Anyone that can give advice on using Craigslist

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am having the most difficult time finding homes for my three remaining kittens.

We can financially afford to keep one without problems, but the others need to find homes.

I was wondering for those that recommended using Craigslist, how does one go about doing that? Where do you search for kittens on there??? I tried looking and came up with no results, but I'm sure I'm just not looking in the right place.

I'm scared that they're going to grow up being afraid of people because we don't have the time to give them all the attention they need and at 4 months old, they are just used to each other at this point.

I'm getting desperate here so if anyone has any advice beyond Craigslist as well, please let me know.

I've called every rescue in the area and all are full and I've been on waiting lists since they were 12 weeks old.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would strongly recommend NOT using Craigslist as I'm afraid a lot of unscrupulous people use their ads. Here are some good places: http://www.petfinder.com http://www.petharbor.com http://www.bestfriends.org http://www.catster.com

And please, PLEASE charge an adoption fee and screen carefully for adoptees. Do not let them go for free as unscrupulous people acquire animals for very bad reasons like this. I would charge at least $50, and then you can negotiate; it's not to make money, it's to make sure only someone who will LOVE them will adopt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is my first response:

would you let us adopt just the red one?We have a good loving home
Dear lord, obviously this is going to be hard.

I asked for more information about her living circumstances, kids, other pets, etc....... Hopefully I'll get more responses and I will definitely check out those other resources.

The thing about an adoption fee is I really really really need to find homes for these kittens and I'm afraid a fee would scare people off.

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With any site you will get responses that aren't what you were hoping for, sending lots of your way!

It's great that you got a reply so quickly, don't be afraid to ask questions, and you will find great homes!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I asked for more information and it turns out they are two middle aged women with one gorgeous cat (which they sent me pictures of and told me about) who own a condo in a city very close to here.

I wrote back with all the important details about Pumpkin, medical and otherwise, and it looks like we're going to set something up.

Yay...so maybe that's a success!!!! She was very nice and seemed thrilled to dish on her other cat.

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

The thing about an adoption fee is I really really really need to find homes for these kittens and I'm afraid a fee would scare people off.
That's the purpose of the fee - to be unappealing to people that are going to use them (the kittens) to train pittbulls for fighting, for example...

If 50$ scares them, what about when it's time for their shots? Spay/neuter? Heaven forbid the cat gets sick, what then? A 50$ adoption fee is more than fair. It might be tough in the short term but at least you'll know that you took steps to ensure that they won't end up in a shelter or worse.

conbrio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my two cats through craigslist. The previous owner did not have an adoption fee but she did insist on seeing my house before she left the cats. She wanted a good home for them, and I am and will provide one for them. Just like others have said take care and screen well.

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

I asked for more information and it turns out they are two middle aged women with one gorgeous cat (which they sent me pictures of and told me about) who own a condo in a city very close to here.

I wrote back with all the important details about Pumpkin, medical and otherwise, and it looks like we're going to set something up.

Yay...so maybe that's a success!!!! She was very nice and seemed thrilled to dish on her other cat.

Yay!! That's sounds great!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please please either ask an adoption fee and ask that an appointment for spaying be set up before taking them home or else SPAY them first. (1) Not asking an adoption fee (2) not spaying them first (they are PLENTY old enough) and (3) wanting them out of the house asap is just asking for trouble, that is the wrong way to go about finding homes for these babies. You are going to get all sorts of bad people emailing you. You need to get them spayed, charge a fee to make it up and screen for the right home, not the first one that comes along. This is the only way for the kittens to find good homes and not be able reproduce at the hand of some crazy kitty-mill or hoarder.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are people out there that purposely look for "free to a good home" ads to take animals to be used in labs and other unscrupulous deals. They in turn sell them to others. These folks are called "bunchers".

As much as you want to find them homes quickly, you must insist on at least a $25 adoption fee. If you are totally comfortable about the adopters, then waive the fee. A buncher won't answer to an ad with a price on it.

For the person that already responded to you, set up an in house visit to make sure they are what they claim to be. Then change your ad to charge an adoption fee.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree what with others have said about charging an adoption fee for the kittens. It's for their protection and any responsible potential adopter will be fine with paying a fee. I've worked with several local rescues who have found Craiglist to be a valuable tool in finding wonderful homes for pets, but careful screening (adoption fee, adoption application, home visit) is essential. The kittens are definitely old enough to be spayed at this point too. If there are any low cost spay/neuter options in your area, I'd strongly encourage you to have the kittens fixed before they're adopted out. It's the responsible thing to do and, honestly, will make the kittens more appealing to potential adopters. You can then recoup the cost of the spay by charging an adoption fee. Hope this helps and that the kitties find wonderful homes!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats/kittens, etc. should be listed under the Pets section. Read their rules at the beginning. You have to register first (free) before you can list.

I've listed a few things on craigslist - but in the Wanted section or Household section.

I do like to look thru the Free stuff and the Pets sections mainly.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another very important reason to ask for a fee is sadly and HORRIBLY there are people out there that scour Craig's list and Want Ads looking for FREE kittens and puppies to use as bait for training fight dogs. $25.00 isn't too much to ask for and will weed out a lot of people that aren't going to provide loving forever homes.

Good luck!~

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Please please either ask an adoption fee and ask that an appointment for spaying be set up before taking them home or else SPAY them first. (1) Not asking an adoption fee (2) not spaying them first (they are PLENTY old enough) and (3) wanting them out of the house asap is just asking for trouble, that is the wrong way to go about finding homes for these babies. You are going to get all sorts of bad people emailing you. You need to get them spayed, charge a fee to make it up and screen for the right home, not the first one that comes along. This is the only way for the kittens to find good homes and not be able reproduce at the hand of some crazy kitty-mill or hoarder.
They are not plenty old enough to be spayed around here.

When we were trying to have my Sophie fixed, we called everywhere and no one would do it before 6 months old, so we had to wait until then when I wanted her fixed at four months.

And I am screening very carefully, I find it insulting that anyone would think that I'd just throw them to the first person who comes along. I have had these babies since I helped deliver them.

I aksed for advice, not to be told what to do.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't get mad. People aren't telling you what to do, they are giving honest advice, and good advice at that. Craig's list can work, but lots of people use it to unload their pets ASAP to any home, including unfit ones and people who will use kittens for not nice things, so you might not be getting the same clientel, as say, petfinder.

If you are going to use craigslist anyways, then just do it. It seems like you care and you obviously LOVE your cats very much, so you will obviously try to do what is best by them, I think everyone can tell that, but I think people are just trying to tell you you have to be careful, I'm sure some adoptions go wrong even from really reputable sites like petfinder.

I personally agree with asking an adoption fee, it might not go AS quickly, but you'll get a lot more sincere individuals possibly more quickly then just responses. They are the ones your are looking for anyways.

Good luck with your babies, I"m sure they will find good homes.

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have ever read any of DaniMaries posts about her babies, you would know she is not going to just unload them on anyone.
She IS screening the potential adopters, and you CAN find good homes for kittens without charging an adoption fee.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only advice is be careful (not just with people wanting kittens for bad reasons)

I've gotten some people replying to my aquarium for sale who are clearly trying to just get the money. Some guy was like "I'll buy, they will pick it up on Tuesday" I was like "who will pick it up?" "He's like the moving truck, they'll pay you"

To say the least I reported it and the man was trying to screw me outta my $100.

This hasnt' scared me away from using craigslist--just makes me alittle wiser!

Leslie

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have had several very good experiences with craigslist, and honestly, in all my research i have not found one instance where somebody really evil got a hold of cat to use in dogfighting/medical research and such. while i am definitely not saying this doesn't go on, i think it can make people more freaked out than they need to be.

the only thing i have ever personally seen is something like what Jack experienced, the 'shipper' scam, which is usually so obviously a scam that you'd have to be willfully ignorant to fall for it (have you ever gotten the "I AM INTERESTED IN YOUR ANIMAL PLEASE TELL ME FINAL PRICE" emails? sheesh!)

obviously, if you ask for an adoption fee, most unscrupulous people won't bother. and frankly, once you find the right person you are 100% on, just waive the fee.

does anybody have links to any actual, hard news reports about people scouring CL for pets to sell to labs or dogfighters? again, i don't doubt this goes on, but i am willing to bet it is very rare.

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Craigslist is inefficient for illegal and semi-illegal activities like that. Too many people, and most listers have at least half a brain. After all, they had to be smart enough to find craigslist and understand what it is.

Note that it is against Craigslist policy to sell household pets of any kind. The only kind that are allowed are rehoming of current pets, with a small adoption fee.

I point that out so that you don't get flagged for abuse and banned from craigslist, which would suck. It's in the list of prohibited items. Make sure your post is focused on rehoming them, and I would add an adoption fee to the listing (and simply tell people to use the fee to take them to the first vet visit, or buy kitten supplies).