Chance to own and run a cattery

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just not sure if I want to or could. LOL The breeder only breeds chocolate and lilac persians. She's willing to give me a break on everything she has. Cages, cats, kittens, all of it. Not sure what her "terms and conditions" are as of yet. We (Mike and I) want to sit down and talk all this over with her.

What questions should I ask her and what answers should I expect to get back?

What all is involved with breeding and selling kittens?

Should we have some sort of contract outlining everything agreed upon if we do go ahead with this?

And anything else anyone can tell me, I will appreciate to no end. I want all information I can get before deciding as I don't want to go into this blind.

Chrissy

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about what to ask her but I would definatly recomend a sales contract of some sort.

I do have some questions for you though...

How familiar are you with the breed? and Why do you want to start a cattery?

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there will be breeders along to answer all your pertinent questions but to me unless you have a passion for chocolate and lilac persians (and it doesn't sound like you do), I would not do it. JMHO

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

How familiar are you with the breed?
That is a good question. Have you shown a Persian in the alter class? If not I recommend not jumping into this deal. It takes time to learn the standard of a breed and the only way of doing this is showing and talking with other exhibitors/breeders who show.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You realize cat breeding is a VERY VERY$$$$ hobby???

Will this breeder mentor you ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have several Persians of my own and love the breed. Years ago I did look into having my own cattery because I love the breed but things just didn't work out. The reason is the 2 cats we got just to start with we found out after we bought them that they were half brother and sister. So we got them altered and have loved them ever since.

ETA: Reply to Sharky. Yes I know it costs a lot and I'd be lucky to get anything from the sales as every penny would go back into the care and wellbeing of the cats. She did say she would take me step - by -step with this and be a phone call away at all times if I have any questions or run into any problems.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChrissyR

I have several Persians of my own and love the breed. Years ago I did look into having my own cattery because I love the breed but things just didn't work out. The reason is the 2 cats we got just to start with we found out after we bought them that they were half brother and sister. So we got them altered and have loved them ever since.
Oh ok, then I misread the tone of your original post.
Good luck with your decision. I know I couldn't do it.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

That is a good question. Have you shown a Persian in the alter class? If not I recommend not jumping into this deal. It takes time to learn the standard of a breed and the only way of doing this is showing and talking with other exhibitors/breeders who show.
Now there's something I didn't know. That I would have to show them. No, I've never done a showing as I've never had the chance to. I'll have to ask her if she shows her cats.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always recommend starting up slowly. Start showing a few cats, that way you'll learn the standard, you'll learn your cats strengths and weaknesses (very important when you're trying to find matching partners later on) and you'll meet other breeders that can share their experience and knowledge with you.

Having the help and support of other breeders is very valuable.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, here was an idea Mike had. If we decide not to take over the cattery, we're willing to take on some of her cats. Not for breeding but for pets. She says she has a male she uses as a stud as he carries the genes for both Chocolate and Lilac and she was crying over the thought of letting him go. We thought of taking him for her just to house him.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has this breeder EVER shown any of her cats? If not, it makes no sense to me to take over a cattery where you are breeding pet quality kittens and not show quality.

Even the best show quality cats, will produce some pets, but its very rare for pet quality to produce a show quality cat. Lilac and Chocolate are not common colors - I don't even remember ever seeing one in the show ring (70-90's and now). I know they exist, but haven't seen them around.

Can you pm with the cattery name and does she have a website to look at? And why is she going out of business?

If you like the colors, and want a cool pet, then adopt one that way - I'd be cautious about this - seems weird for a 'breeder" just to want to hand over all their cats to a novice person (one that hasn't bred cats or shown them).

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been doing some reading at the CFA website and getting information there about what the standard for a cattery is and so on. Most of it doesn't seem unreasonably bad. Pretty much wat I do with my DSH's.

I did look at the show information and now have an idea as to where the shows take place so when I ask if she's shown, I expect to be told where at.

So far my questions will be:

What is your cattery name and where are you registered?

Have you shown your cats? Where? and how far have they gone in the ring?

Can I get everything in writing in a binding contract?

How's that so far?

Thanks a ton everyone.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would also ask about testing for diseases and if any of the cats are positive for anything. FeLV, FIV, PKD, FCV, FHV. Has she ever had a kitten die of FIP.

If there has been recent illness breakout it can be very expensive to eradicate it from the cats and lines.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, ask here what tests have been done on the cats. And from your pm, the ones that had some "defect" (I pm'd you on it) - sounds to me like she's just breeding cats without really knowing what she's doing.

If she hasn't gotten her cats in the ring, how would she know the difference in pet/show quality.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I plan to ask that, too (about testing). The only testing she mentioned was when I told her about Rams passing. She said she had him and his sister tested and they are both fine so she knows it wasn't a genetic thing. Didn't think, at the time, to ask what tests she had done as I had lost him 2 days before.

The question about showing will be the first thing I ask her when I talk to her again. In fact, I'm thinking of composing an email soon and sending it to her because now I would like to know the answers.

ETA: I plan to see her in person tomorrow (Sunday). Both my husband and I are going to sit down and talk to her. I sent her 2 emails yesterday but have yet to hear anything from her which isn't unusual. Will update when I have some answers. Thanks!!