Did anyone hear the sonic boom today?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me and hubby were sitting down watching tv suddenly we hear a boom. This was some time around noon 1pm. The boom sounded like someone hit something outside. I run outside and see nothing. And thought nothing of it. Then my son came home and said he heard a boom at school today as well right around the same general time. He said the space shuttle came back into our atmosphere today. So I look it up and sure enough that is what it was. Because the time we heard it was around the same time the article says.

So did anyone else hear it and did you know right away what it was?

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/0711...e-flyover.html
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...c=Worldupdates

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
haha No I'm too far north for that.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that would have been too cool! When I lived in Guam they used to have stealth fighter jet practices when the Kitty Hawk was in dock, and they were loud...I can only imagine how loud the space shuttle would be.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't hear anything today... but one morning a few years back, I was awakened by a sound that I immediately interpreted as the crash of a moving truck's metal loading ramp being dropped onto the parking lot of my apartment complex -- a boom and then a sort of diminishing rattle.

A few hours later, I realized it was the Challenger I'd heard, disintegrating as it reentered with those damaged tiles.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember hearing it, because it sounded like thunder, and we haven't had rain in forever (nor is it supposed to rain until next week). I was thinking I was in Walmart, but apparently I was at home getting ready to go to Walmart- I just remember the noise and what I thought, not the when, lol. I'm getting old!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little blue boy was yowling that loud???

Sorry, couldn't resist! I've not heard any since living in London, don't think air traffic is allowed to move that fast over cities! But when I was little I lived next to an RAF airfield and a lot of military test flights went on, so I sort of got used to it.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't hear it either, but the news said it passed over head around 11:45am and landed in Florida at 12:02pm. That's 1,100 miles in 17 minutes (over 3800mph)!!

Mez

PS - I just did some Googling and here's a good article which describes the speed of the space shuttle at various points of re-entry for anyone who's interested.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I heard it, and felt it. We live very near the space center. I didn't remember it was coming home and it kinda scared me at first. I was in the middle of baking banana bread and the timer just started going off, then BOOM, I thought my oven blew up. Glad they made it home safe.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that's cool! I had never heard of the sonic boom from the space shuttle before.

Originally Posted by Epona

Sorry, couldn't resist! I've not heard any since living in London, don't think air traffic is allowed to move that fast over cities! But when I was little I lived next to an RAF airfield and a lot of military test flights went on, so I sort of got used to it.
I remember the noise of planes constantly flying overheard in London. When I lived there, they still had the Concord - that was loud!
And then when I moved to Scotland I had to get used to the sonic booms from the fighter jets as they'd race across the Highlands and out over the North Sea. Scared the crap outta me the first time I heard them!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in Canada so I'm a little far away
I would have loved to have heard it though!! Maybe someday

ethereal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Florida, when did the sound come? I didnt hear anything.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

But when I was little I lived next to an RAF airfield and a lot of military test flights went on, so I sort of got used to it.
I live 20 miles from an army base so I frequently hear helicopters flying overhead as well as their artillery practice. We hear sonic boom maybe 1-2 times a year when they're doing something with the air force.

Mez

ethereal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

It would've been real close to 1 pm your time.
Daw I guess I missed it, I didnt hear anything and I have the windows open lol.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow that's cool!!! I can't wait to go to the Space Centre to do some sort of tour!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard the shuttle once here in California. I was in Tehachapi getting some fresh apples when it went over on the way to Edwards Airforce Base. It was sooooo loud especially in the thin mountain air. I didn't know what it was at first.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to live in FL, close enough to the Kennedy to hear the space shuttle go off and land. My favorite take offs are in the evening when the setting sunlight's colors blend into the cloud tail from the rockets.