New Cat Owner and member: What mix is my cat?

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

We adopted our Cat Prince a few months ago. We were trying to figure out his mix. After doing some research, We guess he is part Mane Coon and Domestic medium hair. Here are a few pics. We welcome any other suggestion to his mix.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO he does resemble a Maine Coon, so best guess would be a MC mix
He's very handsome too
Might also be a bit Turkish Angora (face is a bit more pointed looking), but not too many TA's running the streets

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
to TCS! With his ruff and bushy tail, I'd also say MC mix, or possibly Norwegian Forest Cat mix.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for looking GoldenKitty45 and Jcat. Also, Thanks for the compliments on Prince from the other members. We always tell him he is Handsome and he seems to admire it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely a Maine Coon, DMH mix
I do not think he has Turkish Angora in him - my kitty Isabella is an odd-eyed Turkish Angora- his body structure is a wee bit differnt than a TA's. He does have the ear tufts though- but Maine Coons do too! That is just my best guess though!
Whatever he's mixed with though- your kitty is absolutely gorgeous!!!! He has a beautiful, shiny coat too! What a handsome little guy!!!!

Feel free to post more pictures of your sweet kitty in the "fur pictures" section!! I'm sure we'd all love to see more!

lizsto1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beauty. He looks just like my sisters cat Chuckie. Huge, black and lots of fur!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to tell from those pictures, but his muzzle doesn't quite look square enough for a MC, that's why I thought Turk. But I forgot that the Norwegians have a triangle face - would have to really do an "in-person" evaluation

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking he definitely has Maine Coon, or Norwegian Forest cat in him before I saw some of the replies. Maybe your vet could give you a better idea? In any case, he is an absolute beauty!!
How much does he weigh? I know those breeds can get HUGE!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I was thinking he definitely has Maine Coon, or Norwegian Forest cat in him before I saw some of the replies. Maybe your vet could give you a better idea? In any case, he is an absolute beauty!!
How much does he weigh? I know those breeds can get HUGE!!
Thanks for the gift. I forgot to ask the Vet. I'll ask her next time. He is 15lbs.
about 1.5 yrs old and very healthy. When someone sees him for the first time they are amazed on how big he his. He has a long body and alot of hair that make him look big.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless the vet really is knowledgable about breeds, they would be the last person I'd ask as to what the cat might be

My vet here in town had never seen a Cornish Rex or an Ocicat till he saw ours - so he would have NO clue as to the breed

koodeez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You must have my Cat's clone!!!!!!! (not too groomed in this picture)...lol

This is Raymond which had MC in him and LION! I wish I had a picture to show of his sister, Lucy... they are both huge!

This is my newest edition as a kitten, a year ago... SweetPea!!! He has the same look as your cat as well.. I will post more recent picture of him soon...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Unless the vet really is knowledgable about breeds, they would be the last person I'd ask as to what the cat might be

My vet here in town had never seen a Cornish Rex or an Ocicat till he saw ours - so he would have NO clue as to the breed
I second that - some vets are great with identifying breeds/etc- but many are not. My vet recently put my Australian Shepherd down as a german shepherd x and my Carolina Dog down as a lab x- i quickly corrected the error- i swear they mean well but have no clue about some of the breeds out there
They also put Isabella down as a DLH and i had to correct it and make sure they put down Turkish Angora too. (i know it sounds picky- but i want my descriptions of the animals on their medical charts to be as accurate as can be because when you know the breed of your animal- you can also be on the look out for any genetic problems down the road that the breed may be more prone too so the more accurate the charts- the better
)

missdreamy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You see, my friend thinks Bernard is part Maine Coone as well. He doesn't have the ear tufts, but he has the tufts between his paws (that are HUGE) and the long fluffy tail. He is also a very big cat!! My aunt's cat Barney could fit twice inside him!!! I've looked up Maine Coone's on the net, and he really seems to fit the personality -i.e. dog like, follows us everywhere, the purr-miaow that's so sweet and high pitched that it seems impossible that it comes out of a large cat! Also he LOVES water - goes outside and gets soaking, paws in his water bowl. Never known a cat like him!!!

Tell me what you think. But it's also another chance to show off my beautiful boy!!

This shows the paw 'tufts'

Gawd knows what he is really, but he's still my little (large) love!!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think he has some MC in him - eartufts, size, really hairy paw tufts. Friends of ours have two purebred MCs - they are huge cats 20 lbs each and they like to dip their paws in their water bowls when they eat. One of them is more sociable than the other - if you lean in to him, he will gladly groom your hair for you!

missdreamy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, he does that with the water bowl. Kind of paws at it - I thought it was very odd at first!!! Also he felt like a 14lb 'bowling ball' when he landed on my boyfriend's back at 5 o'clock this morning!!!