Thoughts on cremation

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've decided that when Popsie goes to the Bridge I want him to be cremated and kept in a beautiful urn. What are your thoughts on this. Do you think it would make it harder to let go...? I don't want to bury him because if DH and I would ever move then... well you know. I really don't like the idea of a pet cematary either. So yeah, I'll quit prattling now.

lizsto1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had our siamese Cleo cremated. I have her ashes in an urn in my curio cabinet. Cleo was my daughters cat and she wanted her cremated so I did it. It didnt make it harder to let go. It was nice to know that she was there.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a personal decision. If it's something you want then do it.
My personal belief is that the body is only a container for the spirit so when the spirit is gone I don't really have an emotional need to keep the container around. I have pictures to keep memories fresh. To me, looking at an urn of ashes would only be a constant reminder of the loss. Looking at pictures reminds me of their life.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really does depend on what YOU think. We had Marbles cremated and his ashes in an urn but it actually makes it harder on me. I will be fine and will walk by the urn and it will make me remember the horrible loss.
I can understand about not wanting to have them buried with the possibility of moving though. What ever feels best to you and will help you with the loss during that time.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want to do it you do it. I have a friend who has her cats in a lovely kitty urn.

It's in my will that when i die the kitts ashes have to be mixed in with mine, so if i go first they get kept in an urn until they die and vice versa, then we all get scattered together in the north sea

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After working at a shelter and seeing what goes on with the cremation process of the animals who have passed on- i have to say i will NEVER have mine cremated. That's just my personal opinion for this though. The reason is because when shelters/vets office creamate- they normally put all of the bodies of the animals they've had stored in their freezers in the cremation oven -all together. So instead of getting a beautiful urn with "fluffy's" remains in it- you would technically be getting a urn back with "fluffy" as well as 10 of her other friends the way most shelters/vets offices do their burns (not all- but most). So all of the bodies/ashes get mixed in with other ones. It's just not something i'd want to do with my animals bodies once they've passed- i'd rather give them a proper burial.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

After working at a shelter and seeing what goes on with the cremation process of the animals who have passed on- i have to say i will NEVER have mine cremated. That's just my personal opinion for this though. The reason is because when shelters/vets office creamate- they normally put all of the bodies of the animals they've had stored in their freezers in the cremation oven -all together. So instead of getting a beautiful urn with "fluffy's" remains in it- you would technically be getting a urn back with "fluffy" as well as 10 of her other friends the way most shelters/vets offices do their burns (not all- but most). So all of the bodies/ashes get mixed in with other ones. It's just not something i'd want to do with my animals bodies once they've passed- i'd rather give them a proper burial.
I believe there are crematoriums where you can request that your pet be cremated alone.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ziggy died on Saturday
. I am having her cremated. I will be scattering most of her ashes under a tree she liked near my house, and the rest will be put into a tiny kitty urn, decorated with small gems.

IMO, cremation seems like a more free way to go, because when the ashes are scattered, they are taken with the wind. I don't like the idea of burial, it's almost like being trapped if it were in a small coffin.

By keeping some ashes, I will have Ziggy close, no-matter where I end up.

Ziggy is being cremated alone. I had to pay more for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Nikki that's true, so you have to request that you want a private cremation like our member Sadie did(Sadieandziggie)
I believe there is a funeral home where I live that will cremate pets so I'm sure they would just do Popsie.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had my dog cremated in Australia, it makes it hard for my parents because they put it just above their televison set and they were constantly looking at it!

i got my Rabbit cremated this year, here in germany they dont do it, but they have a service that they transport the animals to Holland, Im glad i did it, it doesnt make me sad, its just a treasure for me

When T and K pass on, they will be cremated too and be put into a lovely urn not just in a metal box

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I live in an apartment I will probably have my cats cremated. They are only four years old so I hope it is a long way off. The vet's that I take them to will take care of getting it done at a local funeral home. I used to work with a woman whose brother went to the same vet and had a cocker spanial PTS there. He got the ashes back in a really nice box which he didn't replace because it was so nice. They also took a paw print on really nice bond paper and put a lock of hair next to the pawprint. With a short hair pet, I don't know if the lock of hair would be possible. He got that back framed. He got the ashes back the next day and it is a small vet practice so I doubt it was part of some kind of mass cremation.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't, it's very bad for the environent, which is something I care about deeply. I worked for ages for a charity which campaigned for and gave advice about 'natural burial' for humans - ie. burial in an area designated for woodland or meadow, using only biodegradable sustainable materials (woollen or cotton shroud, woven willow/bamboo coffin etc) and no embalming chemicals, where your body provides the nutrients for new trees to grow and prosper, as is the proper cycle of life. Going back to nature and having a living memorial. In this way, disused land will be planted and become well nourished woodland, part of the burial fee goes to a trust fund to keep the area as woodland for all to enjoy in perpetuity, and ongoing maintenance costs are low as there is no lawn to be mown, headstone to keep in good condition, or cemetary roads to be maintained. In England you can be buried in your own land in a similar way without needing to get anyone's permission.

All my deceased pets are buried thus in my parent's garden - my budgies have a beautiful rose bush. If I have pets that pass away and no access to a garden, I know of natural burial grounds where they can be buried and help to make woodland or wildflower meadows, where I can also be buried myself when the time comes.

I'm very much into doing these sorts of things the way nature intended.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had my beloved dog, Holly, cremated and her ashes are in a beautiful gold plated sealed box on my entertainment center. I like to think she's watching over us. It's a personal choice and like you said, if you do move, you can simply take the ashes with you. You take care, okay?

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

Ziggy died on Saturday
. I am having her cremated. I will be scattering most of her ashes under a tree she liked near my house, and the rest will be put into a tiny kitty urn, decorated with small gems.

IMO, cremation seems like a more free way to go, because when the ashes are scattered, they are taken with the wind. I don't like the idea of burial, it's almost like being trapped if it were in a small coffin.

By keeping some ashes, I will have Ziggy close, no-matter where I end up.

Ziggy is being cremated alone. I had to pay more for that.
I'm so sorry to hear about Ziggy! She will be with you in spirit forever.

vickywild

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I've always disliked the idea of animals being buried, due to the easiness of them being disturbed.

So, both my cats got cremated.
It's personal preference, I guess.

If it's what you want, do it.

!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. it's a good possibility that we'll cremate since we don't own anything right now.

However the possibility of getting Luna and/or Whitey stuffed has crossed my mine. Luna has this little pose that makes her look like a stuffed animal, just sitting on the bookcase.

Then I figure I could torture Whitey in the afterlife by stuffing him in a perminant cuddle position. He's currently hates cuddling.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say this is a personal choice.

Well
Bella
is buried and she could never be disturbed...My DH built her a tomb that has a 70 lb top on it, so nothing can get to her. She is in a casket and then that has been sealed and then she's in the tomb with the very heavy top on it and she has a beautiful Granite headstone with her face etched in it, that would rival the ones in a cemetery...probably much nicer than I will ever have...but she deserves it