14 week kitten with small appetite

loudora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there,

There isn't really a problem here as little Dora does eat her dried science plan diet but whenever I offer her wet food such as kitten meat in jelly or gravy, all she does is eat the jelly/gravy but leaves the meat. She is going to be quite a small cat as her parents were small but I don't think that she really eats enough. I give her kitten milk aswell and as I said, she does like the science plan stuff, but is there any type of wet food that she may eat completely. She has been wormed with panacur, vet checked, vaccinated and flead and otherwise is a very healthy, active kitten. Just quite slim. I've never had cat before so all suggestions will be welcomed. Also, is there is any human food I could try her with? She won't eat scrambled egg either.

Many thanks,

Lou

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there

Is that Aylesbury in the UK? I wouldn't worry too much as I have come across a couple of cats who will only eat the jelly. Is it an adult wet food? If so, the chunks may be too big for her. I find the Schesir kitten pouches fantastic although they are a bit pricey. Check out zooplus.co.uk for their selection of wet; the other brands I'd recommend are Almo Nature, Bozita and Cosma.

As long as she is getting enough food don't worry if she isn't too fussed on wet; some cats aren't although I rather feeding wet personally. As regards human food; I'd keep it more as a treat as cat food has necessary nutrients that human food doesn't A bit of grilled or boiled chicken is fine. I've never fed my cats eggs to be honest.

I hope that helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loudora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks very much for your advice. I'll check out those brands and try her with some different wet foods. It's not like I can feel her ribs or anything, and she is very playful so I guess I'm just not used to having slim pets. (We have a big cuddly lop rabbit too). The main thing is that she is eating something, so I will continue with the dry science plan until she becomes less fussy and decides she likes something else!

Yep, we're in Aylesbury, UK. Do you know it?

Thank you again for the info...xx

loudora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
p.s. I've only been offering kitten wet food.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by loudora

Yep, we're in Aylesbury, UK. Do you know it?
I've heard of Aylesbury duck; that's about it! I've been in a few places in the UK though. Your kitty will settle into a normal routine. Some cats are naturally skinny like my Rupert (the fluff makes her look bigger) but others are big like Bagheera!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any specific health reason she is on Science Diet? I don't know about the UK, but here in North America the Science Diet is not a very good quality food. I believe some of our UK members speak highly of James Wellbeloved (?). We have a number of UK members, so hopefully one of them will be along shortly to offer some of their suggestions.

jennywhite686

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 15 month old cat who we got when he was 8 weeks old and he's NEVER eaten a full portion of wet food. He picks at it, he picks at dry food, he picks at human food if I give it to him when I'm cooking.
Ive tried probably 20+ brands of food to try and find something he actually LIKES (I feel like he's missing out because he never seems to enjoy his meals). Now he's 15 months old Ive given up and just accepted that that is the way he is.
He's fully checked by a vet and they dont mind his weight. He's 'skinny' but my vet says unless I actually feel bones under the skin, I shouldnt worry about it. My other cat will eat anything that sits still long enough. If you have a cat that acts and looks happy, dont do what I did and worry all the way through kittenhood rather than enjoy it

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Is there any specific health reason she is on Science Diet? I don't know about the UK, but here in North America the Science Diet is not a very good quality food. I believe some of our UK members speak highly of James Wellbeloved (?). We have a number of UK members, so hopefully one of them will be along shortly to offer some of their suggestions.
Yes Well Beloved or Royal Canin kitten are good choices.

loudora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everybody for all of the information. Guess I shouldn't worry. I put her on the science plan dry food as it was what was recommended at our veterinary practice. There are loads of dry foods like go-cat, etc, but they all look a bit crappy and the science plan is meant to be full of good stuff. I will have a look for those other brands though if they're better. thanks for that info. Dora is eating small amounts of wet food, and i have given her the odd bit of chicken. She seems to be growing okay, and isn't too boney, so fingers crossed she will eventually "inhale" some of the wet stuff! I won't worry too much, maybe cats are fussier than dogs and rabbits. I usually have the opposite problem; having to put pets on low-fat diets. At least she has been vet-checked and its all good and well. She's a very cool kitty.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by loudora

Thank you everybody for all of the information. Guess I shouldn't worry. I put her on the science plan dry food as it was what was recommended at our veterinary practice. There are loads of dry foods like go-cat, etc, but they all look a bit crappy and the science plan is meant to be full of good stuff. I will have a look for those other brands though if they're better. thanks for that info. Dora is eating small amounts of wet food, and i have given her the odd bit of chicken. She seems to be growing okay, and isn't too boney, so fingers crossed she will eventually "inhale" some of the wet stuff! I won't worry too much, maybe cats are fussier than dogs and rabbits. I usually have the opposite problem; having to put pets on low-fat diets. At least she has been vet-checked and its all good and well. She's a very cool kitty.
Science Plan is recommended by your vet because the company targets vets in its marketing. I highly recommend switching to a better quality food. I would try Royal Canin Kitten. Your cat may just like the wet foods that have more gravy. My older cat is that way - she loves wet food that has gravy and chunks but will hardly touch the pate type wet foods. She always eats it the same way too - she'll lick all the gravy first and 30 minutes later will come back for the rest.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

Science Plan is recommended by your vet because the company targets vets in its marketing. I highly recommend switching to a better quality food. I would try Royal Canin Kitten. Your cat may just like the wet foods that have more gravy. My older cat is that way - she loves wet food that has gravy and chunks but will hardly touch the pate type wet foods. She always eats it the same way too - she'll lick all the gravy first and 30 minutes later will come back for the rest.
I agree - there are much better foods out there.

When it comes to wet food you may indeed have to try several kinds before you get one they like. I tried about 6-8 different brands of better quality food before I found one our two would eat. Don't give up.