. It clumps extremely well, and does a great job of controlling the odor. Also, there is no dust. It does track, but what litter doesn't? I also like the fact that it is 100% safe and natural.

A week later, I decided to get a second litter box, and thought of trying Arm & Hammer's litter based on all the rave reviews... What a mistake! It doesn't clump well, has a ton of dust, and the litter box reeks of odor! Everything that the box claims to do was a complete lie... at least in my experience. With WBCL, I can go for 3 days without cleaning the litter box, and it won't smell... SERIOUS!

I say go with the World's Best Cat Litter. This is currently my Holy Grail (HG). Hope this helps!
That's funny, we did the same thing -- started with World's Best and switched to Arm & Hammer Super Scoop to try it out. Our experience is exactly the opposite, though -- the super scoop clumps much better, has significantly better odor control, and tracks outside the box less.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use a mix of Tidy Cats Small Spaces and Arm&Hammer Multi cat super scoop. has LITTLE dust, clumps HARD, and keeps down smell, works awesome!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
feline pine scoop here ... i mix a touch of world best and or swheet scoop

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaKitties

Hi

I'm sure this has been an on-going never ending topic. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that can help answer my question so here it is.

I am looking for the following in litter:

1. natural and environmentally friendly
2. excellent clumping
3. excellent at odor control
4. dust free or close to dust free
5. less tracking

Background:

I have used the following:

Arm & Hammer multi-cat - dusty, clay (not safe), clumps well, less odor, tracks!
Tidy Cats multi-cat - less dusty compare to A&H, clay (not safe), doesn't clump as well (it crumbles), less odor, tracks!
Scoopy Away multi-cat - less dusty compared to A&H and Tidy, clay (not safe), clumps well, less odor, tracks!

Yesterday's News - no dust but this is TERRIBLE, no clump and no odor control
Miracle extra strength odor control (currently using) - not dusty, natural, clumps, stinks!, tracks!

I plan on buying World's Best litter tonight.

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated here.
I just started using the Nature's Miracle clumping litter. It's made from corn and I LOVE it. You can flush it too. It fits every criteria you mentioned. Is that what ou mean by Miracle extra strength odor control? I think it has excellent odor control. There's really no way to avoid the #2 smell when it has just occurred.

If you are having tracking problems with all the litter, you might try switching the type of litterbox you use instead of the litter.