Setting clocks back & cats

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Daylight savings time ended this morning in the US...
Dexter & Sadie, my furry alarm clocks, woke up really early this morning.
Instead of their usual "we want breakfast dance" at 4 or 5am...
it was 3am.

Do your kitties wake early when we set our clocks back?

How do you get them to adjust to the new time?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at work and they made us work an extra hour! I am sure Maia was wondering where mommy was!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They (or mainly Charlie) was bugging us to get up a little early. But they go more of when the alarm clock goes off and it was not set last nite.....

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
"Houdini" broke through the baby gate to tell us it was time to get up.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't seem to make any difference to our furkids.
But, the second someone walks into the kitchen they have three fuzzballs screaming at their feet for breakfast.
You'd swear they were starving

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For me it's the dogs that get me up an hour early! The cats are too comfortable curled up next to me on the bed.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was just curled up next to me and when I started to stir, he got up. He's gotten very accustomed to weekends. When he hears the alarm go off during the week, he gets right up while I hit snooze for a little while... If he doesn't hear the alarm go off, he stays in bed a bit later... it's only if I try to really milk it and sleep til 10 or later that he gets fussy, which is good because I don't need to sleep that much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

"Houdini" broke through the baby gate to tell us it was time to get up.
So sweet Abby is really Houdini in disguise?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine don't wake me up in the morning but since they get their wet food dinner at 7PM sharp, they are really confused when the time changes. I started pushing back their feeding time all this week by 10 minute intervals, so last night they ate at 8PM. They weren't happy.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also feed at night, however, it doesn't stop Summer from DEMANDING attention from me! I was up early this morning and they usually follow when I get up. In the past I ignore her as long as possible. She'll re-adjust to the alarm schedule soon enough....

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew it was going to be an issue so I shut my bedroom door all the way instead of leaving it cracked open so she can come in.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We live in a one bedroom place where there is no escaping cats who want me to get up.
If I shut the bedroom door they become agitated, scratch & yowl until I let them in.
Again, at 3:30 this morning I gave up.
It's now a little after 4am, that are eating their wet food breakfast.
Cats rule....
I mean they really do rule, at least at my place.

leila

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I have had an hour of cat sitting on my pillow patting my face the past couple of mornings, luckily I am very good at sleeping so it doesn't bother me too much
He is usually very well behaved and just snuggles until I get up, the face patting normally only starts when he is sure it's terribly late for his breakfast and he's in danger of starving

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Zane started doing the 'Starving Kitty' act at 4:00 pm (new time) yesterday. I persisted obdurate until almost five, when I couldn't stand the noise (I swear, he must have some Siamese blood somewhere) and gave in.

However, today, being a workday, he'll get fed when I get home; he can yowl all he wants, nobody will hear him. I know, it sounds hard, but if you saw Zane you'd see that he is in no danger of starving; he resembles nothing so much as a furry football (Rugby ball for British readers) with legs and a tail.

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something definitely changed -- Juniper woke us up at 6:30 this morning, which is an hour earlier than his usual "alarm clock" (meowing at the door until we squirt him or let him in)... but he then actually slept on us for another hour. Normally he comes in, purrs like mad, and starts pouncing/chewing on our feet underneath (and ends up back in the hall). But today he cuddled up and slept.

So both a negative and a positive (but ultimately a net positive!).

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sawyer is NOT happy about DST. He's adjusted to the morning routine, but when it comes to dinner time he starts crying for food at 3:00 p.m. We usually don't feed him until 5:30-6:00. He lays by where the food is and acts like he is on death row. He looks soo pitiful.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mr. Bond was convinced the alarm hadn't been set, and patted me awake early. So I had to explain, and now he's fine.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Libby'sMom

Sawyer is NOT happy about DST. We usually don't feed him until 5:30-6:00. He lays by where the food is and acts like he is on death row. He looks soo pitiful.
Yes....Sadie and Dexter are still giving me the "stare" at 4pm.
They think that I am trying to starve them.
Poor babies.

Hurry back daylight savings time.