I want to Breed

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eventually.

I know the guidelines of responsible breeding, etc, and I'm not looking at this as a way to make money, but a way to work with one of two breeds that I particularly love.

Hopefully within the next five years, my husband and I are probably going to be looking towards purchasing our first "breeding pair" (so to speak) of kittens, raise them from kittens, and breed when they are old enough to do so. I'll probably be popping in and out of the breeding forums between now and then, too.

I want to work either with Persians (doll-faced, preferably) or Ragdolls. I'm curious as to the experiences of others (breeders and owners) in terms of the choices that we have to make in this case.

Would you prefer to work with one breed over the other? If so, why?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't think I was supposed to put this topic in here, but I guess it was the right place after all! I hemmed and hawed!

As we're expecting next month, catcaregiver, we've got the human breeding under control

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

I didn't think I was supposed to put this topic in here, but I guess it was the right place after all! I hemmed and hawed!

As we're expecting next month, catcaregiver, we've got the human breeding under control
So I know this is OT but since it's your thread maybe you won't mind.
Are you expecting a boy or a girl?

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

We aren't finding out, so it's going to be a surprise. DH thinks boy, I think girl. Go figure!

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

We aren't finding out, so it's going to be a surprise. DH thinks boy, I think girl. Go figure!
Oooohhhh I was going to ask if it was going to be a surprise but I erased that! Well great! Whatever the baby is I hope s/he is healthy.

Ok, so now back to the intended topic of CAT breeding.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO before you jump on the breeding bandwagon, you should start with choosing ONE breed and getting a good show alter and use that cat to learn EVERYTHING you can about the breed - inside and out.

Learn the standards - what makes a cat a show cat or a pet quality cat. Show your cat and get to know other breeders of your chosen breed. Most legit and long time GOOD breeders will not just sell you a male and female and say "go for it". They want to know WHY you want to breed, what is your goal, what will you do with the kittens, and many more questions.

You should know some genetics and more important any health problems in the breed.

A good breeder not only has researched the lines, but knows good and bad lines. You should have the cats tested for genetic problems, FELV, FIP, and any other pertinent tests before you breed.

They also write up a contract for EVERY kitten they sell. In the contract should be a guarentee on health (for a year), spaying or neutering contract (tho most breeders now will do that before selling the kitten), and be willing to take back a kitten if the owner cannot keep it. YOU are responsible for every kitten that is born.

You should also keep the kittens and train them for house rules before letting them go - ideally at 12-16 weeks for most pedigree breeders. You should socialize them so they are well adjusted cats.

If you have a male, he should be caged eventually as he WILL spray. And you can't just let him run as he will breed any time. Your male will probably not be happy with just one female as she should not be bred more then once a year. So you have to plan on keeping quality cats for him.

Its not just a one or two times breeding. If you are serious you will make it more of a lifelong commitment. Also its better to show your cats and get more then champion titles on them (grand) in whatever association you register in. CFA, ACFA, TICA and foreign countries do recognize the Ragdolls. I'm not sure if any of the "big" associations accept the doll-face Persians for registration/showing (if someone knows otherwise, please comment).

I wish you luck, but start with an altered cat and learn about the breed and show him/her.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GoldenKitty45, responsibility is a really huge issue for me. That's part of the reason that I'm not saying to my husband, as an example: "I'm going to play a lot of poker, save up some money, and buy a purebred cat."

I am of the opinion that even before adopting an animal from a shelter, it is absolutely vital to know not only the animal, but the breed of animal that you intend to be working with. Last year for a period of time I was contacting Ragdoll breeders and just asking general questions. My experience tells me that most are more than happy to answer questions to someone who is genuinely interested in, and serious about, the breed.

I might not have been clear, either -- I intend to only breed one breed. Two would be just too much, and personally I think of it similarly to a "puppy mill." How can one focus on the betterment of a breed if they are working with more than one? Perhaps a very experienced breeder, but I can say right now that that isn't me!

I'm more inclined towards the Ragdolls for a variety of reasons, in part because they are a newer breed and in part because there is so much beautiful variation within the breed itself.

Can altered cats be shown? I know that with dogs they prefer the dogs to be intact, but I wasn't aware whether or not it was the same for the cat. If that is an option, it seems to be absolutely ideal for me!

As I said before, this is not a "money-making" venture for me, but something that comes from a true love of the animal, and of these two breeds in particular. Choosing one will be hard, but I think that while my heart tells me "Persian," my head tells me "Ragdoll," again for a variety of reasons, and my heart *is* with both breeds.

Thank you for your thoughtful and thought-provoking response. If you have any other ideas or tips for me, please let me know!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome (I've been showing and/or breeding for over 25 yrs
- most of my cats were show alters, not breeding cats. I only bred them for about 10 yrs total.

Charlie is my current pedigree show cat - he's well on his way to Grand Champion in 2 different associations (CFA and ACFA). Personally its more fun to show alters as you don't have to worry about females in heat or males who WANT the females in heat.....lol

If you have similar types of cats, you can handle 2 breeds. And usually its cause they are used with each other. For example, you can work with Persians and Exotic SH's as they are allowed as outcrosses. Or Siamese/Orientals - again, you can use as outcrosses.

So go get yourself a nice show alter male Ragdoll of your color choice and start there

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are fairly new Ragdoll Breeders and I can't agree more about getting an alter to show. It opens the doors. Most reputable breeders will not let whole cats go to new breeders that are unknown. There has been many discussions about this on various Ragdoll Breeder lists. Believe me it will be difficult to get Quality cats unless you make yourself known to the community and the best way to do that is to show.

I would also be prepared for the start-up expense. It is huge. Be sure to get a good mentor. We are lucky to have a few.

Breeding has it's rewards and it's heartbreaks. In our first year we had to spay two queens that never had a litter. Had a stillborn kitten and battled a few illnesses. You'll be your vets best friend

I wish you luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marsch21

I can't agree more about getting an alter to show. It opens the doors. Most reputable breeders will not let whole cats go to new breeders that are unknown.
It's not easy (or it shouldn't be if using a proper breeder) to just get a breeding pair.

Showing an alter is a great way to learn about the cats, make yourself known to breeders etc. And it's fun!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well that's what I'm going to do. I talked to my husband about it a bit tonight and I think that we're on the right track (or rather that I am, as this will be my project to work with, not his). I'm going to start to put some money aside for costs (purchase price of an altered male show quality kitten and money aside for veterinary care as well). If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right

I do have some other questions, but as they are about a somewhat different issue, and I do want to keep this thread on track because I find it helpful to hear the experiences and suggestions of others, I will post a separate thread.

Again, thank you very much to all of you!

ETA: I think that you were a bit "hard on me," BUT, I also think that's a beautiful thing in this type of situation. I used to keep large reptiles, but because of the pregnancy, we had to rehome them (I don't want dangerous reptiles around my child, if that makes sense). Like you did here with me, if somebody came in announcing that they'd decided to purchase a reticulated python, I'd be all over it with suggestions of easier options, and "have you thought this through."

PLEASE do not change the way you handled this situation. You can't imagine how good it was to see you jump in and make sure that my head and heart were in the right place!