this why i dont log into the helpdesk phone

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wanted to be nice, help out with phone calls this morning.

Me: IT opertions how can i help you
him: my computer is not doing anything
me: can you tell me what anything is that it is not doing.
Him: nothing.
Me:
ok what do you want it to do.
Him: it wont turn on.
Me: ok now we are getting some place, when you try to turn it on,does it try to start, do you hear any sounds. any beeps.
Him: hmm i dont know, i dont have time for this why dont you just remote control my pc and tell me why it wont work.
ME: what? how can i do that
Him: well everyone else does it, they just come in and click this and that and it work fine
Me: and how can i do that if the machien is not on?
Him: oh you mean the computer has to be running for you to control it?

oh yea, forget to add,
bang head on desk, send ticket to help desk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes.
i know i am good, but i am not that good. hehe i at least need the PC to be on before i can control it

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love it Bruce! DH works in IT but is now an Unix Admin. He never came home with stupid stories like this one.

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I worked in a call center, we were to ask the customer to please tell us the customer number and keycode on the back of the catalog. The conversation went a little like this:

After saying "hello" and such:

"May I please have the keycode in the purple box on the back of your catalog"

"The what?"

"The keycode please? It's in the purple box on the back of your catalog, near the address."

"I don't see it. You said it's in the..."

>pause<

"Ma'am?"

"Oh, okay here it is in the middle of the catalog."

She gave me some obscure number that wasn't customer number or the keycode. So I had to explain to her to please close the catalog, turn it over, look at the address, and then look for the purple box, and that was the keycode. So after about 5 minutes, we finally got her order started. Our calls were supposed to only be about 4.5 minutes long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl

hahaha!!! It would have been difficult for me to not laugh at the end of that dialouge.
i have hear so many of these, type of things when i did help desk, that it does nto even sink in anymore, that why i very seldom log into the help desk line. i will stick with network stuff

hehe and that was a cute story also..

anyone else want to add one?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the people I take calls from are unbelievably stupid. They don't read the ads and all they see is "FREE,FREE,FREE." They don't both to read the rest of the ad. I spent over an hour doing what I thought was making this brainless wonder understand that you get 4 months free only if you purchase the NFL Sunday ticket. "I hate football, so I am not interested in that." We went over and over the other promotions and I thought she had it and we were going over her order at the end, just like we are supposed to. Then just as we had sealed the deal, she said, "the first 4 months are free, right?" I could have screamed and pulled my hair out (only because I could not get to hers). I could not convince her, (I tried for another 20 minutes) so finally I just said yes. Let someone in the billing department try to convince her. I have never spoken to anyone so stupid in my life! He husband was in the background laughing and trying to tell her, too. I don't know why he didn't just get on the phone.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your thread made us laugh!
That guy saying "oh the computer has to be on for you to control it?"
So hilarious!
Thanks for sharing that!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like you would love www.clientcopia.com

Occasional stories of computer idiots - including the "my computer won't turn on - well, we don't have any power in the building" ones.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I don't work on a helpdesk, but I sometimes answer the phones for my office. I work for AT&T, which I'm sure most of you know, has A LOT of different factions, from cellular to landline phone service to actual phnes and answering machines etc. I work in the yellow pages sales office. I got a call from a guy last week wanting to know where to dispose of his diabetic needles
I also had a guy call to find out where he can pay his cell phone bill....in Indiana! I work in Akron Ohio
my desk neighbor got a call from an old guy who couldn't figure out how to turn up the volume on his answering machine
I don't know where these people are gettng out number

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i wanted to be nice, help out with phone calls this morning.

Me: IT opertions how can i help you
him: my computer is not doing anything
me: can you tell me what anything is that it is not doing.
Him: nothing.
Me:
ok what do you want it to do.
Him: it wont turn on.
Me: ok now we are getting some place, when you try to turn it on,does it try to start, do you hear any sounds. any beeps.
Him: hmm i dont know, i dont have time for this why dont you just remote control my pc and tell me why it wont work.
ME: what? how can i do that
Him: well everyone else does it, they just come in and click this and that and it work fine
Me: and how can i do that if the machien is not on?
Him: oh you mean the computer has to be running for you to control it?

oh yea, forget to add,
bang head on desk, send ticket to help desk
I used to work where I had to answer phones like that!!!
I know how you feel!!!