Male cat carrying kitten?

ally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jax is a 3 1/2 years old.

I brought Roo home 3 weeks ago. He's 8 weeks old.

Jax is doing something now that I've never seen a male cat do before.

Yesterday, and again this morning, he picked Roo up by his scruff and carried him around the house, just like a mama cat would.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of behavior before?

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I lost my two oldest cats this year. Sammy, 13 (girl) was buddies with Jax. Rocky, 16 (girl) tolerated him.

Jax doesn't act like he's going to hurt Roo, but I do hesitate in letting Roo roam the house when I'm not going to be home to keep an eye on them just in case.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a good idea to be hesitant about letting him unsupervised. Jax probably just taking on a parental role...but then again...they do carry prey the same way! I have seen many a male cat carrying babies around just to be able to cuddle up and love on them, but until he gets a little older, I'd keep an eye on them.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
taterbug;2048016 said:
but then again...they do carry prey the same way! quote]

LOLOL...well jeez..I never thought of THAT!!!
Excellent point...*cringe*

I have two neutered males and they are very "motherly" toward my foster kittens but I've never seen them carry them around...but their mama is close by and I would probably POUNCE them if they tried that. But one in particular grooms them and lets them suckle...it's quite sweet...

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fred would babysit the litters of neighborhood cats. I kept a box on the porch for him, and he had a mama cat friend that had regular litters. She would bring thme and put them in his box, and go about her business, then he would help her carry them home. He brought home several little strays like that. He LOVED kittens, and raised every one that came in the house for as long as I had him.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Fred would babysit the litters of neighborhood cats. I kept a box on the porch for him, and he had a mama cat friend that had regular litters. She would bring thme and put them in his box, and go about her business, then he would help her carry them home. He brought home several little strays like that. He LOVED kittens, and raised every one that came in the house for as long as I had him.
awwww Fred...how darling was this story?!! *melt my heart*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it took so long to get back to this, real life sucks sometimes.

Jax and Roo are getting along really well.

They say laughter is the best medicine.

I say watching your cats play together is.

Thanks y'all.