kitten with gas

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi there, i'm new here. a month ago i adopted an (then 4 months old) orange domestic short hair, max, from a pound. i am feeding him nutro indoor kitten hard and he occassionally is sneaking the 9-lives wet my 8 year old domestic long hair eats. i hate the 9-lives but it's all he will eat. we are in a constant food battle in the house. the 8 year old, damian, is on prescription C/D. damian is always trying to eat max's dry food and then not eating his, and max wants damian's. max pretty much wants whatever damian wants, i think damian is his hero, lol. anyway, max has HORRIBLE gas. i think poops smell about what all cats smell like, but i don't recall ever having a cat that farts. is it his diet, should i change his hard food, or is it just because he is still young. we haven't had a kitten in at least 15 years so it's hard to remember. we got damian when he was over a year old.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to isolate the cause; a lot of kittens do have this issue, which goes away with time. Their digestive systems are very delicate. I personally would NOT feed 9-Lives, period. I would stick to premium, human-grade brands such as Nutro, Nature's Recipe, Natural Balance, PetGuard, PetGold, and so on. And I would not do a lot of switching for his first year. Stick to a good grad of kitten food, wet and dry. And if you have to isolate him from your adult cat when feeding, you can do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, the 8 year old eats 9-lives because he was my mom's cat and she always just bought basically the cheapest she could get at the grocery store. me personally, refuse to feed a cat anything that comes from a grocery store shelf. he has become a very picky eater limiting himself to only certain flavors and textures. he won't touch any of the wet kitten food i've bought for max. i free-feed the dry. i put out in the morning what they can have and when it's gone it's gone. i'm worried about the 8 year old eating the kitten food because he is on the prescription diet because he had a complete blockage from crystals and needed surgery. every time i try a new brand of wet food, other than 9-lives, he won't eat it.
when i got the kitten, i decided on nutro because i had heard it was a good brand for dogs (my dog, however, was fed science diet). i was considering royal canin, but went with the brand i had heard of.

ashlbee1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My new kitten has some bad gas as well. She will just be sitting there, and then all of a sudden........oh man. lol. She's a tiny 8 week old girl, so it's a lot of stink from such a tiny thing.

crystal_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two year old cat had gas when she was a kitten and it has never gone away but the smell did. These days the only way to to tell she has gas is if you are holding her after she ate and you can feel these little explosions in her stomach, sometimes you can hear it but it doesn't seem to bother her.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I adopted little Forrest at 12 weeks he had TERRIBLE gas. Poor little boy. The rescue shelter was feeding him dry kitten food from Costco and they gave me some to feed when I got him. After I switched him over to mostly wet (Wellness Kitten) with Innova EVO as dry he started smelling better - but it took at least a month for a real improvement.

Now at 6 months there is an occasional "smell" if I pick him up quickly or he is startled. Maybe only once a week or less now

krnsmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has gas too and bloated stomach. I found this forum just tonight to help find a solution. He was test for worms but had none. He also passes it when I pick him up and play with him.

He is normal weight and frisky and appears to be healthy otherwise and with shiny coat. I feed him mostly dry of Friskies, Meow Mix or Kit-n-Kaboodle and canned Special Kitty from Wal-mart. I have wondered if there is an ingredient in catfood that causes it. A grain perhaps.

Any ideas?

How do you insert pictures on your posts?

Karen

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by krnsmith

My kitten has gas too and bloated stomach. I found this forum just tonight to help find a solution. He was test for worms but had none. He also passes it when I pick him up and play with him.

He is normal weight and frisky and appears to be healthy otherwise and with shiny coat. I feed him mostly dry Friskies with the Carnation milk and canned Special Kitty from Wal-mart. I have wondered if there is an ingredient in catfood that causes it. A grain perhaps.

Any ideas?

How do you insert pictures on your posts?

Karen
The food is LOW QUALITY ... BUT STOP the carnation milk.. try cat milk...

has your kitty been wormed by the vet??

kittykittysick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my new persian kitty h as the farties too (he eats INNOVA EVO and Medi-CAL).... the vet said its all good, it doesnt matter as long as he isnt having loose stools or vomiting or anything. it will pass in time, and other than the stinky smell, my kitty is doing fine..

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by karebearcasey

hi there, i'm new here. a month ago i adopted an (then 4 months old) orange domestic short hair, max, from a pound. i am feeding him nutro indoor kitten hard and he occassionally is sneaking the 9-lives wet my 8 year old domestic long hair eats. i hate the 9-lives but it's all he will eat. we are in a constant food battle in the house. the 8 year old, damian, is on prescription C/D. damian is always trying to eat max's dry food and then not eating his, and max wants damian's. max pretty much wants whatever damian wants, i think damian is his hero, lol. anyway, max has HORRIBLE gas. i think poops smell about what all cats smell like, but i don't recall ever having a cat that farts. is it his diet, should i change his hard food, or is it just because he is still young. we haven't had a kitten in at least 15 years so it's hard to remember. we got damian when he was over a year old.
I am using the same food (Nutro Indoor Kitten Dry), plus their wet food, and am having the same issue. My kitten is STINKY, lol. I just started a thread about this very same thing and people suggested using the non-indoor kitten food that Nutro makes b/c it doesn't have soy in it.