Foster Kittens

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started fostering kittens this summer and I love doing it. I've gotten attached to certain kitties and it was very hard to give them up.
One little kitten I got was so dirty and sick, i nursed her back to health , along with her littermates. I really wanted to keep her but against my better judgement I took her back and she was quickly adopted with a littermate. I went in yesterday to drop off 5 foster babies that are ready to be fixed and adopted. I looked over in a corner at a cage that had not been there before, and to my dismay there was that beautiful torte, that i took care of along with her gray littermate. The people returned them after 6 weeks. I am so upset, I am happy that they did not just let them out on the street but still. The reasoning was, NEW BOYFRIEND, he is allergic. Well I cannot write what my comment was, it was to vulgar. I want to adopt the torte, but they do not want to seperate the two littermates. I cannot have both, I already have 7 cats of my own. I hope and pray she gets adopted..she is so pretty..long fur ..just a beautiful powder puff.
I really want her, but I will give it a chance for them to stay together.
Just had to vent a little...whats ur opinion?

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just another sad story of how people think pets are a throw-away item. I guess on the positive the kitties got returned while they are still young and "adoptable". Hopefully she will stay with this allergic boyfriend and never adopt again.

I have a multi-cat household and going from 7 to 9 wasn't really that big of a deal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take on more kitties if it were only up to me, I love them all...but, I still want to keep some space open for fostering. The supervisor at the shelter asked me the other day if she has to have a talk with me about " how many kitties are to much" I do not want to cause problems with this shelter. She was surprised to hear I had 14 at my home at one time. I just donot want to make waves. My house is clean, the kitties are well-fed and taken car of. The litter boxes are scooped out daily and washed, bleached each thursday and new litter.. I go through over 60 pounds of litter a week!
I can't get my mind off of Torte, so I am hoping when I go in tomorrow to pick up a foster...mommycat and 4 babies (abandoned). maybe they will let me have her (Torte) She loved it here, she was my little buddy sleeping right next to me and she gave kisses all the time. Maybe I need medication, I just love them!

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Laurie314

I would take on more kitties if it were only up to me, I love them all...but, I still want to keep some space open for fostering. The supervisor at the shelter asked me the other day if she has to have a talk with me about " how many kitties are to much" I do not want to cause problems with this shelter. She was surprised to hear I had 14 at my home at one time. I just donot want to make waves. My house is clean, the kitties are well-fed and taken car of. The litter boxes are scooped out daily and washed, bleached each thursday and new litter.. I go through over 60 pounds of litter a week!
I can't get my mind off of Torte, so I am hoping when I go in tomorrow to pick up a foster...mommycat and 4 babies (abandoned). maybe they will let me have her (Torte) She loved it here, she was my little buddy sleeping right next to me and she gave kisses all the time. Maybe I need medication, I just love them!
Well that is always an issue; if you want to continue having room to foster then you can't have "too many" of your own cats. Foster homes are always needed so I'm sure that shelter wouldn't want to lose you.

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well good news..I got my kitty torte, she is home to stay forever. Poor thing is sneezing something terrible..She has an untreated URI..so these people adopted her and her brother and thats it..did nothing else to follow up care..they are both sick! I was told by the adoption manager that if I got her brother a home..i could have her. So i worked my magic and a lady adopted him and torte cam home with me. My other cats do not remember her and are very pised, but they will come around. They will be lovable in no time. I also am fostering a very cold mom and cold tiny kittens...read my post on pregant mom and kitten care. sad..sad... story... I am so tired of people taking these poor babies and not thinking it through and then tossing them aside like garbage.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Laurie314

Well good news..I got my kitty torte, she is home to stay forever. Poor thing is sneezing something terrible..She has an untreated URI..so these people adopted her and her brother and thats it..did nothing else to follow up care..they are both sick! I was told by the adoption manager that if I got her brother a home..i could have her. So i worked my magic and a lady adopted him and torte cam home with me. My other cats do not remember her and are very pised, but they will come around. They will be lovable in no time. I also am fostering a very cold mom and cold tiny kittens...read my post on pregant mom and kitten care. sad..sad... story... I am so tired of people taking these poor babies and not thinking it through and then tossing them aside like garbage.
but Laurie, they didn't throw her away. they took her to a place where she was safe and you got her. please don't get jaded and think all people with allergies are liars or irresponsable.
and I'm glad you got her back and that her brother also got a home.

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand what your saying and i know i sound very bitter...I am so glad they brought her back and i was able to get her back. I am still upset becauses she has a bad untreated URI that should have been taken care of by her vet....and they did not do that. She is so congested...I've also noticed thoughout the last few days that she is scared to jump up on the couch and lays on floor. My cats sleep on couch, bed, pretty much wherever they want. She is not as carefree...she will come around...got to post a picture..she is very unique...long haired torte

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you got your beautiful Tortie. I'm fostering my first family...a mama and her four kittens) I've had them for 6 weeks and will probably be taking them back next week. I've grown so attach to them and especially their mama who just seems to have had a rough go of it in her short life so far. I hope there is a happy ending for all of them..it's going to be tough to let them go but our shelter is having to turn away cats because there is just no room and not enough foster homes...so I as much as I hate to part with them all...it's time to get them forever homes so we can make room for more in need....you are doing a GREAT service...

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Torrie looks somewhat like your Kissa...well its November 28th and Torrie will be going to the vet for the THIRD time.. she was doing great and finished her antibiotics and within 2-3 days she started sneezing and getting congested. We have no other kitties with URI so we are not passing it around. She needs another dose of antibiotics because she has had this for so long. She is finally her loving, playful self and as curious as ever. Here is a picture of my Torrie.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture090.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture091.jpg