Went to two shelters yesterday.....

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want a new cat to keep Links company, as he seems lonely now. So yesterday, we went to The Cats Protection and the RSPCA. We didn't see any at the RSPCA that I thought 'I want that cat' so we went to the the Cats Protection. We saw the cutest little Calico. A little younger than we were looking for but that was okay. As it happens she can't be seperated from her brother and I'm not sure we would want two more at this stage. So there was another Calico called Chubby that I really liked, 2 years old, which is just what I was looking for.

So I filled in the form to arrange a home check. And they asked me some questions. They also said that in my area I need to have a cat around 8 years old or above. I said that was fine.

On the form I said that I do not have a cat flap, and would not be putting one in. They said that this would cause a problem as they would perfer to home their cats in a place that they can come and go as they please!!! I won't be letting my new cat out, not after what happened to Ziggy. They also said the the reason an older cat would be better is because they are more calm and less likely to run around on the roads. Again... I will not be letting this cat out!!!

I'm really disapointed because I don't think I will be able to get a cat from any shelter because of this. The RSPCA also asked about a cat flap.

Oh Well. They are coming tomorrow at 11am to assess my house and location. Hopefully they will allow me to have one.

On a brighter note. A guy from my work has been considering rehoming their cat. They have a young baby and have had a few close encounters with 'face-napping' The cat has also tryed to play attack the baby. She is a year old, black with white mitts, chin and bib, and is currently called Tallula. Fingers croosed on her.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really? They won't let you have the cat because you don't want to risk losing it to the outdoors, again? That....That just seems wrong. I would think they'd be -happy- that you don't plan on letting it out. o_o

Then again, I'd never let my cats outside, unless they were on a leash, anyway, and think it's crazy that people let their cats out. And then again, again, I live in a big city, where it's pretty stupid to let your cats out, anyway. =P

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They actually told you that you have to adopt a cat around 8 years or older?? That is MESSED UP!

You could just tell them that you will be taking them outside on a leash since what happened to your last one. Or you could even build a small enclosure so that they cannot run off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a back garden. But I do have a huge grass bank at the side of my house (My house is built into a hill)

I don't mind having an older cat, but I would be concerned that it won't be active enough for Links who is only 3 months old. I was after one who is around a year or two.

They believe that cats should be FREE to wander as they please. And not inside all day. They also said that having a litter tray in the house is unhealthy for my 2year old son. I explained that I have had cats for a year and that my son doesn't touch it.

I told them what happened to Ziggy, and they just said, 'That's why you should have an older cat, because they won't go so close to roads as they are not so playfull and are more cautious'.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I was in England/UK, I'd have a problem too with their insistance on letting them outside. I'm in the US and no one can convience me that letting them come and go as they please is ok
But I know UK is different and I'll respect that

If you get turned down, then I would either adopt the coworker's cat if you feel its the right one, or look into the newspaper's ads and just adopt one from a private party in this case.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's strange because i wasn't asked anything like that?. And i know my branch prefer that their kept inside.

If you have a problem with them let me know and i'll have a word with Chris who's the branch secretary of my local branch. I feel like telling her what you've been told anyway?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so strange to me that the UK is so civilized that declawing isn't done, but still considers it okay to let cats outdoors. Maybe you should suggest that they look at some relevant threads on this site and see how so many others view this issue.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be nice to do an exchange with the UK

1. USA bans declawing in every state, and

2. UK starts promoting that cats are healthier and better off as inside cats

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The UK have done studies that show that their cats, despite the obvious car accident problems are generally healthier than cats that are kept inside as they get the exercise their bodies were meant to get daily. They have less feline obesity and related medical problems so I doubt anyone would change the RSPCA's ideas on the indoor/outdoor debate.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be worth it to buy a fake door and install a cat door on it? Then just put it up while they're there and take it down after they leave?

actually I would recommend driving a bit further for a shelter that doesn't mind if you're going to keep the cat indoors.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice idea but I don't have a backdoor and there is no way I would have a flap on the front door.

I'll just see what happens tomorrow. If I can't have a cat from a rescue, then I will look in the paper and on the internet. There are loads on there. And I got Ziggy from the paper.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they let you get a kitty. I agree about not letting the kitties out. It deceases their life span so much and I would be worried sick every time my cat was outside.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Cats Protection came today.

They will not let me have a cat.

I was at work and my partner was there, and basically she said my house is too near roads
Whose house isn't near a road? (unless out in the country side on a farm or something) So, the lady suggested we keep Links as an indoor, which Andy said that we will anyway. They said that we can't have an older cat (even though they said that would be best if we have roads nearby) as they are used to the outdoors and it would be unfair to them. Ok, I agree with that. They said then that we couldn't have a younger cat because they too are used to outdoors. And we can't have a kitten because my son is under 5 years old - I knew that anyway, and we weren't looking for a kitten.

I'm so angry and upset, because I am willing to train a younger cat to stay indoors. They say they want the best life for their cats. I can give them that. They could see that me house was clean and tidy, and that the food and litter was clean and hygeinic for them, and they could also see the HUGE grass bank and bushy area at the side of my house. They were still concerned about the cat flap too. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH I'm so angry. I'm suprised they home any of their cats with strict rules like that.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I am too - its a wonder they adopt any cats! Well don't be too upset. Check with your coworker and see if that's the one that you like or just look in the newspaper.

Heck with Cat Protection - find yourself a great kitty that you can love for a long time. Its sad when they put that many restrictions on adoption.

I'd never use them if I lived in England - there are other places that would be glad to have someone give a cat/kitten a good home!

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My co-workers partner is now reluctant to let go of their cat. It's easier to say something than to actually do it.

Anyway, been on the internet and found someone in my town with some kittens for sale. I e-mailed her and she has sent me pictures.

Only the two on the right are for sale. I want the tortie!!! She kinda reminds me of Ziggy, but don't worry, I'm not trying to replace her. I
torties so much that I would have a house full of them!!! (I think she's more torbie - look at the top of her head)

AAAAAHHHHH I want her!!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grizzlie has an orage spot on the top of her head like the one in your picture!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's worth checking classified ads - I got Radar through an online ad on vivastreet (I had the same problem adopting from CHAT, so resorted to other methods).

Do watch out if you look on there though, there are loads of people advertising things like 'Bengal Cross Kittens' for as much as £400 (with a photo showing some very cute but definitely not Bengal anything medium haired red tabby kittens
) so don't be conned into anything - unlikely anyway since you're not daft.