Why on earth is this scratcher $159.00??

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The minute cats start using it there will be little paper flakes everywhere... not my idea of art exactly.

It's ridiculous, over sized, and not easily replaceable as the cardboard can wear down fast if your cats really love it. The cardboard scratchers also have a tendency to collect litter or whatever else is on your cats paws in it. That would be nearly impossible to tip over and shake out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That wouldn't last several years, or at least it wouldn't with my two cats. Maybe a year tops before it start looking nasty or even smelling (dirty litter feet, remember).
I can however get a month or so out of the rectangular ones by flipping them over in the box.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's fancy, theresore it's more expensive... We have the Cosmic Cardboard Scratcher which is $10 or something, have it well over a year and it's still going strong!!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a cardboard scratcher for almost a year now and it's getting a little ragged (Bella loves it, though)...that's true about all the little bits 'o cardboard that end up on the floor.

That's cool looking, and my kits would love it, but I can think of a lot of better ways to spend $159...

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the rich and famous.
I don't understand it either since kitties like to turn it into cardboard scraps.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me walk you through what would happen to that thing at my house.

After I spend the outrageous sum of money to own that thing I'd bring it home. Now, the boys would be curious because anything in a big box is going to be fun. After opening it and doing the "Ta Da! It's an expensive new toy." They'd just look at me. 8-Bit would be hopping in and out of the box it came in and Scratch would be giving it a nervous look. Dr Claw would sniff it and then go take a nap. It would sit in the living room for months begging questions like, "Oh, that's weird, why did you buy that," and "You spent how much on your cats?"

After I've put cat nip all over it, bated it with toys, and given it every possible chance I'd think about donating it to a local shelter. The moment I'd make the call to take it away a furry fight would break out and 8-Bit would be sitting on top of it saying to me, "Meowmy! This is SO cool!"

That's why I'd never buy one.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got those flat cardboard scratchers at Target and my kitty cats tore them up, shredded them all over the house. I let them play with them until they were unrecognizable. I will never get a cardboard scratcher again.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout would love that thing..but I would NEVER pay that much for it!
Oh, and that fact that I don't have room for another giant kitty prop

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ginger seems to think that cardboard scratchers are specially made cat chairs.

She'll scratch at the corners a teensy bit, but otherwise, she sits down or lays down on them.

If I were rich, I'd buy her one, but only because it looks like a comfy place to take a nap.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why that's so expensive either. I saw something similar at Target last week that was $20. It was by Worldwise/Smarty Kat, but it's not on the website yet.
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Let me walk you through what would happen to that thing at my house.

After I spend the outrageous sum of money to own that thing I'd bring it home. Now, the boys would be curious because anything in a big box is going to be fun. After opening it and doing the "Ta Da! It's an expensive new toy." They'd just look at me. 8-Bit would be hopping in and out of the box it came in and Scratch would be giving it a nervous look. Dr Claw would sniff it and then go take a nap. It would sit in the living room for months begging questions like, "Oh, that's weird, why did you buy that," and "You spent how much on your cats?"

After I've put cat nip all over it, bated it with toys, and given it every possible chance I'd think about donating it to a local shelter. The moment I'd make the call to take it away a furry fight would break out and 8-Bit would be sitting on top of it saying to me, "Meowmy! This is SO cool!"

That's why I'd never buy one.

That's EXACTLY what happened when I bought our puzzle box.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It says on the other type of those that it is "Extra durable corrugated cardboard construction with hardboard end-panels." Maybe they think the hardboard end-panels are really really fancy!
That makes cardboard so much more valuable.
Kitters would never get one I'll tell you that much!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is one cool cat scratcher but we would rather make our cats
something out of old cardboard boxes rather then pay almost $ 160...