How long should I leave wet food out?

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The past couple of weeks I've been working on feeding Junior later in the morning and evening so that he sleeps later. The problem is most mornings now Junior isn't finished eating the wet food in the morning by the time I need to leave for work.

Is it safe for me to leave it out when I leave? I'm feeding him about 45 minutes before I leave and while the bowl is empty when I come home for lunch, I don't know when during the morning he finishes it. He hasn't shown any signs of illness yet so I assume so far the food has still been OK.

Mez

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I leave mine out too. Jack is fed when I get up (around 6:00) and when I leave for work at 7:00 there's always a small amount left. When I get home it's gone. I've been doing this for years and he's never gotten sick from it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenwales

I leave mine out too. Jack is fed when I get up (around 6:00) and when I leave for work at 7:00 there's always a small amount left. When I get home it's gone. I've been doing this for years and he's never gotten sick from it.
Same here. I'm not a morning person so the kitties are lucky I get up in time to even feed them, never mind waiting until they finish it.

Mine haven't been sick either so I assume they are eating it in a timely manner.

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty is the same way. I have an hour to leave her wet food out. She eats most of it but when it's time for me to leave for work, I toss the rest of the food. I have read that the bacteria starts multiplying and it's not best to leave wet food out for more than an hour. I leave some dry food for her to snack on until I come home for her evening meal.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Butzie doesn't leave much in her dish and she is skinny! I feed her wet food twice a day and leave her some dry food in between. About 1 1/2 cans of food and she still weighs less than 8 lbs at age 2 1/2.
I have 2 feeding dishes and mats so I just have to swap the bowls.
I am with Yosemite. I wasn't a morning person until I adopted Butzie. Now she wakes me between 5:30 and 6:30 and I still love her!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much food is left after the 45 mins? If its only a small amount, I'd leave it, but if its any more then a bite or two, I'd take it up and maybe reduce the morning wet by how much is left. And increase the evening meal so that you are around for him to finish.

Personally I would not leave wet food out more then 45 mins to 1 hour at the most.

Charlie and Ling take about 15 mins (maybe 20) to eat their portion of canned food in the evening. Its competition for them - if one doesn't eat quick enough, the other will "help" out!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I am with Yosemite. I wasn't a morning person until I adopted Butzie. Now she wakes me between 5:30 and 6:30 and I still love her!
I lucked out with Bijou - he'll just stay snuggled up with me sleeping until I'm ready to get up. As long as I'm in bed he's happy to be there too. Mika is much the same - our daughter lets her out of her bedroom in the early morning, Mika comes into our room, gets up on the satellite converter where it's nice and warm, and goes to sleep until I get up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

How much food is left after the 45 mins? If its only a small amount, I'd leave it, but if its any more then a bite or two, I'd take it up and maybe reduce the morning wet by how much is left. And increase the evening meal so that you are around for him to finish.

Personally I would not leave wet food out more then 45 mins to 1 hour at the most.
Junior takes up to an hour and a half to eat a 3oz pouch and does it in 3-4 sittings spread out over that time when I'm home. There's usually about a 1/4 left in the bowl by the time I leave for work. However, I think he sleeps most of the time when I'm gone so I don't know if he still finishes the food in that time frame or if he takes a nap between sittings. My concern is the bacteria as ExoticBabee mentioned, yet based on calories I need to feed him 2 pouches each day. I don't go home for lunch most days so morning and evening are the only times I have to feed him.

I guess I'll just keep leaving it out and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies,
Mez

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put out as much wet food as I think they will eat in an hour. Whatever is left after an hour (which usually isn't much) I toss out.

Valerie