What kind of collar?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I wondered if when you guys buy a collar for your baby/s, do you go for prettyness, practicality or both? Or it doesn't matter to you? What material do you like the best? All of our cats have had flea collars up until Jazzy passed and i was told they weren't too good (though they've never killed our cats) So i've had fun with collars for Chuckie, as most of the flea collars were a gaudy orange or pink! Atm he has this cute rubber one i bought, it's orange with cat eyes and whiskers on it. Tomorrow i'm getting him one with stronger elastic. It's going to be a sexy tartan fabric, hopefully blue or green
(cost a bit more too, realised $2 and $8 is a big difference in quality surprisingly)

It's the most creative thread i could think of while sick lol

I know some of you out there like to adorn your furbabies with rhinestones...admit it!!

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I buy collars, safety is the most important thing to me. I always get a quality break-away collar.
Next is which color would look best with his fur!
I think he looks handsome in red.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine has a red plaid and a blue plaid... gave him an Irish name, so he gets plaid... I saw a cute brown plaid one too, but I'm waiting for another sale. He doesn't mind when I change them up. Def get a breakaway colllar... I don't know what Seamus did, but one day I came home and the collar was off nowhere to be found for a few days until he put it out right outside the closet door... I'm thinking he was possibly climbing and got caught up on something, and if that is the case, thank goodness it's a breakaway.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
plain for miss Zoey as she hates collars and destroys a number a yr

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley used to wear the Harley/Davidson orange & black break away one - but he manages to get it off & hide it

Bayley can't wear them because he is allergic to plastic

I wish Harley would wear one tho, but he just gets bothered by it & removes it himself (somehow, I don't really know how- but I'm sure Bayley helps him
)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Safety is really the most important thing. I always test the clasp before purchasing to make sure it does breakaway as advertised. Then I worry about style.

linglish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I buy in bulk from Ebay as Kina loses a few a year. I almost like having to replace them- kind of like getting a new outfit! I always buy breakaway designs b/c I'm sure she gets them caught on things when she loses them. The seller that I buy from is super sweet- she sells collars, leashes, and scarves on ebay in order to be able to stay home with her autistic child. If anyone is interested, her store is http://stores.ebay.com/Hip-Cat-Hip-Dog-Hip-Collars.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

No collar for Trouty
She looks cuter naked
I don't think anything could compete with that beautiful tortie coat

Originally Posted by erinca7821

Mine has a red plaid and a blue plaid... gave him an Irish name, so he gets plaid... I saw a cute brown plaid one too, but I'm waiting for another sale. He doesn't mind when I change them up. Def get a breakaway colllar... I don't know what Seamus did, but one day I came home and the collar was off nowhere to be found for a few days until he put it out right outside the closet door... I'm thinking he was possibly climbing and got caught up on something, and if that is the case, thank goodness it's a breakaway.
I always call plaid tartan lol, i meant what you said. We never used the breakaway collars as they always had flea collars. Chuckies always in sight as he's indoors and theres nothing in here or the enclosure he can get caught on. But i do think it's a good idea for those outdoor/adventurous kitties. Now that he gets advantage the collar is more to hold his registration tag on in case he does ever get away (which he won't!!). He also wasn't too fond of bells so he doesn't need those either
although he did get to sniff his first bird in over 6 months the other day. A honeyeater smacked into a window and died instantly, i took it through the house to the back and Charlie took one smell and practically bounced around like he was on catnip!

Ahh to be free in the streets

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whisper has a red break-away with a bell on it. The collar is practical, he can't get it off on his own, but if he gets caught on something, he's still safe. His collar stays on him at all times.

Reagan has an *elastic* collar. DH was trying to save money and decided to get a collar at the dollar store -- no problem, just for attaching tags or whatever, right? WRONG. She can get it off. I haven't bothered to put it back on her, no matter how cute it looks! She now has a quality "flat" (non break-away) collar that is going to be used in leash training so that she can start to go for walks outside, since she's so desperate for them!

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
most of my babies do not have collars (not the best thing for a persian to have) But the kitties that do have collars have the breakaway ones....

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use collars on my current kittens but have with past cats. I wouldn't use elastic, if they get caught up they often can't get out. Recently helped out the neighbours cat who had a front leg through the collar, took 2 days to catch her.

I'd only use breakaway or safety collars.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They get the one's that look the safest to me. They may not be the safest, but they break away very well, so they are good for me.

Enzo's got an orange Harley Davidson
Leya a pale purple
Stuart a royal blue

And Thor's got a plain ole black one, it was the least girly toy dog collar at the big pet store, but it still has a little daisy hanging off it

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley has two from ragtime pet collars. I buy them because they are lightweight cotton and breakaway. He has a rainbow animal print one, and a green reptile print one which has my phone number embroidered on it.