Temporary cat lodging during relocation?

sal khan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I'm new.

I currently have 2 cats. 1 male (Zero), about 7 years old, perfect in every way. 1 Female (Velcro) about 9 years old... well she's a separate post.

I currently live in Raleigh, NC. However, in about a month I'll be moving out to California with a quick stop to my hometown in PA. My move to California will be "off the cuff" so to speak. I'm selling everything I own and am staying with a friend for a few months until I get settled. I start work almost the day I land.

Unfortunately, I just won't be able to take them out there just yet. My mother is deathly allergic and is unable to watch them. My father loathes animals in general and just refuses. My father lives on quite a bit of land and having them stay outside (with provisions of course) was a thought, but unfortunately both cats had their front paws de-clawed when I adopted them.

I'm still asking around to responsible people if they can help, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or hints on actions to take? Eventually I will have them join me out there, but it could be almost a year before I get my own place and get settled.

Thanks in advance!

-Sal

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An advance Welcome to our fair State, and may you and your beloved Zero and Velcro find happiness here.

Gosh, almost a year? That's a tough one. For short periods, boarding at their vet would be an option if they can't live with trusted, responsible, cat-loving friends. There's absolutely NO way you can go into an apartment from the outset, that would allow them? How about GoodSearch/Google-ing "cat boarding in (your location)" or even "cat fostering in (your location)" and seeing what you come up with there?

Hopefully some of the experts here at TCS will have even better advice for you and your two -- GOOD LUCK to you all! and may the relocation and the reunion go smoothly and quickly. What good is living apart from your cats, after all???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sal khan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you thank you!

The year is a worst case scenario but I'm certain it'll be at LEAST 4 months. That's why I'm a little concerned. There's no doubt I want them out there with me, I just want to make sure I don't have to worry about anything (like not having my own place) when I get them out there.

I'll bribe someone if I have to!

Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

An advance Welcome to our fair State, and may you and your beloved Zero and Velcro find happiness here.

Gosh, almost a year? That's a tough one. For short periods, boarding at their vet would be an option if they can't live with trusted, responsible, cat-loving friends. There's absolutely NO way you can go into an apartment from the outset, that would allow them? How about GoodSearch/Google-ing "cat boarding in (your location)" or even "cat fostering in (your location)" and seeing what you come up with there?

Hopefully some of the experts here at TCS will have even better advice for you and your two -- GOOD LUCK to you all! and may the relocation and the reunion go smoothly and quickly. What good is living apart from your cats, after all???