Do you Get A Flu shot?

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just rememebered it is family flu shot day, because I have respiratory problems and so does my oldest, everybody needs one, my son gets so upset, this is not going to be a fun night
It is easier to take the dogs and the cat to the vet, at least I can put them in a carrier, no way my son will fit

lizsto1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont. I hope norachelhere reads this thread and takes the hint that she should get it this year!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

Nope, I don't. I have a healthy immune system.
actually, i have an overactive immune system. to my knowledge, i've never had any form of the flu. my mom says she doesn't remember me ever getting it, either. so i don't get a flu shot - waste of pain &

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am in the catch 22 group.... I have a immune disorder and can get the flu from the shot( no internasel for me )... Yet I am a caregiver and need to protect mom,.... I have the last few years and one time it gave me the flu

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a flu shot in my fridge LOL but its moms. I dont get one, I dont feel like I need one, but she works at a doctors office so she gets one every year. BUT I do have to get another shot soon for Chicken Pox... fun stuff!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never. I am lucky as I rarely ever get sick, and on the rare chance I do, it doesn't last long.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the whole I'm pretty healthy and usually don't catch things from other people, but since I have a slight case of asthma, I don't take any chances, and I always get a flu shot, every year.

I got my flu shot last Saturday. It doesn't hurt, so I don't know why the children are so upset about getting one. It just takes a second and it's over.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
everytime i get one, i get sick, so i dont think so this year,lol

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be getting mine in about 2 weeks after I finish the course of antibiotics I'm on. Mom got hers this past Tuesday.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! I got mine last Monday
It didn't hurt a bit! I had asthma so for me- catching the flu should really be avoided- it always turns into infections/pnemonia/etc when i get it and i've been put in the hospital one too many times to chance it-so i don't risk it.

I plan to get my pnemonia shot soon too. Is it true that once you've had the pnemonia shot (if you're under 65yrs) you do not have to get it again until you reach 65? Does anyone know? That's what the shot nurse told me when i was asking about it while i got my flu shot.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I don't have health issues that would put me at greater risk, I'd rather leave the available vaccine for those who do. I don't pick up every bug going around, and don't work or live with people who are at risk, either.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Is it true that once you've had the pnemonia shot (if you're under 65yrs) you do not have to get it again until you reach 65? Does anyone know? That's what the shot nurse told me when i was asking about it while i got my flu shot.
No that's not true! A pneumonia shot is given every 2 years.

I was serverely sick with pneumonia in 2004. So I got a shot in the winter of 2004 and again in 2006. I go again next year for another.

It shouldn't be any different in the USA as it's the same "shot" that is given.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No flu shots, they only make me sick.
Besides, better to leave my share for someone in a higher risk group.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did...as a nurse I'm exposed to so many sick people. In fact, we have to sign a waiver to opt out of getting the shot.

Just a little piece of information for those of you who think you get sick from the shot...it's a dead virus...it is impossible to get the flu from it. If after you get the shot, and you get any sort of symptom, you were either going to get it anyway, or it's psychosomatic (sorry, it's fact
).

Also, flu is fever, body aches, headache, chills, chest pain, cough. There is no such thing as "stomach flu"...that's a misconception. So if you have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, that's not influenza.