Quarantine facilities in London

shadowfein

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all

I wonder if any of you can offer some help. I am moving from South Africa to London in June next year. Of course, my bugs are going with me, but have to go into 6 months quarantine.
I have been given quotes from several facilities and the three that have been shortlisted are Oceanic Air pets (aka Willowslea farm), Wey Farm and Ryslip kennels. Unfortunately none of them have pics of the actual cattery on their website - Ryslip itself looks fairly dodgy. I was wondering if any of you had heard anything about any of these facilities or knew of someone who had heard, etc?
Besides having to send them over and being parted for 6 months which breaks my heart, I am just really nervous about them going to a place where they will not be happy and well cared for.

Any thoughts?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't find all of those you mention on the Defra list of quarantine facilities for the London area

I don't know any of the approved ones personally, but Willowsea Kennels and Chingford Quarantine both adhere to the voluntary code of practice.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shadowfein

Oceanic Airpets is Willowslea farm - I will check out the Defra list as well.

Thanks guys!
The Defra website should be the ONLY place you look to get quarantine information, since they are the UK Government Department which makes and enforces legislation about importation of animals. I would not advise using any quarantine facility that is not on their approved list, no point taking any risks when it comes to your pets being allowed into the UK! Import legislation is enforced extremely strictly, and you need to make sure you follow Defra instructions to the letter.

If you have any queries about the process I strongly advise that you phone or e-mail Defra to get clarification on quarantine requirements, and transport for the cats from the point of entry to the quarantine facility etc. Contact details will be on their website.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should email the British Veterinary services. I heard recently that there have been some changes about the six months quarantine issue - at least for Malaysia who knows if that has changed for SA. We no longer have to quarantine in England for 6 months anymore (
), it's a rabies shot, then 6 months quarantine AT HOME (!) and the month before departure you have to do the anti-rabies titre test. If all is good, you fly immediately to Heathrow and apply for a pet passport on the spot with all documentation in good order!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

We no longer have to quarantine in England for 6 months anymore (
), it's a rabies shot, then 6 months quarantine AT HOME (!)
They've made that change over here as well, so it's certainly worth finding out if there are new rules for South Africa too.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The new rules only apply to guaranteed rabies-free countries, and for obvious reasons many of those are islands. I don't think anywhere in Africa is included.