Landlord wants my cats declawed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

The landlord called me yesterday and learned (no idea how) that cats needed to be declawed or that I'd be expelled. Although I do not think it is in the contract, the owner of the half a dozen blocks around here know their way. I'm a medical student and do not have time to enter any legal battles.
Nor do I have time to go apartment hunting!

So, I researched and researched, and found a capable and renowned veterinarian 5 hours from where I live who does Laser declawing. It's cost 250$ or 300$ for both legs per cat (I have 3... yes, it's expansive) but there is no bleeding, and less pain since it's not an invasive surgery. Lasers cauterize the vessels and nerves so there is no edema or swelling.

Has anyone heard of this surgery? My cats will always stay indoor, so it would not be the end of the World for them, I'd just feel so bad though

Let me know what you heard, it looks promising!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably won't get much help her about this (I'm sorry to say) because TCS is an anti-declaw site. I personally believe that if there is NOTHING in your lease about cats being declawed then your land lord has NO ground to stand on. On the other hand I comend you for looking for the safest method for your cats. My only suggestion is that you declaw ONLY the front paws! Your landlord is probably under the impression that your cats will ruin carpet and such my scratching on them. Cats do this to sharpen their claws and only do it with their front paws.

Is there anyway you can try to educate your landlord? Let him know what declawing really involves, all of the possible negative side effects and that they are only doing what come natural and if provided with enough appropriate scratghing areas most cats won't damage carpet and furniture.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Try PM'ing Zissou'sMom. I believe she was able to convince her landlord that declawing was inhumane. She may be able to give you a few tips.

Good Luck.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may also want to try and tell the landlord about the claw caps - soft paws. Much cheaper and better (IMO) than declawing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am aware of TCS' stance on declawing and I share it. Although I would in court probably, I do not have the time to hire a 15k lawyer or fight in court. Ain't it ridiculous though?

I came her to ask so more about LASER DECLAWING. As I've said it amputates just the same but there is no bleeding, no swelling and very little pain.

Can a cat with its rear claws still defend itself (so I'd feel less guilty?)

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My niece's cat had been declawed but still knew how to make the neighborhood dogs regret coming into his backyard.

He would also climb trees. Niece would laugh and wonder about the day he'd be going up the tree and think "dang! I've been declawed!"
(Previous owner declawed this cat.)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
You will find that the bulk of members here think declawing is declawing, no matter how it is done. Laser declawing is mentioned here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/33/De...ernatives.html

Is Laser Surgery Better Than A Traditional Declaw?
There are definite advantages to laser surgery. Use of a laser causes less bleeding and swelling, reducing pain and complications immediately following the surgery. The rate of long term complications is the same. It is essentially the same procedure, just with different equipment.
Your cats would be much less likely to be able to defend themselves.

Alternatives can be found here -

http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/33/De...ernatives.html

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerLord

I am aware of TCS' stance on declawing and I share it. Although I would in court probably, I do not have the time to hire a 15k lawyer or fight in court. Ain't it ridiculous though?

I came her to ask so more about LASER DECLAWING. As I've said it amputates just the same but there is no bleeding, no swelling and very little pain.

Can a cat with its rear claws still defend itself (so I'd feel less guilty?)
Did you read any of the rest of my post or the others? We're trying to help you find a way around declawing your cats with out hiring an attorney. Like I said, I don't think your landlord has a leg to stand on is declawing is NOT in your lease. It takes a few minutes and perhaps some change to print out information on declawing to show to your landlord.

I don't know anything about laser declawing. I do know that a cat with back claws can defend itself to an extent but presented with an attack from another animal a declawed cat is at a big disadvantage. I've seen my own declawed cat do some major damage to an old roommate but being human, my roommate was restraining himself when trying to catch her and an animal attacking will not exercise the same restraint.

I'm also wondering if you'll still be bringing a bengal into your home only to have it declawed. Do the cat a favor and let someone (who won't have to declaw) else adopt it.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Laser declawing is pretty standard now AFAIK, at least in the US. It is still, obviously, amputation. Anyhow, I'm sorry that it's not what you want to hear, but "laser declawing" sounds fancier than "scalpel declawing," and that's about it. It is essentially the same procedure. It will maim your cats, potentially cause short or long term problems for them, and (less importantly) cost you a fortune. I don't think there is any excuse for considering it. I think you should beg your landlord to let you use Soft Claws, although admittedly, I doubt that he'll be persuaded. I don't envy the position you're in, but I don't think declawing should be considered as an option. If I was faced with this, I would offer my cat to family and friends. If that wasn't an option, then I would put her up for adoption. Declawing should be illegal, IMO. FWIW, this site has pretty good info about declawing.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should move or give the cats to someone who will not amputate their fingers, and care about them. Besides that how is the landord going to know? Tell him you had it done, and look for another place in the meantime.

Don't do it!!!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please note rule #3 in our rules

3. This website considers declawing a drastic way to curb cat behavior. A painful ordeal for your kitty we would suggest that declawing never be considered for any behavioral issue. Health issues are entirely different. It is up to you as a responsible pet owner to explore all the different options available instead of declawing. Your cat is dependant on you to make wise choices for her, and not put her into any more stress or discomfort. Please be a responsible pet owner and research this subject thoroughly. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing here in our forums as well as on our website itself. Declaw - More than Just a Manicure. Hopefully those of you with claw-related problems will find solutions by spending time in our Behavior Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.