I got this email from Nutro today:
April 23, 2007
Dear Nutro Customers,
We know many of you have questions about the FDA's latest reports that melamine was found in rice protein concentrate (also referred to as rice gluten). We want to address those concerns as well as provide you with information on our use of corn gluten, which we include in some of our pet foods as an ingredient in the form of corn gluten meal.
Our customers have also brought to our attention confusion that has been caused by the media in reporting the new recall of some Natural Balance pet foods. Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. is not in any way affiliated with Nutro Products nor Nutro's Natural ChoiceÂ®, MAXÂ® or Ultraâ„¢ brands.
I hope the following information is helpful in clearing up any confusion you may have.
Regarding Rice Protein Concentrate:
(1) Nutro uses rice protein concentrate in some of its products because it provides an important source of protein for pets, especially for those with digestive sensitivities and allergies.
(2) Independent laboratory tests have confirmed that the rice protein concentrate (also known as rice gluten) used in Nutro's pet foods does not contain melamine.
(3) It has been reported that the Natural Balance recall is focused on products containing rice protein concentrate provided by Wilbur-Ellis Company. Nutro has NEVER purchased or used rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis Company in any of our pet foods.
Regarding Corn Gluten:
(1) Nutro uses corn gluten meal in some of its pet foods because it is a source of sulfur amino acids, which are important for skin and coat health. Corn gluten meal also helps as a natural urine acidifier that is important for both cats and dogs.
(2) All of the corn gluten meal that Nutro uses in its products is produced in the United States.
Nutro customers may check Nutro's website (www.nutroproducts.com
) or contact our Consumer Hotline -- (800) 833-5330 -- for further information about our products. We will continue to post updated information on our website and our customer service representatives are working diligently to respond to each and every call and email personally.
We understand that the pet food recall has caused continued confusion and frustration and we are doing everything we can to provide you with the information you need about our products. We will continue to keep you updated.
President & CEO