TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › I'm so evil... I actually like this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm so evil... I actually like this. - Page 2

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Our state has just decided to use these jammers in all prisons. It seems that cell phones are being smuggled in (in intimate places), and used to order drugs, intimidate witnesses, etc..
To me state use of jammers is very different to personal use. They have a legitimate reason to block signals in courts, prisons and parliamentary buildings, and military bases etc. The annoyance of a person does not come under the same legitimate reason for me.
post #32 of 45
I have a cell phone and appreciate it for the times when I have a flat tire and need CAA, or to quickly tell my family that I am at the grocery on my way home and can they think of anything they need or want, or to advise someone we are running later and when to expect our arrival (I talk on the phone while hubby drives in those instances). I never use my minimum minutes per month. There is no NEED for people to be having personal, non-emergency, loud, conversations in the booth next to me while I'm trying to enjoy a meal, or on the highway where I'm hoping to get home safely without being run into by someone who isn't paying attention to the traffic.

A lot of times I honestly think the folks that need to do these things think it makes them look important or something.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
To me state use of jammers is very different to personal use. They have a legitimate reason to block signals in courts, prisons and parliamentary buildings, and military bases etc. The annoyance of a person does not come under the same legitimate reason for me.
No, it doesn't. I'm wondering if the jammers are going to be used at schools here next. While I know that cell phones are often used to cheat on tests, and disrupt classes, I don't think I'd like to see them jammed at schools. Students and teachers do sometimes have to be reached in emergencies, and as long as they switch to silent, vibrating mode, and ask people to send text messages rather than call, I have no problem with cell phone use there.
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
No, it doesn't. I'm wondering if the jammers are going to be used at schools here next. While I know that cell phones are often used to cheat on tests, and disrupt classes, I don't think I'd like to see them jammed at schools. Students and teachers do sometimes have to be reached in emergencies, and as long as they switch to silent, vibrating mode, and ask people to send text messages rather than call, I have no problem with cell phone use there.
In emergencies, why could the main office at the school not be contacted and have them get the person required out of class to attend to the emergency? Before cell phones, emergencies were handled in this manner and it seemed to work fine.

I have to disagree with you, IMO, kids don't NEED a cell phone in class for any reason.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
In emergencies, why could the main office at the school not be contacted and have them get the person required out of class to attend to the emergency as they did in the days before cell phones? Before cell phones, emergencies were handled in this manner and it seemed to work fine.

I have to disagree with you, IMO, kids don't NEED a cell phone in class for any reason.
There's not always somebody in the main office, i.e., the secretary works part time. Calls are supposed to be routed to a phone outside the classrooms when nobody is in the main office, but often aren't, thanks to technological glitches. Many of my students and colleagues have young children, so it's important that they can be contacted at any time.
post #36 of 45
I would buy one in a heartbeat!

Cell phones have bred a whole new generation of ignorant people! I can't tell you how many times I've been to a graduation, wedding, restaurant, play, concert, movie etc and heard someone's phone ringing or someone sitting there talking on the telephone next to me! Or putting my life in danger by a cab driver talking on the phone while I'm in the car!

I get so mad that I have to hold myself back from ripping the phone out of their hands and bashing them in the head with it.

I can't stand cell phones and if I could get away with jamming them I would!
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
There's not always somebody in the main office, i.e., the secretary works part time. Calls are supposed to be routed to a phone outside the classrooms when nobody is in the main office, but often aren't, thanks to technological glitches. Many of my students and colleagues have young children, so it's important that they can be contacted at any time.
I see your point and concede. Here there is always someone in the office if for no other reason than to monitor who enters or exits the school. In the elementary schools I believe all the exit doors are locked when class begins to prevent unauthorized people (or perverts) from wandering the halls. I may be wrong about that but that is my understanding. There have been a couple instances where child molesters have taken young children into school washrooms, thus the locked doors now.
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Our state has just decided to use these jammers in all prisons. It seems that cell phones are being smuggled in (in intimate places), and used to order drugs, intimidate witnesses, etc..
They should do the same for all restaurants, movie theaters, concert venues, ceremony halls etc.

I have a video of my nursing graduation ceremony and smack in the middle of it you hear a darn cell phone ring!

In schools kids should be forced to turn their phones off and drop them in a basket on the teacher's desk upon entering the room, and then pick it up on the way out.
post #39 of 45
It would be nice in places that people really shouldn't be talking anyway. HEY!!! It would give me an excuse to stop my mom from talking anymore!!!! But really, on a bus or in public, that's just wrong.
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I see your point and concede. Here there is always someone in the office if for no other reason than to monitor who enters or exits the school. In the elementary schools I believe all the exit doors are locked when class begins to prevent unauthorized people (or perverts) from wandering the halls. I may be wrong about that but that is my understanding. There have been a couple instances where child molesters have taken young children into school washrooms, thus the locked doors now.
We're a private junior college, and students' schedules vary according to what they're studying, so the doors are open from just before 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.. Some rooms are locked, like the computer room, teachers' lounge, administrative offices, but everything else is open.

There's actually not enough work for a full-time secretary, due to the fact that we're a language school, and any secretary would have to speak German, English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and a few other languages like Turkish, Italian, or Serbo-Croatian to do the work that is currently shared by various native speakers.

As far as collecting cell phones "at the door", some teachers do that when there are tests, while others simply check that they're all turned off and stashed away.
post #41 of 45
Our school just told us to make sure they were switched off for class. If we had tests (and I mean the official end of year exams not smaller class tests for the teacher only) we were not allowed to bring anything into the room and bags etc had to be left outside, and our uniforms didn't have pockets.
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
They should do the same for all restaurants, movie theaters, concert venues, ceremony halls etc.

In schools kids should be forced to turn their phones off and drop them in a basket on the teacher's desk upon entering the room, and then pick it up on the way out.
I don't think everyone should start using these. Jammers can really mess up some very important electrical systems, by accident or on purpose, for instance, planes. They can be misused by people, or even criminals. Jammers can be dangerous. Also, a cell is for communication. Not everyone abuses them. Sometimes I receive VERY important calls that need to be taken, even while I am out and about, for instance, when my dad was in the hospital. Every second counts sometimes.

I like your idea about students giving their cell to someone at the door of the class. Or at least checking to make sure they are put away.
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
However, I agree that situations like the work place it should be inforced. Everyone pretty much has a desk phone where they work, or have access to A phone at work, so if its an emergancy they can be reached on a WORK NUMBER.
I never used my cell at work until they started monitoring phone calls, incoming only, but sadly they were found to be monitoring outgoing call also. They also track internet usage. I never made personal phone calls or used the internet at work. I have an iPhone now and can use it for internet easily. I check my email and call my DH to tell him when I'm coming home. This Big Brother mentality just makes me want to be perverse. I was a happy and compliant employee until I was made to feel like I wasn't. Monitor away workplace, you will find I'm a perfect employee for all you know! Until they get surveillance cameras in, I'm golden.

If someone is doing something wrong, tell them, reprimand, put it in a file and get rid of them, it's easy, why doesn't anyone do this anymore? No, instead blanket edicts are handed out. I didn't like putting my head down on my desk in kindergarten when someone misbehaved and we all had to pay for it. I didn't like it at five and hate it at fifty+.
post #44 of 45
I've dreamed of having a device like that at times when i was in church, work, a movie, etc and someone just starts yacking away on their cell. It's SOOOOO rude!
post #45 of 45
I find it highly irritating when people talk loudly on their phones in public and I especially get annoyed when I'm with a client and they answer their phone in the middle of the consultation!! BUT I don't think it's right to do this to someone sitting on public transport. Fair enough church, cinema etc where silence is necessary.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › I'm so evil... I actually like this.