Soon to be First-time Cat Owner

jericho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try and make this short, but detailed.

Hopefully, if all goes right, I will be the owner of two new cats with in the month. Here's my basic story:

I grew up in a house without pets, and really don't remember having much exposure to them growing up. My one grandmother did have cats when I was younger, but most friends and family did not have pets. As a result, I never thought much about it and never really thought I'd have one.

Fast forward to this year, when I began giving some thought to getting a cat. My girlfriend is a pet lover, particularly cats, and started a spark in me that has grown over the months. Not to let you think I'm getting a cat because of her. She actually had no idea I was seriously thinking about it until recently. After some deliberation, I decided that I wanted to go ahead and adopt. I hadn't intended to adopt so soon, but found a girl at a local shelter in early October that was adorable. For better or worse, I did not get her. She was about 5 months old, and had I got her I intended to adopt a second cat as well (as I'd be working during the day and didn't want my cat to be lonely). I actually would have got her, but she was missing the first time I went to the shelter and the volunteers thought she had been already adopted. Turned out she was just sick and in isolation, and the second time I came I missed out on her by mere hours (although I did get to play with her). It was disappointing, but partially a good thing.

The good part of not adopting then is that I had plenty of time to clean up my place and get fully prepared for the new cats arrival. I had a spare bedroom that I'd like to use as the cat's homebase if you will, and it really needed to be cleaned out. I spent the last few weeks trying to prepare and did a massive clean-out this past weekend. Actually the entire house has been getting cleaned out, which was much needed, cat or not. So that's a side bonus. Now things are almost perfect for a new guy/gal.

Last weekend I also met with a foster mom, who had many cats up for adoption. I was impressed by many of them, but narrowed the selection down to three guys from the same litter (at least they think they're guys). The little ones are about 8 weeks old now and won't be ready to leave for a few weeks still. But as long as I get approved by the agency I'm in line for first choice of the litter.

If you want to see who the potentials are, petfinder has them listed here:

http://search.petfinder.com/shelterS...=Cat&preview=1

I'm basically choosing between Dustin, Truman, and Champ (who made quite the impression when I visited).

I've read up a lot on cat care and products and have already gotten the major accesories needed (i.e. litter box, scratching post, cat tree, feeder, etc...). My research is what led me to this site. I lurked for a while reading the posts and finally decided I should join.

So I wanted to say hi and hopefully within a few weeks have new cats and photos to post. Any advice is welcomed as I go through this new experience. And I'm sure I'll keep coming back for advice in the coming weeks and months.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I'm pretty new around here myself, and I can tell you right now that this is a wonderful and supportive group of people who have great advice on almost any subject relating to cats!

It sounds like you've really done your research and are ready to get your kittens! That's great! It's always good to see somebody taking the time to get to know about a pet before actually obtaining said pet. Too many people are ill-prepared and ill-equipped to deal with the new animal.

I would be somewhat concerned about getting two kittens at once, however. I'm not talking from a veterinary or a behaviorist point of view, but two kittens are twice the work of one (and three kittens just about quadruples the work -- strange math, but it's essentially true).

While cats *can* get lonely when left on their own (depending on the personality of the individual cat), they are essentially solitary creatures who have since been domesticated. One can *may* be able to handle himself quite well without feline or human companionship during the day, and I've also always found it easier to bond with a single cat than with more than one.

Obviously you know your situation and your preferences better than anybody here does, but I thought I'd just throw that out as something to think about.

The kittens you're considering are adorable! I really like Dustin, though I'm partial to black cats, too, so Truman is adorable as well!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NatsCats
Anyways....

Thank you for adopting & being prepared! Kittens are trouble, so cat proof your house, then once they get home, they'll help you find the things you missed.

Go ahead & read through the health & nutrition forum for advice on high quality foods. I reccomend 3 litterboxes or at least 2 for 2 kitties. The general rule of thumb is one more box than you have cat.

I help people choose kitties to adopt & highly reccomend adopting in pairs. Cats are social animals...mentally they are better off in multiples!

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to respectfully disagree and say that, in my experience, two cats are much easier than one! They take care of each others' (endless, when they're kittens and youngsters) playing needs. My solo cat was much happier when I got him a buddy after two years.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! They are soo cute! I read the blurbs on the kittens and I can see that Champ must have pulled at your heartstrings! Whichever two you pick, you will enjoy them! Kittens are a hoot - and yes, a lot of work - and are absolutely relentless in their determination to PLAY, PLAY, PLAY!!!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brokenheart

I have to respectfully disagree and say that, in my experience, two cats are much easier than one! They take care of each others' (endless, when they're kittens and youngsters) playing needs. My solo cat was much happier when I got him a buddy after two years.
I guess I've just had entirely different experiences!

I've always found it easier to add a second cat at a later date than to bring two of the same age in at the same time, and have done it both ways. That being said, I stay at home with the kitties, and they always have stimulation

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

IThat being said, I stay at home with the kitties, and they always have stimulation
That's a great point. A lot of it depends if the cat has other company during the day, I think. No one was at home on weekdays with my cat, and he seemed much happier when I got a second cat and he had a buddy all day.

Plus, I didn't have to endlessly entertain him when I got home

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats *do* all have different personalities, too. I've owned cats who weren't very dependent on other felines or on humans, and then I've owned cats who, like Whisper, need to have constant affection from either other cats or from humans. Reagan is pretty much that way, too, while Molly is happy to sit back and observe what is going on in her new world.

That being said, if a house is adequately kitten-proofed, having two cats doesn't increase the work *that* much. But I've always found that it's hard to know just *what* an individual cat will get into in advance. For example, Reagan likes to jump on counters, while Whisper has opened himself a hole in the box spring of our bed and hides in there. I would never have thought to kitten proof the box-spring!

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

For example, Reagan likes to jump on counters, while Whisper has opened himself a hole in the box spring of our bed and hides in there. I would never have thought to kitten proof the box-spring!
That is so funny, Raven did the same thing and hides in the box spring!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, first time cat owners -- Protect your box springs! DH wants to put a board under ours on the frame (will firm the mattress, but it's not such a horrible thing for us) to keep Whisper from getting in there to hide, or from tearing it up any more than he already has!

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
congrats on your decision. I think you will enjoy having kittens, they are funny to watch and they learn something new everyday.
take lots of pictures, cause they grow really fast.

you will get a lot of cat "know how" on this site. everyone is very kind and supportive.

welcome and keep us posted!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & welcome to the site. The kittens are gorgeous I'm particularly fond of Dustin & Truman. Greys are my favorite, black comes in 2nd. I've only ever had 1 cat at a time but I've heard & read that 2 are better to keep each other company, & there can be problems introducing a 2nd cat when the 1st has set up its territory. My cat, Blossom, was a foundling at 3 weeks old & I hand raised her. Her only other animal contact is out 2 dogs. I've seen videos on youtube with 2 kittens playing & can see what Blossom missed out on.
The only advice I can think of that I learned when researching on hand raising kittens was not to use clay, clumping litter as young kittens may eat it & it sets like concrete in their stomach.
Good luck with your choice.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!
!........

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & Welcome to the Cat Site!

Good Luck with adopting your new kitten! That is going to be exciting

You'll have to tell us all about your new addition!

Best Wishes! Enjoy the forums!

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!
We are so glad you have joined us!

If I can help you with any questions you have about the site, please click on my username and send me a message.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - I wish all potential owners did their homework as well as you do! Sounds like things will go pretty smoothly.

I must say that when Elsa had 8 kittens, we adopted out 2 of the boys to a family, and that was the most successful adoption out of all of them. You wouldn't want to adopt 2 puppies because of pack mentality, but adopting 2 kittens usually works well. Congrats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jericho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to updated the thread as I was able to take two guys home this weekend. I ended up taking Champ and Dustin, and limiting it to two ctas at this point. It is believed Champ has mild cerebellar hypoplasia, and after watching him the last day I'm inclined to agree. I'm a novice, but he seems to fit the symptoms. Here's some pics:

Champ

Dustin (who's been a bt of scaredy cat thus far)