Vaccinations

byron_57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you guys think about vaccinations. Has any one of you gotten your cat sick because of it, or fur becoming thin, change of behavior etc.

Here in Florida is required to vaccinate your pet prior to spaying. Is this in every state?

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Before altering it's required to get the rabies at least. That's the only time any of my indoor only cats get a shot. The outside ones do get their shots. Distemper once a year and rabies once every 3 years. Only because they are outside.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We vaccinate *all* of our cats, simply because even with indoor cats, there is the risk of them getting outside. We've never had a problem with vaccinations.

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am having am issue now..

Cynder got her booster on Saturday of Feline Distemper and Leukemia and now she is having a bad reaction with watery eyes... We just adopted her Friday. Now I made her sick.

I feel badly about this...

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think all cats should be vaccinated against certain things. But I think "boosters" are basically a scam, so now Gracie just gets rabies shots as required by law. My vet didn't fight me about that.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zoe had her initials vacs at her breeder's and I have taken her for the Purevax rabies shot. I will get her 1 yr booster, but after that she will just have her rabies alone or I might decide to get her boosters every 3 years...I still don't know for sure yet.

sunfairie: Since you just got your kitty, could she be having the familiar symptoms alot of new ones get when you get them home? I know Zoe had the sneezing and watery eyes for a bit.... Just wanted to say you shouldn't feel bad...whatever it is I don't think you're responsible for making her sick...hope she feels better soon!

aquarius

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely recommend kitten initial vaccines. But after that... I am kind of torn. First, I am sure the vaccines work much longer than they are labeled for (they just don't have the testing done/government approval). I had to get a rabies shot for myself, and for humans it is good almost for life -- I was told if I was exposed again, I would just need a booster. Second, since my cat is indoor only, I probably would have a greater chance of getting rabies than he would, so why is he the one getting pumped full of virus every year?

Then again, rabies is a terrible death... and if your cat ever bites anyone and he is not rabies current, you could be in a great deal of trouble. Perhaps I just over-analyze these things.

Nonethelss, the vaccine debate in the veterinary community is far from over!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna try the every other year or every 3rd year vaccinations. I've never had a problem with the cats reacting or getting sick cause of shots. And every cat I took in for spay/neuter (especially the barn cats) had to have full shots including rabies before they were done.

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

Zoe had her initials vacs at her breeder's and I have taken her for the Purevax rabies shot. I will get her 1 yr booster, but after that she will just have her rabies alone or I might decide to get her boosters every 3 years...I still don't know for sure yet.

sunfairie: Since you just got your kitty, could she be having the familiar symptoms alot of new ones get when you get them home? I know Zoe had the sneezing and watery eyes for a bit.... Just wanted to say you shouldn't feel bad...whatever it is I don't think you're responsible for making her sick...hope she feels better soon!
You know I don't know..the vet gave her a shot of benedryl and then gave us an antibiotic and ointment for her eyes. She is STILL not better 100%...
the vet did say she could be having this from all the stress too, but she is just not healthy like she was the day we got her...
I am really conerned

qhgirl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've only had my cat's "baby shots" done: Distemper (Panleukopenia), Rhinotrachetis, Calcivirus, Chlamydia, Leukemia, Rabies. They were done when I got him at 5 months and 2nd set at 6 months when he got neutered. He is an indoor only cat though and doesn't come into contact with other cats. If I had outdoor cats I would probably to every 3 years just to be cautious. My cat has never been sick other than really bad ear mites when I first got him.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zoey reacted to her boosters being all at once... She will get Rabies and then a month later her other boosters every three yrs or titers