(ladies) BC question

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone switched to Yaz birth control? I'm curious to find out if it helped your moods, especially right before the cycle.

I had to stop from taking the generic version as I was very sensitive to the hormone levels and was depressed. I'm now taking Ortho Tri-cyclen (regular) and I've noticed that when I get to the last Sunday before the reminder pills, my mood just really shoots down. I usually have one good cry (that I never know why I'm crying), I get really irritated and well...just plain moody. OK, well more than usual

I saw the commercial for Yaz and am wondering if anyone tried switching to that.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried Yaz for a bit and I was fine but the only reason I switched to Ortho Tri-cyclen was because I switched bases and doctors and since the pregnancy, I wanted a stronger pill. Honestly, none of those pills affect my mood though, so I guess I'm not much help.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know anything about the Yaz, but if you add a vitamin B complex to your diet, everyday the week before your period, you will no longer have that depression.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea! I was taking B complex pills a year ago, but I stopped for some odd reason.

Yea, I'm super sensitive to hormone levels. I was on another BC, but I was soooooo depressed during that time that I was seeking serious professional help. Once I went off that pill everything went away within a month.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took Yasmin for a while. Dr gave me a prescription for Yaz.

Never got to take it though. I can no longer take regular BCP's. They raise my blood pressure. Guess it's because of my age (40) or something like that.

Never had a problem with moods and BCP. I actually liked Yasmin, and was sad that I could no longer take it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of that kind.

I am on Marvelon, and have been for years. I don't have any adverse PMS symptoms including mood swings. Have you tried it?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I take Yasmine. My only mood problem was when I switched from Ortho-tri-cycline to the Yasmine. I've had lighter periods with Yasmine, but I don't think my moods are much different than with any other pill. At least I've never noticed.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on Seasonal and I love it, but I thought about switching to Yaz soon. Although when I do switch brands, I'm gonna hate going back to having a period every month... I'm getting spoiled with this 4 a year thing.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I'm on Seasonal and I love it, but I thought about switching to Yaz soon. Although when I do switch brands, I'm gonna hate going back to having a period every month... I'm getting spoiled with this 4 a year thing.
I've thought of Seasonal. I really don't want to go through the whole thing every month... 4 sounds like a blessing! Maybe I'll ask my doctor on my next appointment. Why are you switching?

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm on Yaz, and let me tell you; I've never had so -few- moodswings. I've been on Yaz for almost a year.

I was on Yasmin (on accident) for three months before I HAD to stop, because I was always depressed and moody, then I got back onto Yaz, and now, the only moodswings I get are from missing a pill every now and then. The only problem is that I get kinda bad cramps, but then...I've always gotten bad cramps anyway.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been on Yaz for almost a year now, and think it's great. I'd love to try Seasonal for the lesser amount of periods, but then I'd be worrying every month that I wasn't due for a period in between that I may be pregnant! I have 2-3 day periods on Yaz, and they are usually light, so I can deal with that

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, light periods are really nice. And, Yaz helps me with my teenage acne. Lol. But it made me gain a bit of weight, but I'm sure I could lose it if I actually ate right and exercised regularly.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh you lucky women have the option to have just 4 periods a year...
BC makes me gain weight and I can't take it anymore anyway.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take it and i HATE it- please be careful before you decide to take this one! It seems like for the most part- everyone else loves it- but it is just not the right pill for me. My moods were just fine before i started taking it (i don't have pmdd)- but i was having soo many period issues that my doctor switched me off Yasmin and onto Yaz- since i've been on Yaz- i've been more moody and it really hasn't helped my cramping or my periods much at all. I'm going to see about getting my pill switched when i go in for my next appointment. Also i don't have periods at all during the days i'm supposed to - i only start mine about 2 days into my new pill pack and they're really light sometimes

Keep in mind though- i have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) so what may not work for me might be good for you- just talk to your doctor! The Yaz does nothing for my cramping- i have to take a prescription every month (Ponstel) just to get any kind of relief from it. I'm planning to have a full hysto. after we try and have the kids we would like- it's just a nightmare. As far as bc goes though, I miss Yasmine- for me it worked a lot better than Yaz. My doctor put me on Yaz because it was supposed to be the "new and improved" version -i've been on it for almost a year now though and i don't think it's better at all

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After all the current birth control controversy I am even more keen to take any hormone altering drug for as little time as possible. I want to get the babies out of the way and get my tubes tied and not have to take any of those drugs!

I use Depo Provera injections, which I found worked really well for me and were much easier than daily pills.

ethereal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take Microgestin, its really good, and cheap. Without insurance it costs 25$ (WITH insurance it costs 10$), ive had no side effects on it at all....perhaps a clearer face (but not all the time). It feels like im not even on any BC. Id definatley reccommend it.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've used Yasmin, microlite and Dianette all of which made me really moody and depressed at times. Now I'm on Marviol which I find Marvi-llous!
(Worst pun ever I know)

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions and kudos towards Yaz!

Nikki - so sorry to hear that your doctor switched you off the pill you like. I'm of the belief that if something IS WORKING don't mess with a good thing. My last eye doctor was like that: always selling me on the latest and greatest contacts, then a year later down play those contacts and present me with the latest and greatest. :rollseyes: I finally said "no!"

Well, I'm just waiting for my health insurance info to come. It better come in the next 7 days and I'm on my last Rx, last set of pills (the reminders) and No More Rxs!!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

After all the current birth control controversy I am even more keen to take any hormone altering drug for as little time as possible. I want to get the babies out of the way and get my tubes tied and not have to take any of those drugs!

I use Depo Provera injections, which I found worked really well for me and were much easier than daily pills.
I feel the same way... As soon as we have our family I'll be tying things up! Of course, that hasn't stopped me from using hormonal BC for over 10 years!

I have a related question for all of you. I'm pretty sensative to the hormone levels too (major mood swings) and one of the worse side effects I've had is a practically dead libido. I can't take generics (they always seem to be worse for me) and now that I have to pay full price for my BC again I'm wanting to try something new. So, how does your BC impact your "desires" if at all? I'd really like to find the "perfect pill" but I don't think it exists for me. Maybe the patch?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ortho Tri-cyclen heightens my libido about a week before, during, and a few days after my period. However any other time, and I have a hard time as well.