Shoving Trout into her cat carrier...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trouty has a vet appointment tomorrow morning and I am dreading shoving her into the carrier yet again.

Do you all think its better to leave the carrier out all night so she gets used to it...or just surprising her and shoving her into it in the morning with no warning?

She was just in it like a month ago..so she will remember ther "terror"

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I took my 2 to the vet last time, I left the carriers out all night to prepare them
. Well, Petunia still ripped up my arm when I put her in the crate so it didn't really help. However, she didn't seem surprised when I tried to put her in the crate which I think saved me from having more blood spilt.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel! Enzo will get in the carrier just fine, but when it comes to getting back in it to come home he WILL NOT get back in it. It's really imbarrassing because he even hisses!

I put food in their carriers so they would go in. I don't know if that will work for you, but it worked out great for me (but only when I'm at home).

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nat, I put them out at least two weeks before the appointment, if they are stored away - but the best plan is to always leave it out in the open, so that it isn't so scary.

Ferris and I are learning together how this all works - you know how much he loves being caged.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use to leave them out all night. In the morning it was surprising how easy it was to get certain ones in there (Whitey or Luna would already be in there sleeping).

B finally made me stop doing that. The horror of the carrier is forever ingrained in Patches and she gets so antsy when its out (according to him...she seems indifferent to me). So now its a quick apparance fo the carrier, shove and go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, Betsy since I know how hard it was with Ferris since he was feral..I am trying your suggestion. It is out now, and Trout doesn't seem to notice...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd wait till morning then wrap her tight in a towel and shove her in
Be sure to cover her head so she can't see where she's going.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'd wait till morning then wrap her tight in a towel and shove her in
Be sure to cover her head so she can't see where she's going.
I don't use a towel, but I do the sneak attack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well now she is slinking around it and looking at it as if its her mortal enemy

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Well now she is slinking around it and looking at it as if its her mortal enemy
Trouty ain't stupid!

Damita is my easiest to get in, she never sees it coming!
(Bad joke, she's blind)

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Mine go in ok. They aren't happy about it, but I don't take any nonsense from them. I did have problems with Petunia and found that putting her into a pillow case then into the carrier would work.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my old cat Penny, my dad and I used to get her to back up into the carrier by placing a towel over her head. That way we weren't shoving her and she couldn't claw us. She never was too happy about it but no one got hurt.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Trouty ain't stupid!

Damita is my easiest to get in, she never sees it coming!
(Bad joke, she's blind)
That was just funny!

I have to to the "scruff and dump" with mine.. They FREAK when I bring the carrier out..... Except Tonka... he walks in and sleeps

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neithor - just pick her up the proper way tomorrow and you shouldn't have any issues.

Sit the carrier so that the top part is open and facing the ceiling (on it's back end standing up if that makes sense) - then pet little Trout for a few moments and when she's comfortable - quickly scruff her by the neck with one hand and with the other grab her two back feet and stretch them down away from her torso (gently). (she may fight you but keep your grip and she won't get loose!). Quickly lower her (hind feet first) into the carrier. When you get to where her head is almost in the carrier - quickly let go of her hind legs and let her sit down in there - then be fast and shut the door before she can get out. Sounds complicated- but i have to put TONS of kitties (many not so friendly ones) in carries everyday at the shelter- that is the best technique for getting them in the carrier quickly while avoiding being mauled
Good luck!

Also- you really should start leaving the carrier out for her at home all the time- (you can take the doors off so it won't shut on her or take a rubber band and pull it back with it. - put her favorite blanket and some yummy catnip in there for her and just leave it alone- she'll eventually learn to feel comfortable in her carrier and not to fear it whenever you try and put her in it- it will make things a lot easier on you in the future when you need to transport her!
Make the carrier a positive place (put treats, food, catnip, a blanket/etc) in there and she will learn that it's not soo bad after all!

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If Trout is anything like my sister's cat Ginger...
Ginger THINKS she hates the carrier until she gets to the vet and scrambles back in it for dear life after the vet takes her out!! Sending calming your way.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I took Mattie to the vet I left the carrier out all night and she had no interest in it. Mine opens from the top so it's easy to put her in it though.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

Mine opens from the top so it's easy to put her in it though.
That's what I was going to suggest, would be much easier to get a carrier hating cat into a top opening.

I'm lucky with my cats, I keep the carriers stored away and each time I bring them out they climb in because they're so nosy