I think I have the stomach flu (TMI?)

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I have the stomach flu. I feel terrible, my back hurts and I have diarrhea. I haven't thrown up yet but I am very tired but can't sleep. I tried taking pepto bismal and it hasn't really helped that much. UGH I hate flu season!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you certain it's a virus and not something you have ate?

I can't recall ever having the "stomach flu", every time I was sick like that the timing that someone else was sick at the exact same time in the household was too coincidental.

Either way, when you eat - stick to something that won't be too rough on your stomach and remember to drink plenty of water. Diarrhea can dehydrate you pretty quickly (if it's really bad). Hope you get to feeling better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Are you certain it's a virus and not something you have ate?

I can't recall ever having the "stomach flu", every time I was sick like that the timing that someone else was sick at the exact same time in the household was too coincidental.

Either way, when you eat - stick to something that won't be too rough on your stomach and remember to drink plenty of water. Diarrhea can dehydrate you pretty quickly (if it's really bad). Hope you get to feeling better soon.
I don't know... my brother was puking about two weeks ago but I tried to wash my hands well. I don't have a lot of contact with other people at school, and since my brother was sick no one else in my house has been. My brother is making me some noodles right now, even if it is 1:30 in the morning. Thanks for the well wishes, I hope I am better soon too!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you feel better soon.

I've read the "stomach flu" is actually food poisoning.

Pepto Bismol is the best thing for diarrhea. I was told that when I ended up in the ER for food poisoning. It helps calm the stomach but still lets whatever the problem is pass through your system. Try to get some Pedialyte. It will help rehydrate you and get some electrolytes back in you.
And lots of rest!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many For you to feel better!

If anyone ever does get food poisoning, its not fun & I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I had that once from eating at a chinese food place. They've had other people get it too & let me tell you its one of the worst experiences I've had. I should of went to the hospital but I handled it...barely. The funny thing is that going to that chinese place was my birthday dinner, that was one birthday i'll always remember...
My mom will never eat at that chinese place again because I got sick, can't blame her

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Moz *hugs* i have the same thing now, and it's after i ate something from a place i don't usually buy from last night. I hope you get better soon

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had the winter vomiting virus which wasn't food poisoning and it was horrendous; severe diarrhoea and vomiting. I feel for you. Boil some 7up/sprite and let it cool a little then sip it. I find that great.

ethereal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

When my sister had it, her doctor told her to drink gatorade, and she said it helped.
Really? I thought you werent suppose to drink sports drinks when your sick, because theyre full of sugar.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hon, I hope you feel better soon. I don't know what your weather has been like, but the temp here has been so up and down that there are viruses all over the place. We had a nasty stomach virus go through work a few weeks ago that sounds very similar.

One thing I found that does settle the stomach (I don't know why) is drinking jello. Make jello and instead of letting it set up just drink it after it cools down a little. DH and MIL swear by it, I never tried it until a few weeks ago when I came down with it, but honestly, it does help with nausa. I don't know if it helps coat the stomach or what.

One good thing, if it is the same thing that went through here, it doesn't last long. I felt drained for a few days, but the worst was over in 24-48 hours.

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I get stomach sick the only thing that works for me is classic coke. I never drink coke onless I'm sick. I know coke syrup was one of those old time remedies for stomach problems.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also try ginger water - sweeten to taste & do only a sip at a time (ginger helps ease nausea and supposedly helps regulate your electrolytes). Raspberry leaf tea will help ease the cramps & diarrhea. Kaopectate works well for the diarrhea by regulating the water in your intestines - I much prefer it to Imodium.
Sending healing vibes to you