Will I need a scratching post if I use Soft Paws?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that Soft Paws won't fix the behavioral aspect of scratching in the wrong spots, but will having a post be useless if she is just goint to be wearing them all the time? Is it worth it to teach her where to scratch and to give her something like a post if she's going to have her claws covered?

(I'm adopting a new kitten and have no idea about the whole scratching thing. My cat's previous owner declawed her so I haven't had the issue arise).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still teach her where to scratch, who can say if you'll be using soft paws for the next 20 years.

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Generally you would only need soft paws if a) she scratches in bad places and b) she doesn't let you trim her claws.

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
My cat mellow has a scratch post and wears soft paws, he scratches his post quite often and really enjoys it, Most cats have a natural want to scratch instinct, and by providing them with a post will allow them to scratch as much as he or she likes, Mellow really stretches into it when he scratches, so it must be a nice feel for him. Soft paws fall off, with the natural claw, some fall off before others, which means that sometimes Mellow will have some claws uncovered and some covered, having the scratch post means that his uncovered claws have a good place to scratch where they wont do any damage. I wait for all the soft claws to fall off before replacing them because if I open a glue up, it always dries hard my the time I need to put another claw cover on.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, go ahead and get one. You may be able to actually train the kitten to use only the scratching post, and not need to use soft claws anymore. After all, if you can train him, then all you need to do is clip his claws and you'll be fine! Most cats are trainable in this fashion. Just take him to his post or scratch pad whenever you see him scratching something inappropriate (even if he's wearing the soft claws and can't damage it).

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a post or three, try carpet, sisal and cardboard, different cats prefer different surfaces.
My old lady cat only wore them during training.
She absolutely will not scratch anywhere other than the posts and cardboard boxes now.
Even my declawed cats enjoy pawing at the scratching posts above anything else.

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mellow is really cute. Arlyn, can you tell me more about your training, I am working with little Kitto right now.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats still like to stretch themselves out on a post, regardless if they have claws, soft paws or no claws. Get a scratch post tall enough for them to stretch their entire body out on.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would definetly get a scratching post. I taught my kitty by using the post myself
:. Anytime your kitty scratches somewhere other than the post, gently place her by the scratching post and use it yourself. She will get the hang of it in no time.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver wears soft paws and has 2 posts and 2 homemade scratching boards (Pieces of cardboard kind of duct taped together and then covered in pairs of old jeans... he likes to scratch, sit on and lean on them and it keeps him from kneeding with claws on my lap when I'm wearing jeans)... he uses all of these spots very regualrly even when every toe is capped - scratching is an instinctual thing... they're actually marking when they do it... plus you won't always be able to replace each cap right as it falls off so there will be some times when your kitty's got "naked toes" ( as I call them haha) and it's like they just know when they've lost a cap and think "niiiiiiiiice I've got an open talon, what can I scratch?!?!" Plus scratching on posts and boards helps them stretch out... I recently made a scratching post for Oliver that's about 3 feet high and he loves to stretch all the way up on his tippy toes on it

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty simple, I just told her No firmly and redirected her to her scratching posts, all of which were treated to a light catnip spray to entice them.

She's a smart cat, she caught on fairly quickly.