HELP!!! Need advice desperately...

ktanas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I dont want to sound like a bad kitty parent, but here goes:

Ive had my Yoda since I was 18 1/2- im now 21. A little over a year ago, Yoda somehow got outside and contracted fleas. Yoda is a black cat, so a girlfriend and I foolishly decided to buzz cut her ( in hopes of getting rid of most of the fleas), mostly sides and stomach. we never thought it would affect the cat, and thought it was a cute little mohawk and it would grow back. Well, it never did, in fact its worse. She now has fleas again, possibly due to a recent move (previous owners?)... in any case, shes scratching something fierce so now she has huge bumpy sores and scabs on her head. She looks and probably feels like a scroungy sickly alley cat. I cant afford a serious vet visit though. Is there something i can apply or feed her to A- make the hair grow back, and B- make the sores go away? Also, are there any programs out there that help with low income animal "parents"? I love her to absolute pieces- she is basically my only family and my child-- I need to do something...Help, please!!!!!

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet. The scabs are probably from scratching so much and flea bites. The vet will probably just clean her up and *possibly* give you an antibiotic. It might not be that much, depending on the antibiotic. Her hair will grow back on its own, but it takes some time. The vet may also recommend a monthly flea treatment, which can run as much as $30 a month. The fleas might be in your home too, so I would get the vacuum out and go to town!

Either way she is in need of medical treatment and is relying on you to help her. You can always pay a little and ask the vet if you can make a few payments if absolutely cannot pay all at once. Some are more willing than others to be sympathetic.

Good luck! Sending you good vibes. Do keep us posted.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you shaved her a year ago and the fur has not grown back yet? That's not normal if that is the case.

It sounds very much like you have a bad flea infestation in your home and your cat will continue to have sores and be bitten until you get rid of the fleas in the environment. She may well have a bad allergy to flea bites and she really, really needs to see a vet. You may have to bomb your place to get rid of the fleas, eggs and larva.

Imagine if your body was covered in sores and you were itchy - would you go to a doctor? Money is often tight for all of us, but we need to do what we committed to when we took on these animals that can only trust us and rely on us to look out for them.

missmun52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am new to all of this but I would say take your cat to a vet. I am a SAHM and full time student at night and so there is only one income right now. I called the shelter that i adopted my kitten at and asked them if they knew of any low cost vets, I also serched the internet. I was able to find one that i thought was very good (clean and great vets) at the North shore Animal league of america. You can try calling a local animal shelter in your area and asking them.

From reading on here I have found that people generally agree when saying over the counter meds either dont work or are not good for the cat and its best for you to get them from a vet.

I know sometimes we just dont have the money but there are ways. Try not eating out with friends, instead cook a meal and watch an old movie at home instead of going to the movies ect.

hope it all works out!

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ktanas

Ok so I dont want to sound like a bad kitty parent, but here goes:

Ive had my Yoda since I was 18 1/2- im now 21. A little over a year ago, Yoda somehow got outside and contracted fleas. Yoda is a black cat, so a girlfriend and I foolishly decided to buzz cut her ( in hopes of getting rid of most of the fleas), mostly sides and stomach. we never thought it would affect the cat, and thought it was a cute little mohawk and it would grow back. Well, it never did, in fact its worse. She now has fleas again, possibly due to a recent move (previous owners?)... in any case, shes scratching something fierce so now she has huge bumpy sores and scabs on her head. She looks and probably feels like a scroungy sickly alley cat. I cant afford a serious vet visit though. Is there something i can apply or feed her to A- make the hair grow back, and B- make the sores go away? Also, are there any programs out there that help with low income animal "parents"? I love her to absolute pieces- she is basically my only family and my child-- I need to do something...Help, please!!!!!
Ok first of all, my parents have my black persian. They keep her shaved to keep her comfortable, I live in south Florida. They have to shave her regularly, every other month at least, sometimes alot more often. If it's been a year since you shaved her and her hair isn't growing back, you have a bigger problem than fleas when it comes to her health. You need to find the money to take her to the vet. If you can't find the money, you need to find someone that can afford to take care of her. She could be diabetic, she could have thyroid issues, there's a number of things that come to mind with her fur not growing and her skin not healing. Worms and other parasites come to mind with a severe flea infestation. She looks sickly because she is sickly. A healthy cat's fur grows and their skin heals.

You can try the humane society for "reduced cost" care....

You need to find the money to hire an exterminator and someone to hold on to your cat for a few days while you get the house fumigated.

I hate to come across kind of sharp but this critter is a living, breathing critter. If my persian's hair wasn't growing, she would have been to the vet like, yesterday.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you shaved her a year ago and the fur has not grown back yet? That's not normal if that is the case.
We all know what it's like to be in a money pinch, but I'm afraid it sounds like she needs to go to the vet. You can talk with your vet and tell them you only have so much money to spend. Most small vets will work with you and give you a break. They also allow payment plans.