Questions about flying

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to Los Angeles for a few days in December, and I haven't been on a plane in 3 years. If there are any frequent flyers out there I would appreciate the help - what can't you carry on with you? There are 4 things in my purse I'm sure they'll make me throw out, but I feel I need: contact lens rewetting solution, Tide To Go pen, lip balm and a bottle of asprin. The idea of checking anything makes me queasy - I don't want to lose things like contact lenses or glasses, certain personal items I'm bringing out, etc. Any advice?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you go on the airline carrier website you should be able to find a list of everything that is allowed or not allowed. That would be the best way to get the most current information.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No nail clippers, scissors, etc. Go get the little travel size in deoderant, toothpaste, etc. - full size containers of these are now banned on in cabin suitcases/bags!

And if you need the contact stuff, you'll either have to pack it in a checked in bag (under the plane) or buy it when you get off the plane. Get small bottles of shampoo too.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'll be ok with the things you need. Each traveler is allowed a 3 oz bottle or smaller of any liquids that will, together, fit into a quart sized ziploc bag. Just put anything remotely liquidy in the bag and pull it out of your carry on before you go through security. Put the baggie in the bin at the scanner and you are good to go.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenwales

You'll be ok with the things you need. Each traveler is allowed a 3 oz bottle or smaller of any liquids that will, together, fit into a quart sized ziploc bag. Just put anything remotely liquidy in the bag and pull it out of your carry on before you go through security. Put the baggie in the bin at the scanner and you are good to go.
I just flew in September and I carried my contact case and a small bottle of rewetting drops in my purse with no problem. They also didn't bat an eye at my pill case, which carries several things and not labeled. I also carried on my glasses. It's really not that bad, I don't think you'll have any problems.

And do check out TSA's website. That's the easiest place to find the current info.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of those things I would worry about the tide and the lens solution. The lens solution bottle needs to be a fairly small bottle, I can't remember the ounces, but lets say a small perfume bottle size. Also, the tide pen.....hmmm I'm not entirely sure. I agree with checking the website of the airline. That way you will know for sure.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also want to add that I have not had any problem bringing nail clippers. Put your liquids in the zip lock bag and you will be fine. Oh, and remember to take off your shoes and put them in the bin too

Any liquids 3oz and under are OK (as long as it's not a prohibited liquid --the TSA.gov site will tell you). The tide pen I have is less than 1 oz...should be oK.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live by the rule that anything I could potentially kill someone with I place in the luggage to be check

OK that's probably not that funny. Stories from my sister (who is a flight attendent) tell me that the people at the front are not as up to date as the TSA website. Apparently the list gets updated so frequently that the security guards can barely remember what can go on and what can't. I think that liquids are now allowed back on planes, but in small doses.

I know it sounds pricey for your trip, but I always just leave that stuff in the checked luggage, then buy samples at the airport stores (on the other side of the checkpoints). Less of a headache for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking - buying a bottle of Renu (since it's cleaner, saline solution and disinfectant in one) at the hotel or airport rather than lugging separate bottles of AOSept, cleaner and saline solution.

ethereal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive been on a plane a couple months ago. They didnt do anything to my luggage when I brought 2 full bottles of shampoo and conditioner, nail clippers, a razor, a full bottle of lotion and sun screen......It was in my main suitcase, not my carry on bag. I always take the same things too.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's true also. It depends on the airport, some are easier to get through than others. However I see that you listed your location as N.E., so my thoughts are that things will be a little more investigative at the airport then another part of the country. At least that's been my experience traveling from new england.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fly out of DC or Baltimore and security is not that bad (though you'd think it would be). The airport I've flown from that was very strict with looooong security lines was San Antonio. Who would've thunk it?