I took the test for the post office today...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone, keep your fingers crossed! Anyone else ever take one? This is the first one I've taken. They're supposed to mail the results, but I have no idea how long it takes to actually get offered a job.

It may not take very long, because they were going to close our post office (a distribution center) and laid off a lot of employees, but it's not closing now so they have all the positions to fill. I'm sure they are calling some employees back, but hopefully there are still openings.

I'm willing to do anything except be a mail carrier. I'm not good driving in snow, and that whole "rain, sleet, snow, darkness of night" thing isn't good for me. I just want to get my foot in the door with federal employment. I need the benefits, not to mention the pay!

I know chances are slim. There were 2 testing dates, and there were over 100people there today, but I'm still hoping.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck! I am a postal employee here in NZ and I am undergoing training for a promotion - gosh, it is SO hard but I am getting there. I hope you get the job!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I was going to apply with the postal service when I had been looking for jobs in '05. They were advertising at $16+/hr, benefits, holidays, etc.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! It took me a year-and-ahalf to get hired after testing. I'm a mailhandler at a Bulk Mail Center. I'm a bit biased but IMO mailhandler is the employee craft to be in. We get more overtime than the clerks and carriers do. Clerks have also been losing jobs in many facilities. They are still employed but positions that clerks could bid to have been eliminated by the installation of automated processing machines staffed fully by mailhandlers.

The career employess that were laid off in your area should get their jobs back. It's going to depend on what the agreement between the unions and management is. The mailhandlers have their own union. Clerks, carriers, maintenance, etc., are all represented by the APWU. Some of the employees that were affected by the lay off may have transferred to other postal facilities to work.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh good luck! I thought about it for a bit, but I just don't think I'm physically in the best shape to move a lot of packages and things, so thinking is as far as the idea went.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! It took me about a month to be hired after taking the test but there was a position open and a test at the same time. I'm a rural carrier serving an auxillary route and I've worked for the PO for 11 years. It's a hard job physically but the pay is pretty good, actually it's good enough that it's kept me from quitting many times. LOL!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Good luck! It took me a year-and-ahalf to get hired after testing. I'm a mailhandler at a Bulk Mail Center. I'm a bit biased but IMO mailhandler is the employee craft to be in. We get more overtime than the clerks and carriers do. Clerks have also been losing jobs in many facilities. They are still employed but positions that clerks could bid to have been eliminated by the installation of automated processing machines staffed fully by mailhandlers.

The career employess that were laid off in your area should get their jobs back. It's going to depend on what the agreement between the unions and management is. The mailhandlers have their own union. Clerks, carriers, maintenance, etc., are all represented by the APWU. Some of the employees that were affected by the lay off may have transferred to other postal facilities to work.
I have several friends who work in the US postal service - two of them decided they wanted to be trained as engineers so that they could keep their jobs to maintain the machines. One of them thinks she will retire early.