Cynder's Eye-help

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cynder's left eye is watery today and she is having trouble opening it. I can open it and it does not look red, her fur aroudn the eye is just wet and she keeps it closed or keeps blinking.

I gave her a bath yesterday and a good blow dry and brushing but did not wet her head at all.

Everyone (humans) have colds here so I am wondering if we gave her our cold or if I got a hair in her eye? NO soap touched her head.

Anything to do naturally to help her?
We just had her at the vet yesterday and all was well. We rescued her from the shelter on Friday.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Traci, have I miss something.... you got another cat? 4 in 2 months? wow.

This eye thing used to happen to Lola, she contantly had a watery eye and would ofter have it closed. I think that perhaps her fur has folded inside the eye-lid? Maybe she has something under her third eyelid. Are you able to open it up enough to have a good look in there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

Hi Traci, have I miss something.... you got another cat? 4 in 2 months? wow.

This eye thing used to happen to Lola, she contantly had a watery eye and would ofter have it closed. I think that perhaps her fur has folded inside the eye-lid? Maybe she has something under her third eyelid. Are you able to open it up enough to have a good look in there?
Yep..I did...
Husband is gone and now I can have them...
Thanks for the tip....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other poster's advice is good; another thing it could be is she may have gotten a grain of kitty litter in there. Cats kick their litter around a lot, and sometimes a grain can get into the eye. Or it could be fur, either loose, or like the other poster suggested, ingrown "eyelashes". I'd monitor her closely for a day or two, and if she doesn't seem better, I would make an appt. for her to see her doctor. Better safe than sorry. My Nicolas T. Cat had to have an operation on both eyelids due to ingrown "eyelashes", which is a very painful condition. So make sure you don't leave it if she is still tearing and red-eyed!

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just looked up your threads and found a picture of her. I'll hopefully be adopting an 8year old cat in the next few days. Hoping the shelters will let me have one. Ziggy died last week and the place feels wierd with just one.

I would asume that you have been bathing her eye. It would help to keep it nice and clean, and to make sure whatever comes out of them don't end up back in!! Being a longhaired, this can be quite common.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also try to put a warm washcloth on it if she keeps rubbing it. However, if she's anything like my two kitties, that won't happen more than once and it won't last very long! LOL

Stephanie

PS~Congrats on the new furbaby!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats will occasionally do this. I don't know what it is but each time she got over it in a day or two and it never looks infected. The first time I was going to take her to the vet in a couple of days when I got paid but she was over it before pay day. Now I just watch it for signs of infection and she gets over it on her own.

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone..will do I will watch for signs of infection..so far none..just watery eye...I see nothing when I open it...trying the warm wash cloths next...

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I called the vet because now both eyes are watering terribly..like she smelled an onion.

They think she is having a reaction to the Distemper and Leukemia booster she got when they saw her on Saturday.
They said it can happen. I totally forgot about that booster she got.

SO I have to watch her and if she gets worse with sneezing or not eating, or if it turns yellow or green and goopey..then bring her in ASAP.

Poor baby...