Kitten Training tips

uagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 month old neutered male kitten, Makani, that my fiance is ready to strangle. Here is a current list of our problems:
  • Won't stay off kitchen table. He thinks it's just a new nap spot.
  • Tries to climb the blinds.
  • Bats at water bowl until water spills on the floor, then licks water from the floor.
  • Knocks anything left on the nightstands off in the middle of the night.
We've tried spraying him with water with no luck, because he likes water. He even plays in the bathroom sink. Loud noises stop him for about 2 seconds, then he's right back to it. We've tried time out by putting him in the bathroom for a few minutes to calm down. I've tried tin foil on the table, he just tries to eat it.

I love the little guy more than anything, but it is becoming an issue between my fiance and I. Any suggestions on training him before I have to choose between fiance or the cat?

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To keep him off the kitchen table take him and put him on the floor every time you see him on it. If he's used to be there it will take quite a few goes before he figures out what's going on but he should catch on eventually even if that only means he'll jump off the table when he's noticed that you've noticed he's there.

To keep him off the table when you're not around close the kitchen door (with the cat on the "not in the kitchen" side of the door.

Climbing the blinds... remove the blinds and have a wooden screen or shutters on the window instead, or not allow the cat in the room where he likes to climb the blinds.

Water bowl.. hmm, have a really steady bowl that doesn't spill. If the cat is actually scooping the water out, not much you can do to be honest, some cats just like to splash around in water. You could get a mat to put underneath the dish so that the spills are atleast somewhat contained.

Don't leave anything on the nightstands that he can knock off or don't let the cat into the bedroom at night.

Really basically there is some basic training you can do (saying NO! and hissing can work to let the cat know you're not happy about what he's doing) but really the main solution is to work out a compromise and try to change the environment so that the bad stuff the cat wants to do becomes impossible for them.

However all of those things could be the sign of a bored cat. How much do you play with him now? My cat will climb the drapes and knock stuff off things etc. unless I play with her for around 2 hours every day.

The Da Bird toy is really great and laser pointers can be fun too.

Healthy, young and active cats need to get an outlet for their energy and if they can't get it in productive ways it'll come out with the cat getting destructive. It's a bit like big athletic dogs needing to be walked. Lots of people think that cats are low maintenance pets and some are but a lot (most I'd guess) aren't. They need a fair bit of interaction and play to stay non destructive and happy.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's exploring his boundaries... he's still young. Loud NO's and time outs worked for Seamus. For the knocking things over, I was simply taking things down that he would knock over for a while and he grew out of that phase. Take him off the kitchen table whenever he goes on there and ignore him. If he tries again, just do it again. If he insists, time out. Treats help when they do the right thing. If you say NO as he's juming and he doesn't jump on the table for example, reward him. I find that talking to my boy helps. With the sweet voice, he knows he's done good, and when I yell, he knows it's a no-no.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by uagirl

Won't stay off kitchen table. He thinks it's just a new nap spot.
I had this problem but with Kitchen counters and some here suggested placing magazines on the counters. It makes for a slippery surface and in time he will learn it's not a safe landing place and stop..it worked for me anyway!

Good Luck!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds a lot like my cat Friday. Friday is frighteningly intelligent. A friend says he's an evil genius plotting to take over the world. Kittenhood with him was rough. I agree with the post that suggested your cat may be bored. The smarter he is the more likely he is to be bored. The really good news is that Friday grew out of most of those behaviors you described. He does still get on the table but he looks to make sure no one's watching first!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CalicoBlue

I had this problem but with Kitchen counters and some here suggested placing magazines on the counters. It makes for a slippery surface and in time he will learn it's not a safe landing place and stop..it worked for me anyway!

Good Luck!
Wow, that's a neat idea with the magazines. I might try it but since Friday loves to lay on them I can see how it might backfire on me!

laserray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told by the breeder to cover the table with salad oil.
They don't like it on their paws.