Anyone else's company use SAP?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We go live on Monday & I'm really just looking for suggestions for how to handle all of this. I've been doing it my usual way by eating everything in site, but that's getting old fast. I have to say if SAP doesn't push me over the edge nothing will.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of the girls in our office told a customer that she thought that SAP was short for "say a prayer".

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps I'm speaking more on the I.T. end of things, but my petite knowledge of SAP is that if you know it, you've become a wanted person by other employers that are willing to pay.

Again though, I don't know how much it effects the end user...probably specializes you more.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SAP stands for stop all Production.

or it could be the germans pay back for WW2

And yea, i have been doing sap stuff for hmm 8 years? first doing security, and then basis support stuff.

haha, i just love it when it breaks and it is yelling at me in german.

All you can do is your part, and hope eveyone else does there. But hmm nothing going to work right for about a month lol. the biggest headache i had was getting SAP printing as in lables to work right. That made my teeth hurt. and some of th EUrope sites had older printers that SAP did not want to play with.

The last couple of updates we have done, went off with almost no issues. the biggest issue from area now is mass security updates that wipes our all users from doing stuff.

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We tried it once where I worked (a very large company - the project was for one small department to use it). It was awful, and the idea was abandoned in a few months. Too much of a resource hog for the output.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

One of the girls in our office told a customer that she thought that SAP was short for "say a prayer".
Fantastic!!!

I use it, not at the IT support end of things, but as a user to create purchase orders and the like. For that, at least to me, it is pretty intuitive - but then I did help to design, customise, and test a similar early ORACLE system for prourement which was in use for years in government offices, so when I started a new job using SAP for just that I logged in and thought 'ah yes, I've tinkered with something very similar to your nuts and bolts before....' and just the fact I can put it on my CV is great, everyone uses it these days. It does help if you know a bit of German.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heeh the old 3.1 system did the german thing alot.
4.6 only saw it pop one error in german.

lol but it funny now, how i was sitting there, and all of sudden i am getting pop ups in german, followed a few mind later with the whole system going down. I dont know german ehe

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not to sound dumb (though I'm very good at that), but: what's SAP? Thanks!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no its not dumb at all. until i started working for the one client, i had never heard of it also.

for me sap r/3 the r being real time processing. the 3 being the third verson for windows and unix. it is used for everthing from the making of something, to tracking it, shipping , storage of etc.

lol well bottom line is very big pain in the butt software that many large world wide compaines use

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Not to sound dumb (though I'm very good at that), but: what's SAP? Thanks!
SAP is a German company which provides is a huge set application modules that cover all sorts of business processes from procurement to HR to Customer Relationship Management.

We've used it for the last 6 years and it is running ok. Our biggest problem was changing the business processes to use the software. Before that, we had customized software and so all of the depts got their specialized reports and way of doing things. Management said use SAP out of the box and customize only if they approve it. We have some convoluted pricing schemes because SAP really doesn't support the way our product managers want to do pricing.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

I dont know german ehe
Das ist ein hamburger = That is a hamburger

Ich liebe dich = I love you

Ich habe bier = I have a beer

Ich habe durchfall = I have diarrhea

Would any of that help with the error messages?

That's pretty much all the German I remember. Oh an Flughaufen is airport.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Das ist ein hamburger = That is a hamburger

Ich liebe dich = I love you

Ich habe bier = I have a beer

Ich habe durchfall = I have diarrhea

Would any of that help with the error messages?

That's pretty much all the German I remember. Oh an Flughaufen is airport.
And of course, there's always Scheisse! ;-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been so busy since we went live that I haven't even been able to check on this. I think the biggest thing for me is learning all the application codes. At the end of the first week, I have some things to fix, but over all the transistion hasn't been as bad as I had expected. The hardest lesson has been that anything anyone does affects everything else in the system. Our systems used to be very separate and the differnt areas could do what they want. Now evyerthing is linked & it requires a lot better communication. My data is all the standard data that affects schedualling, how much of something needs to be purchased, how the cores get inventoried and preety much the way eveyone else does there job. No pressure there....