Purevax rabies vaccine

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if Purevax vaccine has been approved for 3 years? I think they were doing studies on how long it really lasts.

I have to take my cats in for their mandatory rabies shots this week. I'm so opposed to vaccinations of any kind, I HATE being forced into this. Right now I feel kind of
just thinking about it. But I don't want to give them any of the kind with the adjunctive or whatever it's called, which leaves Purevax, which means I have to get it every year.

I wish there was something we could do to change that stupid law for indoor only cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ask for blood titers that will tell if the anitbody levels are high enough ....

aquarius

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Purevax is labeled for 1 year only. Imrab is labeled for 3 years. Purevax is much more expensive than Imrab, but much safer, and has not been linked to vaccine-related sarcomas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

ask for blood titers that will tell if the anitbody levels are high enough ....
It doesn't matter, it's the stupid law that we have to get it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aquarius

Purevax is labeled for 1 year only. Imrab is labeled for 3 years. Purevax is much more expensive than Imrab, but much safer, and has not been linked to vaccine-related sarcomas.
Thanks. Yes, I know Purevax is safer, that's what I'll be getting. I was just hoping they had gone with 3 years so I wouldn't have to do this to my cats as often.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Thanks. Yes, I know Purevax is safer, that's what I'll be getting. I was just hoping they had gone with 3 years so I wouldn't have to do this to my cats as often.
I think they are still working on getting approval. I have my cats get the Purevax shot too. When we moved to Iowa, the vets that we have gone to will only give the Purevax vaccine. The clinic we've been going to for a couple years told me they had too many problems from the other vaccines.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I think they are still working on getting approval. I have my cats get the Purevax shot too. When we moved to Iowa, the vets that we have gone to will only give the Purevax vaccine. The clinic we've been going to for a couple years told me they had too many problems from the other vaccines.
That's all they give at the clinic I go to as well, and if they didn't have it, I'd go somewhere that did. I really wish they would get approval for 3 years though, since I've heard it really does last much longer than one year.