I'm an idiot

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night when DH and I got home from his work I pulled in the driveway and shut off the car. Well he told me to turn it back on so he could add coolant because my water pump's been leaking. (got that fixed today) Anyway, I started my car back up and got out and LOCKED the doors figuring DH would forget. So my car was running with the doors locked and no spare key!!!! He managed to shut off the car by crawling underneath and unplugging the coil or something. Then we had to call the locksmith and pay 60 bucks for them to unlock it.
I would have a spare but my key has one of those chips in it and it's expensive to make a spare. To my defense though I was tired and hungry when I did that. When I get hungry sometimes it takes over and I can't focus on anything else.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you use power locks on the driver side to lock it? I'm surprised... if my keys are in the ignition (car running or not) my car will NOT let me lock the doors with the button. Good thing too. My apartment is also fool proof in that in order to lock the door I must have my keys with me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't the dealership include an extra set of keys and remote? They usually do that. Also I think you can use a normal copy key to get in the door and trunk, you just have to have the other key in the ignition soon or get to the remote to prevent the alarm from going off.
Originally Posted by twstychik

I'm surprised... if my keys are in the ignition (car running or not) my car will NOT let me lock the doors with the button.
So if you're in the car while it's on you cannot lock it at all? Rather dangerous, what if someone ran up and forced their way into a your vehicle at a stop light?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Didn't the dealership include an extra set of keys and remote? They usually do that.
Nope, never got a spare. My mom asked me the same thing today.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

So if you're in the car while it's on you cannot lock it at all? Rather dangerous, what if someone ran up and forced their way into a your vehicle at a stop light?
If the door is shut then I can lock them. They auto lock when I put the car in drive anyway... but yes, if I'm in the car and the door is closed I can lock it. It's when the keys are in the ignition and the door is open that I can't lock them.