What color?

kittie_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help with the name of the color of this kitten. It is black on the back and brown with stripes in the face and its also white.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Probably brown tabby with white spotting. Such a cutie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittie_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I know he is such a cutie. But is it called brown tabby when it's black without stripes on the back? It's only the face that looks like tabby and the rest of him is black and white. I've never seen that color before.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is odd - but it reminds me of the ragdoll coloring of a mink which is a mix of the brown and black/seal.

I think with the popularity of Ragdolls, there are a lot of unaltered pet Ragdolls that have done a little unplanned breeding and thrown in their unique color gene to the pool!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given a choice I would go with Mink and white but, it should be more correctly be brown tabby and white.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if the body is black instead of very very dark brown, then it would be one heck of a weird color combo. But if the body is a very dark brown/black and is tabby markings, then I'll agree on the brown tabby/white.

I've only seen a few of the super dark brown tabbys. I prefer the warm honey brown tabbies

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittie_cat

Yeah I know he is such a cutie. But is it called brown tabby when it's black without stripes on the back? It's only the face that looks like tabby and the rest of him is black and white. I've never seen that color before.
In breeds (or domestic shorthair/longhairs) where you don't breed by color tabby patterns can look quite funky and/or be quite wague.

If the face looks tabby (which I think it does) the cat is tabby. It's definately black pigmented and it's clearly white spotted so you definately have a brown tabby cat wit white spotting. Some have pointed out that he might be mink, but I'm not so sure about that. It doesn't really look like a mink.

I think it might get clearer with age but I still go with brown tabby with white.